Video My dishtv experience: A complete review

neo001

Disciple
**** I am a dishtv user for about 2 years and i thought this was the right time to review a product after having a good amount of exp in using dishtv.*
***** ***** I was just reviewing this product since begining as i have selected this product way back in 2005 and that time it was the only option available for me and the reason of choosing dishtv is i am fed up with my cable hassels and worst quality services offered by them.
** I have choosen dishtv and with in 48 hrs of my purchase the product was installed at my house and all channels were started working*,
first , i was amazed by the picture quality its was just like DVD very crystal clear picture and great sound.
* second, At that time they don't have that much channels but by know they have almost 175 channels and i suppose they have all the channels which i can think of to have on my tv. and even right know also after tatasky entered into market but still they don't have that much of channels to offer and that was best part of dishtv also they have a wide range and variety of regional channels which right now nobody is providing other than dishtv.
*** Third, if talking about their customer service and hardware, though i can say their customer service is not the best but still i feel its better then others( even i can say its better as compared to Tata sky which most of my friends say, but i cannot comment on that as i have not exp Tata sky). and also talking about their hardware its good till now i haven't face any problem with the hardware and working fine.
Further their remote is very user friendly and light weighted ( whereas i have seen tatasky remote which is little bigger in size and more bulky) and also i like their EPG system very much which gives us update on program schedule on any channel also reminder and alert facility is pure value added to the service.
**** Further talking about their valuse plus services, like active services and also games, active movies,sports, news are just awsome which gives us a feel of having complete entertainment in one package.
*** Pricing : at that moment price was a little on higher side but now its more affordable and economic then others.*
* Their payments option are also in wide range and provide us flexibility like ITZ cards, credit card, retail outlets money order , check and draft facility are good enough.
*** The only proble which i face was in rainy seasons and in bad whether, where signal are completely off for a while and then restore in some time say 2-10 min.

** Rest what all i can say is its a good product in all with having good features and good no.of channels.*** and what i can suggest if any body is looking for a change,*dishtv is best option available but before buying try to check others as well, as this was solely my views on dishtv.

Anyone who has seen both tatasky and dishtv in operation ,will agree that tata sky is better than dish tv. The only advantage that dish tv has over tata sky is PVR ( digital video recorder) and some useless regional channels
which not many watch.

And dish tv customer service better than tata sky :D:D:D:D that's news to me!!

^^ Lol!! i enterred the wrong smiles in the above post!!
Anyway dish tv does have zee mgm..a channel which tata sky doesn't show.

1]Cust service is the same with both. [Avg at best]

2]Recharge cards for Sky is more easily found [Bangalore]

3]Quality seem equal on both. [Good]

End of the Day its abt wat u want.

there is definite difference in quality.

Watch channel like discovery / Discovery T&L, Star Movies on both side by side in any store that sells both these and you will notice obvious difference in quality. The Dish image is kinda soft and grainy. The difference is much worse on big screens. ( Both suck on big screens but Dish is just unwatchable with all those compression artifacts. ).

Tata service has been very good. My showcase orders, channel / package activation has been prompt. Activated within seconds of phone call. There has been no issue as such so never had to go beyond this for support. That tells something.

Those monsoon hiccups occur even with tata sky,,,

And even tata sky service is good, i suppose the only reasonable difference between tata sky and dish is that in dish, even when ur subscription is over u do get some channels,, which are free to air,,,whereas in tata no channel is on air,, but u recharge and in 2 min u get ur channels back,,,nice...

Hmmm, folks did u ever wonder about the behind screen?

1. Its the same technology that is used by both. Hence are at par with each other. That brings to quality, the next one.
  2. It's simple mathematics, both have same fixed bandwidth. Now its there marketing strategy to decide about no of channels vs quality. DishTV thinks about huge variety of audience and hence they have high no of channels. TataSky target mainly the city audience. Consider the case when you rip a dvd to fit into a CD, you choose the bitrate(hence quality) so that it fits nicely into a CD, in some case (for e.g. cartoons) you can fit two dvd's into one CD with lower bitrate.
  3. This is what the war is about, number versus quality. I am a customer of dishtv for last 3 years and have seen them vary the codec all the time to accommodate the number of channels.
  4. You may not need some regional channels, but that does not mean that people at villages don't need them. I love traveling to remote places and have seen them using dishtv vs tata sky for the exact same reason.
  5. One thing I hate about Tata Sky is I can't watch free channels if I dont wish to continue paying subscription, bloody thugs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: , this is the M$ monopoly practice that we all hate about.

