Which HDMI Cable?

coolraghav said:
most of the sellers in amazon have international shipping and you aren't charged duty etc.

International shipping is not available for India for such products. Check site. I have seen they ship only books to India. Thats all

I ordered a CD from amazon, it was shipped in 20 days or so.... costed me Rs. 1200 way too much than actual price.... :mad:
stud123 said:
International shipping is not available for India for such products. Check site. I have seen they ship only books to India. Thats all

That is ok but very few/negligible items are shipped to India considering the loads of range of products available on Amazon :bleh:

ROCKFELLA said:
I ordered a CD from amazon, it was shipped in 20 days or so.... costed me Rs. 1200 way too much than actual price.... :mad:

Its not true that all HDMI cables work same. I got an unbranded HDMI cable accompanied with my Philips DVD Player. Its cost would be around Rs 600/- since DVD player was available for Rs 600 less without HDMI cable.

That cable worked fine but I did notice tiny red "sparkles" that were specially visible in dark scenes (I have a 50 inch TV).

Later a bought a high quality HDMI cable from US. After replacing the HDMI cable, the red sparkles are gone! The picture is now cleanest possible.

So HDMI cable quality does makes a difference!

anooj30299301 said:
man, check if this is 1080p if u really care, cause the MX distributor in hyderabad says he is unale to source the 1080p and he sold me a 720p for 500rs.

Care?.. I don't actually! For two reasons...

1. My Panny PV80 IS 720p.:) My DVD is currently hooked to my Plasma with it and I am able to output sound thru the HDMI as well!

2. One of my friends in the US went and did some research - He spoke to some ISF Certified geeks and came away with this info..

a) When it comes to Digital output, the signal either passes or doesn't pass. There is no concept of weak or strong signal unlike the analogue ones. So in digital (read HDMI) the quality of the cable doesn't really make a difference (provided they don't have lose contact or something or a snap in the middle)

b) Branded cable is no way superior to unbranded but good quality cable until and unless the cable length is more than 52 feet in length. This is were the usage of nitrogen gas-injected dielectric. high-velocity, silver-coated center conductors, quad-layer shielding and 24K gold contacts make a 10% difference.

c) As long as buy a good manufacturers cable (read lifetime warranty) you can be rest assured that the signal will be all the same.

d) Ensure the cable confirms to HDMI 1.3a standards, and are well shielded (minimum 3 layers), come with gold plated ferrite cones . Again these are not ensure any interference and also for long lasting purpose.

To check the HDMI specs: HDMI :: Resources :: FAQ

So the summary, save some money from Monster etc and buy a regular MX or known brand HDMI cable for your uses. He wend ahead and bought us a few US local branded lifetime warranty HDMI cables which was certified for HDMI 1.3 a with 28AWG - Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) @ 11$ !!
Summary of the HDMI cable spec:

Connector Type: HDMI male to HDMI male
Connector Finish: Gold
Length: 6ft
Gauge: 28AWG
# of conductors: 19
Conductor Plating: Tin
Shielding level: Triple
Shielding type: EMI
Ferrite Cores: Yes 7/8" thick and 1 1/2 " long. One on each side of the cable.
HDMI connector head measures 3/4" thick by 1 3/4' long.
Net Jacket: No
Built-in Equalizer: No
Supported Resolutions: 480i to 1080p
Bandwidth: up to 340 Mhz (this helps to ensure speeds upto 10.2 Gbps)
HDMI Certified: Yes
HDMI Spec: 1.3a (Deep colour, lip sync,)
Category 2 Certified: Yes
HDCP Compliant: Yes
CEC Compliant: Yes
ROHS Compliant: Yes
1.3 Device Compatible: Yes
Supports DVD Audio: Yes
Supports SACD: Yes
Supports TrueHD & DTS-HD: Yes (totally uses blue-rays ability)
UL Specs

UL File #: E119932
UL Style #: 20276
CL2 (In-Wall): No
VW-1: Yes
Voltage Rating: 30V
Temperature Rating: 80° C

I have three of these coming my way!! (DVD + PS3 > AVR > Plasma):clap:

Hei Kb100,
If its 720p tv then nothing better. i recently called MX distr. for their 10180 and he asked to call bak coming Satuday. Will keep posted. I am in no way against sastha bhai. Was just pointing that only 720p available in Hyderabad from MX and incase 10180p needed do not be mistsken whlw buying.

Bought one today from Nehru Place. Rs. 450 (3 metres) - good build quality, came sealed though unbranded. Works well with 720p and 1080p. Don't forsee any problems. Bought it from a hole-in-the-wall shop called "Computer Peripheral Services" (Phone: 26282367) if anyone is interested.

Back