Linux working TV Tuner card and PVR on linux

Spikywits

Disciple
I was using compro videomate TV card until few months back before it went down and bought a aver TV volar USB in replacement.

The new tv tuner card I bought is working well under windows 7 with the pvr bundled. I tried almost all major distros none could able to detect and install my usb tv tuner and there is no support from vendor as well.

Now Im thinking to buy a new internal tv card which should support all major distros and suggest me a PVR software in linux that should able to capture live tv progs and record in atleast mpeg2.

Hi,

Please see hardware compatibility lists:

* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimedia

Good idea is to use google and search for <device name> linux driver to see issues people have had with a particular piece of hardware. General Guides etc.

For PVR,

you can try About Mythbuntu | Mythbuntu which is Ubuntu + MythTV. other option is http://www.linuxmce.org/

For reference, see the full list of All PVR software:Comparison of PVR software packages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw, which is your present TV tuner which is not working?

Well right now using this AVerMedia AVerTV Global - AVerTV TV Tuners and Multimedia Products - AVerTV Volar GO

I heard pinnacle has stopped production on their analogue card. I prefer something that should work out of the box and would be great if it has drivers by vendor itself.

I do have my compro card previously working under fedora and arch but it failed to record live tv shows and not properly configured under mythtv or other pvrs.

I need a card that is new and should be supported for next few years.

I have a Haupague PVR 150 MCE working with Mythubuntu (including IR Blasting !!!). Unfortunately it went beserk after a few days, something wrong with the ext4 fs, some config files went missing. It was a pain to setup properly but i loved it when it worked.

Mythubuntu should work with all BT8x8 chipset cards, Compro PVR cards (based on SAA71xx) should also work, provided you have a beefy system which can cope with the realtime encoding.

If in your budget, get a card with a hardware encoder, which will be easy on your system resorces. The Haupague PVR 150 has a hardware encoder.

Bobby

Does Haupague PVR 150 supports windows 7 as well? I don't see their support for recent os'es in their website.

Any online link from where I could it? Are there better cards..budget is not a constraint and analog card would be just enough for me as I'd be connecting just my tata sky to it.

Back