Windows 8 - Feedback thread

Windows 7 is great for desktop and should suffice for some time to come just like Win XP had .....

And would actually prefer Windows 8 on a touch tablet ones actually where it will be of much more easy to use

So is Windows 8 on the desktop too difficult to adjust to if you dont have a touchscreen ?

btw i got 4 keys of windows 8 so will actually give it a try

So getting random BSODs (every few mins) under Win 8. Running on an HP DV9704TX. The Nvidia driver got updated to the latest and then the BSODs started. I reverted back to the old driver but they still persist. Running in safe mode is no problem at all.

Okay...here is my take+rant:

I used the promotional code and paid INR 699 and DL'ed the ISO. It took like 6-7H on my 2mbps connection. After I got the ISO on my desktop I copied to my other system, and using the Win7 USB Builder tool created a bootable drive for my NetBook. The installation took like 15-20 minutes and after the final re-boot I was "shocked" that it takes like 70s to reach the desktop. The OS is quite seamless, and during installation only it connected to the wi-fi.

Installation:

1. Is just like Win7 -till- the first reboot.
2. M$ Now starts to ask you a ton of BS about Windows IDs and some email accounts. Which can be ignored too, and you move forward.
3. It also asks you to create a user ID and password for system entry. I do not remember if this was voluntary. Later on this became a PITA, and I had to Google how to disable it.
4. Almost before the desktop it connected to the WiFi and asked some mail IDs.
5. Then it told me, I have tried too many times, and I skipped the step.

OS and Metro and Desktop:

1. Ok...it is layered now. You have a Metro tile area (MTA) and then a desktop. Took me a while to realize that the WinKey (WK) can be clicked to toggle between the two.
2. I say a plethora of tiles on the on the MTA, and gleefully clicked on one. "This App cannot open/Change your screen resolution". Major bummer. Metro tiles are supported on 1024 x 768 or greater. So if you are running on a netbook lower, be ready for frustration session. There is a REG hack for this, which I implemented, but then the whole experience suddenly='ed SH*T. The hack enables for the Tiles to run, but then it asks for the IDs you set up in Installation. Now if those failed, you go to another in-tile browser to sign up. And I got (5) from installation. Pissing off. Anyways I undid the hack. But the dynamic tiles are updating, example: Weather.
3. The OS is a lot about short cuts, which you would all know. Control WK+I; brings up settings to the right on a vertical panel and changes can be done.
4. All device drivers that were required, were embedded and showed in green. Not bad.
5. OS is really really fast and snappy. My NB is performing faster, but that could be probably due to no virus client, but I doubt that will create a big differential.
6. Task Manager is really cool and trendy and shows a lot of run-time diagnostics.

Google Chrome Fiasco:

I installed Google Chrome, and it was running just fine. It was even launch-able from the MTA. I cannot remember, I did some setting change in Chrome, or clicked something weird and I started to get the persistent "This App cannot open/Change your screen resolution". I uninstalled it, and re-did the install, but it prevailed. It tried: Compatibility changes, force immersive switch, dev. channel download but it is just not working. I HAVE TO HAVE CHROME. Will probably clean install tomorrow. This really irritated me, and that is why I am up till 2:25 AM....!, FF is working just fine, and the lame donkey trotter IE is doing fine also. Incidentally I am able to launch Chrome from "run"; but it is not launching from MTA or the desktop. It is weird and funny, that it was working a while back.

Overall:

1. Fast and preppy.
2. Quick to use and navigate.
3. Crappy for 600pi resolution. M$ -should- really have thought this out. So keep this as a consideration if upgrading.
4. Not bad for 699 and some hours of sleep lost, and a long post (finally) on TE.

:)

my critique was for windows 8 and not touch monitors.where does the question of touch monitors being ahead of their time arise?? the comparision is absolutely non existent. How does this compare to a mouse being ridiculed??

Please read my comments properly before you answer.. I said that right now windows 8 is obsolete as many dont have a touch monitor or are not going to buy a touch monitor just for the sake of windows!!! Tell me if any one of you guys own an all in one or a touch monitor.. That being said when they do come in vogue, this OS will be useful, but not before

Go to richie street or nehru place or sp road and ask them how many touch monitors they sold.. further still ask them how many they are planning to sell. majority of the world still has non touch monitors.. Now tell me microsoft's logic in creating an OS optimized for touch in desktops??

