Which heat sink compound to buy?

It is not flipkart assured though. For some reason none of the IPA was assured by flipkart. I guess same is with amazon.

All three I posted are fulfilled by Amazon, being sold by Cloudtail. I haven't bought any product from Flipkart from quite a long time. I noticed that for same products, Flipkart always has either same price or way higher price than Amazon.
IPA is available at electronics (components selling) shops at cheaper price. I bought 500ml for Rs.170/- (Hyderabad).

Oh, that's interesting. Will have to ask here. Although, where I live, no electronics component selling shops here. Have to go very far. I will inquire at a computer shop when I go in a few days.

I've been using the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for quite some time now and it's working pretty well.
For desktops, this is the way to go. For laptops, it needs to be replaced every year for optimum cooling due to pump out effect.

I bought the Arctic MX-4 from Amazon and got it for 649/- on the sale. I also bought IsoProply alcohol from Amazon too.

Thank you to everyone for their posts.

What is everyone's opinion on the cheap ass compound that you can find in local shops?
Not recommended. it has a high risk of sticking and one can accidentally de-lid their CPU while taking the cooler out

Suggestions please.
Anything from a reputed brand that is electrically non-conductive should do.

Arctic MX-4, Coolermaster MasterGel (Pro or Maker), Noctua NT-H1 are all decent. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is top of the line with the best thermal conductivity but expensive as well

It's Conductonaut that's top of the line. That one's literally liquid metal.
Of course, liquid metal is gonna be almost infinite conductivity.

I was referring to Kryonaut in context of the electrically non-conductive compounds that come in paste form

I have used the cheap thermal paste in the past, that you get for Rs 10/- from any computer shop. It has worked without issues. But it has very bad shelf life. If you don't have a frequent use for it... it just goes bad after a while.

Dude dont suggest such chuna from some pan tapri.

I wasn't suggesting it... merely sharing my experience. And what I wrote is true... didn't have any issues. But true, quality of such material isn't that good and has to be replaced frequently.

Some of us cannot afford thermal compounds which are pricey. I couldn't have afforded these pricey thermal compounds that time. That time, such cheap materials are the options to go for. I also didn't have knowledge about these branded thermal compounds too.

Of course, if one can afford it, they should go for the thermal compounds suggested in this thread.

And please, use a better language.

I wasn't suggesting it... merely sharing my experience. And what I wrote is true... didn't have any issues. But true, quality of such material isn't that good and has to be replaced frequently.

Some of us cannot afford thermal compounds which are pricey. I couldn't have afforded these pricey thermal compounds that time. That time, such cheap materials are the options to go for. I also didn't have knowledge about these branded thermal compounds too.

Of course, if one can afford it, they should go for the thermal compounds suggested in this thread.

It is not about the duration of usage though. The mean purpose of the thermal paste is to dissipate the heat for which it needs thermal conductivity. These cheap compounds will not even conduct heat and will in fact hurt the thermal dissipation throughout the device. It is much worse applying such pastes than keeping the stock one.

In local techno lingo it is called chuna only. Walk into any hardware shop and ask for processor chuna and they will handover you that 12 bucks red/white container. So there's nothing offensive here...its the local lingo after all at least in Mumbai/Pune.

Last edited:
If you are still looking for thermal paste, here is my take.
I tried Arctic MX4, Noctua H1 and Coolermaster mastergel pro. Based on my observation and a little bit of testing, I found Notcua H1 > MX4 > Coolermaster pro..
The difference between H1 and mx4 is not much, but cm's compound is not as good as the other two.
But this is based on my PC; Ymmv

In local techno lingo it is called chuna only. Walk into any hardware shop and ask for processor chuna and they will handover you that 12 bucks red/white container. So there's nothing offensive here...its the local lingo after all at least in Mumbai/Pune.
Oh okay. I didn't know that :D

Back