x220: i3 or i7. Kindly advise.

vela.faltu

Disciple
Re: x220: Rest Pad [Kindly advise]

vela.faltu said:
Thanks for your reply Bottle. If anybody has experience with this thing, please let me know.

Had used it briefly sometime back & don't remember much about the palm rest (so i'm assuming it wasn't a problem for me); Will check it out again in Office on tuesday & update.

s_anuj said:
Had used it briefly sometime back & don't remember much about the palm rest (so i'm assuming it wasn't a problem for me); Will check it out again in Office on tuesday & update.

i got an new x220 from office yesterday and was using an X201 in last company ... Seems adequate and not facing any issues

Also i got one with extended battery and battery under normal usage is around 7.5 hrs and more :clap:

After doing a lot of research about a month back, I zeroed in on the x220 with i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, IPS display. Unfortunately, lenovo thinkpad forums report that this laptop has throttling issues with the i7/i5 processor. I talked to lenovo customer care representatives a couple of time who said that most customers are happy with the product with the i7 processor, and only some people are complaining. When I pointed them to the forums, they said we cannot say with complete guarantee that the x220 will not have throttling issues. I talked to a fellow who also has the x220 with the i7 processor. He said he does not have any problems.

As a result of this throttling mess, I started looking at a high end netbook like the x121e/x120e/macbook air as I need a small laptop in addition to my old 14" laptop. The prices of such laptops is > $500. On the other hand, the x220i with the i3 full voltage processor, 4 GB RAM, IPS display is around $850.

I am willing to spend $1400 for the i7 or the $850 for the i3 version. The issue is I don't want to buy a $1400 laptop which later turns out to have throttling problems because it'll have to stay with me for at least two years.

I guess for general use most people would not notice the throttling isssue, its only when the cpu is severely stressed that people run into it. You could ask your friend to run OCCT and see if it exists or not.

Apparently they have issued a bios update that fixes this issue. You should keep a track of this thread before you decide X220 Bios 1.21 Update Released

Also people have suggested that getting the 90W AC adaptor seems to provide enough juice to avoid throttling.

Anyway IMO i7 is overkill so why not get an i5 as a compromise?

Dear Dexter,

Thanks for the link. The throttling problem for everybody has not been resolved. Kindly advise. I would really like to go for the i5 processor but I am hesitant in ordering the same because of this throttling issue but I am ambivalent about ordering the i3 version because it might not be as powerful.

Cheers,

Mr. Nobody.

I posted in your other thread too. Stick to one thread please. :S

Anyways, as you said the BIOS update fixes the issue, but not for all. I think i5 would be the best choice, but for now it would be wise to wait some time to assess the situation.

I use the X220 with Win XP and BIOS 1.19 .. i am not facing any issue with throttling though ...

Depending on your usage u may consider i3 or i5 .. but i5 seems to be the way to go ... overall this is excellent laptop

Back