Audio Xonar DX does not auto-detect Front Panel jack

Gryph0n

Adept
Just bought a Xonar DX from vercetti :clap:.

The card is working fine. However I'm facing an issue with the front panel jack sensing.

When I insert my head-phones, the soundcard doesn't auto-detect the jack. The soundcard pretends nothing has happened, and continues to output to the back-panel speakers :p. I don't even get any output on the headphones. I have to go the Xonar "Audio Center" and set my "Analog Out" to "FP Headphones", which mutes the speakers and outputs on the headphones.

Is this a known issue with the Xonar DX soundcards, or is there some setting I've missed out?

My cabby has 2 connectors for the front-panel : HD-Audio and AC'97. The soundcard is hooked to the "HD-Audio" connector currently. I'm running on WinXP with SP3 (32 bit).

My onboard soundcard could auto-sense the front panel jack, and would automatically mute the speakers when headphones were plugged into the FP. Why can't a higher end card like the Xonar DX do the same :huh:?

I did google around and found the below post complaining about no jack sensing in Vista, but said it was due to a conflict with the OS and drivers. Is there a conflict in XP too, or is it some hardware limitation of the soundcard?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1017372

Since everyone here seems to either have or recommend the DX, can someone please post if they are able to get auto jack sensing on the FP?

(useless post)

I have read about a similar issue in Linux, though not sure if its due to older drivers. I am planning on getting the DX too pretty soon so I'm also interested in the responses in general :D

It's the crappy software for Xonar issue.

For example, my onboard audio (Realtek) had much better software support. I could automatically mute back panel when I used front panel headphones or I could set it up to playback on both back panel as well as front panel (so I that I could use headphones on both without having to resort to headphone jack splitter).

I could even use Room Correction feature to set up my 5.1 setup for proper distance and boost the surround sound. Guess what, Xonar DX software can't do that. All I get is 7.1 virtual shift and it's not as good or accurate as Room Correction feature.

Seriously, I love the audio quality Xonar DX is offering but these little features that were so much daily usage convenience are gone and I MISS them. I wish Asus get their act together and get some better software support for this little gem.

From whatever i read, it wont sense jacks, and there is no other way around it. you have to go to the control panel and move from speakers to headphones..

infact, it wont even play on both at the same time, like my realtek did lol, there i never unplugged anything, just let both run together, and turn off the speakers when i needed to use the headphones.

I guess that settles it. Its either a lack of functionality at the driver or the hardware. I'm pretty sure the CM-Media chip on the Xonar DX could detect the jack, but Asus has chosen to ignore it :bleh:.

You have to wonder why these high end sound cards ignore these "minor" functionalities :no:. Most of the high end sound cards (Asus & Creative X-Fi's) dont even have ports for the Front Panel. The higher end Xonar D2X totally omits a FP connector.

Although the "lower end" DX has FP connectors, it doesnt have auto-jack sensing. From a ease of use perspective, its as bad as not having a FP connector :(.

Back