Linux Why you use Linux?

vishalrao said:
Yea its strange/funny how this "experimental" OS is used for production systems in various wide-ranging applications including critical ones like finance, healthcare/medical, govt/military... you name it :p

Well Linus didn't start making it so people can run bank or military servers of it and I bet the institutions you mentioned don't pick and install a random and arbitrary Linux distribution off the Internet. They either invest in a commercial enterprise version with backing and special contracts from the distribution creator or hire expensive in house experts to maintain and customize the OS for their needs. In any case they are not going to run a bank network off a Ubuntu Live CD. :p

What ever the case, its costing them money just like any other OS to use it for such purposes. They simply cannot rely on a free OS with backing just from the open source community. When you need a fix for some critical problem, who are you going to approach to get it fixed immediately. Thats where commercialization comes into the picture. When you have a contractual or inhouse expert help, the OS would get promoted from its experimental no support state.

For desktop usage as well, Linux is far away from Windows. In every distribution I have used, there were at least some or the other problem with hardware compatibility and configuration which I would not get in Windows. Commercialization really helps in that aspect. So I would still maintain that as long as Linux is not commercialized, it would remain an experimental OS in its free to use state.

True. My company pays to a distro company and the internal linux is custom distro that is based on the actual company's distro. And the beauty is it costs less than 1000 bucks per user per quarter to maintain linux including all the udpates, building, support etc.

@lord: have you come across a bug/problem in an MS product and have had them fix it for you?

In my case they either tell me to purchase "enterprise/premier licensing" (pay bucketloads of cash) to get the newer versions or simply to F off :D

Hey guys, I've never used Linux before, so I've got a question to ask. If I suspect there's a virus in a pen drive will be able to access it blindly in Linux and delete it? 'Cause many say Windows virus can't do jack to Linux. True?

No i don't do all that, i don't like extensive customization/themes, just install and use.:)

vishalrao said:
Only if you go around installing random packages from "unknown" (less well known) sources AND you think "linux is safe" (no trojans/viruses) then yes, that is an example of "false sense of security" :D

hash said:
Hey guys, I've never used Linux before, so I've got a question to ask. If I suspect there's a virus in a pen drive will be able to access it blindly in Linux and delete it? 'Cause many say Windows virus can't do jack to Linux. True?

Almost. Usually the virus executable and folders are not visible in windows even if you set the folder option to show everything. So you can always log into linux and delete the file and/or folder. But you have to make sure that you don't delete any imp file in order to do that. Usually, the common virus are write protected ( that means you will see a lock icon on it and generally they have odd names). You can just right click on it and change the permission to read and write and then delete it. Make sure to do the same for every child folders. Another hint is a folder with <folder_name>.exe where <folder_name> is a normal existing folder.

sabby said:
Almost. Usually the virus executable and folders are not visible in windows even if you set the folder option to show everything. So you can always log into linux and delete the file and/or folder. But you have to make sure that you don't delete any imp file in order to do that. Usually, the common virus are write protected ( that means you will see a lock icon on it and generally they have odd names). You can just right click on it and change the permission to read and write and then delete it. Make sure to do the same for every child folders. Another hint is a folder with <folder_name>.exe where <folder_name> is a normal existing folder.

well, you can always use a Anti-Virus scanner in Linux for that purpose. its much easier. examples are avast,antivir,clamav etc

hey all above have mentioned the advantages of the linux but the ubuntu 9.10 is the worst 1 i have installed , it is crashing in a week with a normal browsing usage

parakh said:
hey all above have mentioned the advantages of the linux but the ubuntu 9.10 is the worst 1 i have installed , it is crashing in a week with a normal browsing usage

This is NOT normal. there must be something wrong specific with your hardware configuration or software settings

care to explain why it was crashing or what error message you got? Also, post your hardware configuration

Gaurish said:
This is NOT normal. there must be something wrong specific with your hardware configuration or software settings

care to explain why it was crashing or what error message you got? Also, post your hardware configuration

The 2.6.31.x kernel shipped with karmic is indeed buggy on some new hardware . I suffered a lot due to this :mad: finally changed the kernel to 2.6.32.5 and its rock stable now, but there are issues again with 2.6.32.6 and higher :mad:

Some regression bugs are still there in 2.6.32 which should be hopefully fixed soon ;)

nucleuskore said:
Peace of mind

The site in your sig has been hacked as of now! [#] Evil-Cod3r
dyloug.jpg

<3 <3 Arch Linux. :) <3 <3

You install it as per your liking - no bloat and only usability.

Lord Nemesis said:
For desktop usage as well, Linux is far away from Windows. In every distribution I have used, there were at least some or the other problem with hardware compatibility and configuration which I would not get in Windows.

Canon doesn't provide drivers for any of their scanners in Linux. Whom should I blame? Linux community or Canon?

Lord Nemesis said:
Commercialization really helps in that aspect. So I would still maintain that as long as Linux is not commercialized, it would remain an experimental OS in its free to use state.

We do have paid Linux distros which also come with 'paid' professional support.

Back