Further i would like you guys not to pick out single statements and answer the post entirely. You picked up the part about touch monitors but conveniently ignored the rest about prohibitive cost of hardware, statistics about how many actually use this said hardware and the major point that we live in INDIA not USA..

That being said i apologize for any unnecessary rudeness.. sorry guys :)

@Sei
Please read before you answer.. Windows 7 was released in 2009.By 2012 they released windows 8.. Touch monitors as you said would require atleast 2-3 years to come into the mainstream(cheap enough for mainstream buyers). By then microsoft would have released another OS.. So my question is what was the hurry to release this version??

Thank you for calming down. :)

You say Windows 8 is obsolete. Obsolete means "no longer in use or no longer useful". Windows 8 is a completely new approach being tried by Microsoft. It is pointing towards the future because it is trying to bring a common platform for desktops/hybrids/laptops/tablets.

You are talking about Windows 8 as if you cannot get on without using a touchscreen. Windows 8 is as powerful without the touch mode as it is with it. When you boot up, simply press the Start Button once. That's it. No more metro UI. Use the desktop. I don't think you will ever go back to Metro UI during your entire session if you don't want to. And there are loads of tiny changes that make it vastly superior than Windows 7.

You also mention the "prohibitive cost of hardware, statistics about how many actually use this said hardware and the major point that we live in INDIA not USA". My dear friend, if everyone kept this thought process, we would have never had any technology in India. Everything is expensive when it is announced first. It seems that you did not read my reply -

If you read that again you will see how conflicting that statement really is. Advancement often starts with extremely expensive products and technologies which can be likened to experiments. However, once they mature and mass production begins, the technology gets refined and we get quality stuff which is affordable.

Okay...here is my take+rant:

I used the promotional code and paid INR 699 and DL'ed the ISO. It took like 6-7H on my 2mbps connection. After I got the ISO on my desktop I copied to my other system, and using the Win7 USB Builder tool created a bootable drive for my NetBook. The installation took like 15-20 minutes and after the final re-boot I was "shocked" that it takes like 70s to reach the desktop. The OS is quite seamless, and during installation only it connected to the wi-fi.

Installation:

1. Is just like Win7 -till- the first reboot.
2. M$ Now starts to ask you a ton of BS about Windows IDs and some email accounts. Which can be ignored too, and you move forward.
3. It also asks you to create a user ID and password for system entry. I do not remember if this was voluntary. Later on this became a PITA, and I had to Google how to disable it.
4. Almost before the desktop it connected to the WiFi and asked some mail IDs.
5. Then it told me, I have tried too many times, and I skipped the step.

OS and Metro and Desktop:

1. Ok...it is layered now. You have a Metro tile area (MTA) and then a desktop. Took me a while to realize that the WinKey (WK) can be clicked to toggle between the two.
2. I say a plethora of tiles on the on the MTA, and gleefully clicked on one. "This App cannot open/Change your screen resolution". Major bummer. Metro tiles are supported on 1024 x 768 or greater. So if you are running on a netbook lower, be ready for frustration session. There is a REG hack for this, which I implemented, but then the whole experience suddenly='ed SH*T. The hack enables for the Tiles to run, but then it asks for the IDs you set up in Installation. Now if those failed, you go to another in-tile browser to sign up. And I got (5) from installation. Pissing off. Anyways I undid the hack. But the dynamic tiles are updating, example: Weather.
3. The OS is a lot about short cuts, which you would all know. Control WK+I; brings up settings to the right on a vertical panel and changes can be done.
4. All device drivers that were required, were embedded and showed in green. Not bad.
5. OS is really really fast and snappy. My NB is performing faster, but that could be probably due to no virus client, but I doubt that will create a big differential.
6. Task Manager is really cool and trendy and shows a lot of run-time diagnostics.

Google Chrome Fiasco:

I installed Google Chrome, and it was running just fine. It was even launch-able from the MTA. I cannot remember, I did some setting change in Chrome, or clicked something weird and I started to get the persistent "This App cannot open/Change your screen resolution". I uninstalled it, and re-did the install, but it prevailed. It tried: Compatibility changes, force immersive switch, dev. channel download but it is just not working. I HAVE TO HAVE CHROME. Will probably clean install tomorrow. This really irritated me, and that is why I am up till 2:25 AM....!, FF is working just fine, and the lame donkey trotter IE is doing fine also. Incidentally I am able to launch Chrome from "run"; but it is not launching from MTA or the desktop. It is weird and funny, that it was working a while back.

