Wiring my House. Need inputs.

@djmykey not sure about the coaxial cables. I am getting it from a friend's shop. He said the cables are the same which he uses for TATA Sky installations so shd be good...Bandwidth wise its RJ11 cat cable. (Not sure so just trusting him )
Visited Amanora mall yday. There was a shower panel that could simulate shower nozzles flow and force on music. Had led and what not stupid features like temp display and rain dance mode.... Was a bit funky item as it was chinese... but cost wise it was italian.... 1.3L :D
Got some very good Godrej locks yday from Home Town. They are having a Godrej liquidation sale there so check out many of the godrej items for very cheap prices. more than 70% discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
@onlyravi RJ11 wires are very thick and strong. They are used as main lines to take signals over long jumps. They hate being bent and getting a connector installed on them is a pain. The inner core wire of and RJ11 wire is so thick that it mostly affects all connectors that you connect it to. If the wire is not as thick as your thumb then its ok. If it is then ask you friend to install a RG6 wire. RG6 wires are used for internal wiring and giving connections.

Update:
Installed all CAT 6 cables, concealed them in the wall. Only the bedroom cable is remaining which should be done by Monday.
The Good thing is that the concealed installation is done such that any cable can be changed later on if required.
Used up almost 110meters of Dlink Cat 6 cable :)
Also installed the twin cables from terrace to TV Unit for DTH (DVR in future)

@varkey Dont know exactly since I got it from a friend's shop. He had a 305Mtr bundle. I used up 110mtrs. He will charge me 7% above his purchase price for everything I buy from his shop and Rs200/day for the electrician. Attaching two pics of the wire installation near the main TV unit. This will be like the center point for all cables.
20130505_183718.jpg
20130504_114026.jpg

Update time: Finished all the cabling last week. Actually only Bedroom part was remaining which got stuck due to the stupid LBT stuff. All my renovation work was halted for almost 15 days :(
Anyways... so now all cables are in place. Beauty is that the cables are installed concealed in such a way that most of the cables if required can be replaced ....
Also got the 4 port faceplate from AMP Netconnect.and DLink Cat 6 jacks.
Waiting for the painting work to finish.... to hang these faceplates and connect the cables...

ya Sure. I have few pics of the wiring being done but for some strange reason not able to upload it... will try later.....

Put two Rj 45 connector near tv.
Ok. My media unit is below the TV so I can pull more cables from the switch / router if required.
I will post a pic of the media unit which will give an idea of how things will be placed.
The media unit is ready... just waiting for the wallpaper guys to apply wallpaper over it....

20130617_194707.jpg
Punch down impact tool to punch CAT 6 Cables in keystone jacks.
Network lan tester to test all connections once punched.
20130617_194650.jpg
Two 18module surface box with 3pin / 2 pin sockets and switches for powering all devices in the media cabinet.

Completed one board's wiring. I like the neatness of the wiring... took almost half hour but it was worth it.
20130617_221636.jpg
Back side of board one.
20130617_222229.jpg
Front side of board one.
2013-05-29 08.13.31.png
4 port wall plates from AMP Network. Cost Rs 70 each.

20130425_230110.jpg
CAT 6 Key stone jacks from DLink.
20130425_230315.jpg

Actually I have been totally exhausted from all the renovation/shifting/office work. So I am lazying out currently....
Also I have many guests visiting after I shifted to my new apartment so this thing has taken a slight delay to complete....
Other reason is that I need to purchase few equipment such as a Bluetooth audio receiver, gigabit switch and logitech harmony smart control... but I am not in a mood to spend on all this for a month more....
But I will atleast try to complete the wall jacks and wiring interfaces and post few pics in next week.

Actually I have been totally exhausted from all the renovation/shifting/office work. So I am lazying out currently....
Also I have many guests visiting after I shifted to my new apartment so this thing has taken a slight delay to complete....
Other reason is that I need to purchase few equipment such as a Bluetooth audio receiver, gigabit switch and logitech harmony smart control... but I am not in a mood to spend on all this for a month more....
But I will atleast try to complete the wall jacks and wiring interfaces and post few pics in next week.

Instead of bluetooth,
I would suggest apple airport express.
In case you are in apple iTunes ecosystems.
Works far better.

I tried three solutions before settling on this .

First was hauppauge device which was over usb dongle to device.
I was not happy with its cabling.
So gave up.

Later on got bluetooth gateway like yours plan.
That would stutter and not be clear audio.

Finally got this airport express.
Works flawless and cant be happier.

@pratikb
I like the airport express concept and it also supports Toslink but the only probable scenario I will be using this is to stream music from my Note 2 device or my laptop to my Logitech Z905. I know I will get only stereo output but I think thats ok.
Note-2 - Android.
Laptop - Windows.
RPI - Linux
No apples in my ecosystem yet :D

Back