Xbox 360 Controller Help

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Hi Guys,

Just wanna confirm something. Does the normal Xbox 360 wired controller work with Windows 7? I looked around for the 360 controller for windows but was unable to find it anywhere, so I thought why not get a regular 360 controller and use it instead. Infact, one of my friend has a spare so maybe I can borrow it from him. Also, I am pretty sure that I would need some driver to make it work on windows. Has anyone tried it? Does it work flawlessly just like the controller for windows does?

Thanks.

Both, the wired and wireless controller works with Windows 7. I, myself am using the wired controller for the past 2 years (1 year on Windows 7). Windows should auto-detect the driver, if it doesn't use the MS website to get the latest driver.

Wired Controller is the best , wireless controller gets into the mess of Wireless Receiver and others

JFYI, my room-mate got his wired controller yesterday (along with a GPU). He reinstalled Win 7 on his PC and the OS detected the controller OOTB. You may double check this by typing 'Game' within the search tab on the Control panel and USB Game Controllers. The controller should show up there.

In short, it doesn't require any driver.

Yep, the xbox 360 controller for windows (red packet) and the one specifically for 360 (green packet) are essentially the same. On windows 7, no drivers required. Plug and play with awesome controller support for the games that support it.

macchi12345 said:
bought recently from lamington road for 1250 : wired one - working great!! bought specially for formula 1 game!!!

Is this original xbox 360 controller from microsoft ?. I think its a chinese make.. Because my cousin said that the original ones are very expensive ....

anfjavid said:
Is this original xbox 360 controller from microsoft ?. I think its a chinese make.. Because my cousin said that the original ones are very expensive ....
All the controllers and consoles are M.I.C. Not sure what your cousin was referring to. And yes, this is the authentic controller retailed by MS with a 3 months' replacement warranty. It comes in 2 types of packaging - this and this.

I have the former bought roughly 3 years back and IINM the newer ones retail in the packaging shown in the other link.

I have a normal 360 controller for windows. I recently ordered a call of duty xbox 360 controller - purely coz it looks damn neat :) Call me crazy but i love those red lights on the analog sticks in the dark.

As for the query, a 360 controller works out of box with win 7. For xp, you need xinput drivers avl at Microsoft site.

Bluffmaster said:
Has the prices been increased? Got the controller from croma a few days back for rs. 2100.
OH NOES! They always sell it at MRP. You should have got it off Prashant. He was selling it for 1.3k I think.

Nah ... I got the wired one. Actually it was an impulse buy, I was out shopping at croma with a friend when I spotted the 360 controller, the temptation and my impatience got the better of me I guess. :( But anyways, I can't say I am too happy with the controller, maybe thats just because I am used to the dualshock.

Bluffmaster said:
But anyways, I can't say I am too happy with the controller, maybe thats just because I am used to the dualshock.
I had the same feeling when I got the controller. I felt the analog sticks were way too far apart and was in paranoid as to how I would get used to it. Give it some time and trust me, the Playstation controller would eat dirt in front of it. I use it for pretty much every game these days, even FPS ones.

On a side note, my room-mate's controller's force feedback conked out. Seems like it did few days back and he did not notice it. I was playing a level in NFS HP casually when I noticed this issue - the motor is vibrating alright but does not pass on the vibrations to the body of the controller. Now, another problem is the serial number has completely faded from the sticker at the back of the controller! Nor is this serial number mentioned on the bill bought off ebay.

I have my doubts if the newer ones are poorly designed. I recall the serial number on mine fading away after almost 2 years of usage!

They don't even check the serial number during replacement, if that's what you're worried about. Just drop them a call and state the problem, if it's within warranty, they will send you a refurb one. The guy who picks it up doesn't even bother looking up for any signs of damage.

Back