x86 or x64 windows 7

i tried the 64 bit version of windows7, and had a few system freezes while playing games. A few of my older games wouldn't run either. They ran perfectly on xp though.
Other than that, windows7 64 bit is really smooth, and runs everything without any trouble. I'd go for the 64 bit version over the 32, unless you play a lot of old games.

If you use a lot of softwares stick to x86. You can upgrade to 3 gb at a later point of time, and i dont see the use of RAM more than that for a normal user.

x86bit=3.5(approx) Memory

x64bit=Unlimited Memory

I will say go for x64bit as i am using it for more than 3 months till now no issue, people faced many issues with xp 64bit but its not with Windows 7.

As for now, better stick on to the x86 notwithstanding how much ram you have. The x64 is having some issues as far as compatibility and stability is concerned.

No second thought for x64. There is no future for x86. The way applications, games etc are being developed considering x64 in mind, x86 will be soon gone.

x64 is money spend well if you can afford the cost else if you are never going to go more then 4GB RAM in the near future then x64 wont be of much benifit to you.

I've been using Windows 7 x86 for over a year now. Now recently I switched to Windows x64. My config is in my signature.

When I finished installing, I felt that everything was running a bit faster than usual. It may have been because the installation was new. The most practical real life test which I rely on is Adobe Photoshop loading time. It generally took around 5-10 secs earlier. But, with x64, it takes exactly 3 secs! Today, even after 3 months, it's the same.

No compatibility issues so far. Have been able to install all programs and games that I had earlier without any issues. :)

^64BIT OS is just fine. It has WoW (windows on windows) emulator. This enables the 32BIT native applications to run seamlessly. They will show with a "*" next to them in the explorer task manager.

I used WinXP 64BIT and now Win7 Ultimate 64BIT. Absolutely no issues. Stable, rock solid.

crvinay_4u said:
which version of windows 7 ultimate should I get for e5200 with 2gb ddr2 ram?Urgent buying today.

Konquerror said:
Yes, the retail box comes with both x86 and x64 DVDs.

@crvinay: This means things are not as urgent as you think they are. Just buy the version you need.
Offtopic: Does the Ultimate version provide anything more than extra language support and a Bitlocker application? source

Back