^^ even lately dishtv has stopped allowing ppl to view free channels after subscription is cancelled. i cancelled my subscription abt 6 months back and after abt 2 months if i switch on the stb i get "contact customer care" screen

which is blue like windows BSOD :)

linuxtechie said:
Hmmm, folks did u ever wonder about the behind screen?

1. Its the same technology that is used by both. Hence are at par with each other. That brings to quality, the next one.
  2. It's simple mathematics, both have same fixed bandwidth. Now its there marketing strategy to decide about no of channels vs quality. DishTV thinks about huge variety of audience and hence they have high no of channels. TataSky target mainly the city audience. Consider the case when you rip a dvd to fit into a CD, you choose the bitrate(hence quality) so that it fits nicely into a CD, in some case (for e.g. cartoons) you can fit two dvd's into one CD with lower bitrate.
  3. This is what the war is about, number versus quality. I am a customer of dishtv for last 3 years and have seen them vary the codec all the time to accommodate the number of channels.
  4. You may not need some regional channels, but that does not mean that people at villages don't need them. I love traveling to remote places and have seen them using dishtv vs tata sky for the exact same reason.
  5. One thing I hate about Tata Sky is I can't watch free channels if I dont wish to continue paying subscription, bloody thugs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: , this is the M$ monopoly practice that we all hate about.

Actually Tata has more transponders iirc 12 against 6 of dishtv as well. So in future there will be able to increase the channels which they are already doing and still keep the quality.

About the FTA channels. By the new TRAI regulations, soon all DTH providers will be forced to air FTA channels at minimal cost. FTA does not mean its totally free. Rs.75 service charge must be paid to get all FTA channels. So if you do not renew even a single rupee your transmission will stop. At the moment neither TATA or DTH offer FTA pack. But from next year they will be forced to offer it.

Yamaraj said:
Do you ever post anything other than your DishTV experience? This isn't the best place for advertisements, you see!

First thing i am new to this forum, so no point of posting on ther thing, second i always like place my comments or reviews based on my exp and on things which i have used and have knowledge about that,
if you don't like leave it, why are are you so bother about that.

checksum said:
Mate, a review should be clear, and should take all points into consideration. and whats with all the ***** ?

all these *****are their because i have given space, and i don't know what wrong with formating . Mate if you tell which other points are left and why its not clear then it will be a great help for me.

eagle004 said:
Anyone who has seen both tatasky and dishtv in operation ,will agree that tata sky is better than dish tv. The only advantage that dish tv has over tata sky is PVR ( digital video recorder) and some useless regional channels
which not many watch.

And dish tv customer service better than tata sky :D:D:D:D that's news to me!!

See dear every body have their own opinion about any product and its mine opinion might be yours is different from me , i don't write by others opinion.

Funky said:
Actually Tata has more transponders iirc 12 against 6 of dishtv as well. So in future there will be able to increase the channels which they are already doing and still keep the quality.

About the FTA channels. By the new TRAI regulations, soon all DTH providers will be forced to air FTA channels at minimal cost. FTA does not mean its totally free. Rs.75 service charge must be paid to get all FTA channels. So if you do not renew even a single rupee your transmission will stop. At the moment neither TATA or DTH offer FTA pack. But from next year they will be forced to offer it.

Just to correct you Dishtv has 9 tp's of their own and 5 from dd dth so the total number of TP's will be 14 Instead of 6 .

Dish TV is offering VGA Output now which will give a much better signal on the big LCD tvs when compared to the signal of TataSky or any other cable service provider so thats a big plus for DishTV.

Darthcoder said:
Dish TV is offering VGA Output now which will give a much better signal on the big LCD tvs when compared to the signal of TataSky or any other cable service provider so thats a big plus for DishTV.

If the quality of original broadcast is bad, nothing can improve the quality on TV. On LCD TVs, both tata sky and DishTV suck if seen from close distance.
DishTV has horrible compression artifacts on many channels. The sheer no of channels they are broadcasting is the sole reason for this. They dont have enough transponders and they are increasing channels by compromising on quality.

Funky said:
If the quality of original broadcast is bad, nothing can improve the quality on TV. On LCD TVs, both tata sky and DishTV suck if seen from close distance.
DishTV has horrible compression artifacts on many channels. The sheer no of channels they are broadcasting is the sole reason for this. They dont have enough transponders and they are increasing channels by compromising on quality.

Well who is original broadcast here, dishtv or the channels broadcaster from where they recieve signal, further see if you watch prgrams from close distance then it will never be clearer watch it from prescribed distance and you will see the difference by yourself. further every transponder have some capacity of channels and they cannot put more channels then their allowed capacity even in compressed format also.

Back