Overall:

1. Fast and preppy.
2. Quick to use and navigate.
3. Crappy for 600pi resolution. M$ -should- really have thought this out. So keep this as a consideration if upgrading.
4. Not bad for 699 and some hours of sleep lost, and a long post (finally) on TE.

:)

They have explained on B8 blog as to why the minimum resolution was chosen. It is clearly listed in the minimum requirements so I guess you should have expected it. The good thing is even if Metro is not available the Desktop should be much faster and better, as you are noticing.

I think a lot of people are not aware that Windows 8 comes with a built-in virus/malware scanner and does not need a separate one. (The same tech as Microsoft Security Essentials is built in to Windows Defender and it's pretty good too).

For Chrome, I think you are launching the Metro version. Chrome is pretty weird in the way it leaves shortcuts but I guess that is because the Windows 8 integration is still in alpha stage and the interface is identical to Desktop - which means it is piss ugly compared to IE 10 or any other Metro apps.

Anyway, the way to get Chrome running on the Desktop is to get back the shortcut to the Desktop Chrome app. Confusing, I know, but you can first try to change default browser to IE (away from Chrome) and see if you get the Desktop shortcut back. If not then you have to do it the hard way by navigating through the program file structure (Chrome also has a weird way of dropping files into AppData instead of Program Files sometimes...), find chrome.exe and Pin to Start.

They have explained on B8 blog as to why the minimum resolution was chosen. It is clearly listed in the minimum requirements so I guess you should have expected it. The good thing is even if Metro is not available the Desktop should be much faster and better, as you are noticing.

I think a lot of people are not aware that Windows 8 comes with a built-in virus/malware scanner and does not need a separate one. (The same tech as Microsoft Security Essentials is built in to Windows Defender and it's pretty good too).

For Chrome, I think you are launching the Metro version. Chrome is pretty weird in the way it leaves shortcuts but I guess that is because the Windows 8 integration is still in alpha stage and the interface is identical to Desktop - which means it is piss ugly compared to IE 10 or any other Metro apps.

Anyway, the way to get Chrome running on the Desktop is to get back the shortcut to the Desktop Chrome app. Confusing, I know, but you can first try to change default browser to IE (away from Chrome) and see if you get the Desktop shortcut back. If not then you have to do it the hard way by navigating through the program file structure (Chrome also has a weird way of dropping files into AppData instead of Program Files sometimes...), find chrome.exe and Pin to Start.

I was aware of the minimal resolution that currently Win8 requires, specially for the MTA. But it is fair to mention it here, and I really feel that down the lime M$; will probably disengage this constraint. Yea, I had read some nice articles regarding the reasoning. True, I will not install any virus client on my Win8 build. No point. Regarding, I got it to pseudo-work. I launched Chrome from run, and saved the page (from the right hand) as a desktop icon, and then pinned it+moved it to tiles. Nice work around for now. Still playing around. Once I have it figured out, will do a re-install. That should sort it out. Am a keeper for Win8, but not yet on my gaming rig. It has really sped up my Netbook though, which I am happy about.

having a weird problem.

the in-built webcam light has been on since installation of win8,even if im not using the cam for any related applications
i tried uninstalling the cam via the device manager but the light is still present.

any solution for the same!?

I was aware of the minimal resolution that currently Win8 requires, specially for the MTA. But it is fair to mention it here, and I really feel that down the lime M$; will probably disengage this constraint. Yea, I had read some nice articles regarding the reasoning. True, I will not install any virus client on my Win8 build. No point. Regarding, I got it to pseudo-work. I launched Chrome from run, and saved the page (from the right hand) as a desktop icon, and then pinned it+moved it to tiles. Nice work around for now. Still playing around. Once I have it figured out, will do a re-install. That should sort it out. Am a keeper for Win8, but not yet on my gaming rig. It has really sped up my Netbook though, which I am happy about.

Its MS or Microsoft, Here is the meaning of M$: Urban Dictionary: M$

Windows 8 has some good features, but my take is that these features applied to a win 7 outlook would have been better.. its true that i can spend majority of my time on desktop(and i do) but i dont understand why that should be. i also feel they should include a theme with the start menu for people who want it.. i am not talking about an OS looking like win 7, but something more in line in handling.. overall win 7 outlook with win 8 handling and upgrades would have been a win win for M$... but they are who they are :)

As for me my major workstation will still stay on win 7... win 8 is for the accesory system:)..

@asingh I saw that you wrote that it takes "70 seconds" to reach the desktop after booting. Is that fast or slow according to your standards?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ he is talking about the first boot after the windows installation ,not the regular boot of windows 8 as it takes less than 20 seconds to boot.

Guys please help me out here , i purchased Win 8 for 699, using my Legit 10 day old Laptop's Windows 7 Home Basic Key.
Can i install the OS in my PC , i don't want it on my laptop as its being used by my dad ?

1.) Once i activate Windows 8 on my PC, What happens to the Win 7 home basic license , which is in my laptop ? ( Null ? )
2.)Can i download the Windows 8 ISO from *ahem* source & apply the key , Will it work this way ?
3.) Also , i downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade assistant on my PC which has a pirated copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit installed , Shall i download the OS via Upgrade assistant or download from *ahem* source ?

Guys please help me out here , i purchased Win 8 for 699, using my Legit 10 day old Laptop's Windows 7 Home Basic Key.
Can i install the OS in my PC , i don't want it on my laptop as its being used by my dad ?

1.) Once i activate Windows 8 on my PC, What happens to the Win 7 home basic license , which is in my laptop ? ( Null ? )
2.)Can i download the Windows 8 ISO from *ahem* source & apply the key , Will it work this way ?
3.) Also , i downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade assistant on my PC which has a pirated copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit installed , Shall i download the OS via Upgrade assistant or download from *ahem* source ?

Yes you can install the Upgrade version on someother PC not necessarily the one which had Win 7, this was clearly mentioned in the FAQ.
Your Win 7 key will be working as usual nothing is going to happen with that.

2) You can download the upgrade ISO from whatever source you can think of, as long as the Checksum matches with the original one .

3) I heard that the upgrade assistant doesn't verify the authenticity of the installed version, but have no experience my self.

^^ he is talking about the first boot after the windows installation ,not the regular boot of windows 8 as it takes less than 20 seconds to boot.

True, it is like 20 seconds. Very very fast. :)

The copy/paste interface has been jazzed up...!
win8_copy_paste2.png

If you are using the upgrade assistant, then it has nothing to do with the license status of your installation. It is just a vehicle to get the ISO onto your system. I infact, DL'ed the ISO, backed it up to my gaming rig, and created the bootable USB there. Then I installed in on my netbook. It will clean install, and you shall have a legitimate copy of Win8. Go ahead, enjoy.

Does windows 8 requires Internet security or AV software any? After reading this comment on M$ page I don't think the OS even needs a Microsoft security essentials
"Windows Defender for Windows 8 and Windows RT provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8, but you don't need to — Windows Defender is already included and ready to go."

PC wont detect Windows 8 on Pen Drive.

I am running windows 7 Ultimate on an Intel Q6600 with 4 GB of Ram. I had a freind DL Win8 bootalble on Pen Drive and when I try to install it on my PC via the PEN Drive, it does not detects it and goes directly to the Windows 7 boot screen.

Whe I connect the same Pen drive to my Bro's Dell Lappy(Core i3), it detects it(on boot up) and starts the installation process.

I have configured my PC to detect bootable media ni the following sequence: USB-->CD-->HDD

What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing some settings?

NOTE: Yes, I know it can be written onto a CD and then loaded, but I want to know what settings will make it boot from the pen drive and start the installation process.

I am running windows 7 Ultimate on an Intel Q6600 with 4 GB of Ram. I had a freind DL Win8 bootalble on Pen Drive and when I try to install it on my PC via the PEN Drive, it does not detects it and goes directly to the Windows 7 boot screen.

The DL'ed ISO has to be first converted to a bootable media. Use the Windows 7 tool to convert it.

Link:
Microsoft Store Online

Whe I connect the same Pen drive to my Bro's Dell Lappy(Core i3), it detects it(on boot up) and starts the installation process.

I have configured my PC to detect bootable media ni the following sequence: USB-->CD-->HDD

What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing some settings?

NOTE: Yes, I know it can be written onto a CD and then loaded, but I want to know what settings will make it boot from the pen drive and start the installation process.
Did you try creating the bootable USB drive from Win8 iso using Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool ?

Back