Which computer/electronics companies have you had bad experiences with?

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Quite a few

LG: Failed to fix my microwave even after two attempts. The device itself was a bit cranky right from the beginning.

Haier: No support at all for a clothes dryer. The door latch broke off after 3 years and they don't have a replacement part. Now taping the door to make it work. Will never touch any product of theirs again.

Whirlpool: The door handle on my previous fridge broke and they don't have a replacement part anymore. The fridge started leaking after 6 years. Dumped it and got a top of the line french door hitachi.

indy1811

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
Philips LCD TV. Broke down within a week. Was supposed to be replaced but they "fixed" it. Kept giving problems almost every week. One week, the volume would increase on it's own, the next week, the AV ports would stop working. It's now been almost a year and we've decided to not bother with it anymore. Going to junk it soon.

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
Mar 17, 2008
Bangalore
www.thefinsight.com
Had a bad experience with LG Refrigerator.
It was 240L model bought on Sept 2011. On this year January, it suddenly stopped cooling. Called the Reliance Digital folks (since I had extended warranty from them) and got to know some 'gas' has been leaked due to rusting in one of the pipe (which should be copper made, but it was iron in my case). Anyway, reliance guys forwarded the call to LG Service center. Post inspection from LG, I got a call saying my machine would be replaced - since it was some manufacturing defect in that batch - but it'd take minimum 4 weeks. I had no other option, but to stay without a refrigerator for almost 1.5 months. After 4/5 weeks after a lots of tracking, they finally said since they have no stock of that model nor any similar model, they are gonna pay me back the full amount i paid for it. They indeed gave me cheque of the exact amount after another 10 days.

Anyway, what I lost - a lots of food wasted in those 1.5 months. And another ~3K rupees to buy a new one since prices of the refrigerators have gone up since I last bought. I saw almost the similar LG model they are selling now for 3K more - with few minor +/-'es.

hotshot05

Skilled
Sep 11, 2008
Kolkata
hotshot05.page.tl
I wont be buying HTC product too. My HTC Explorer's back battery case had broken from top, which is wide issue on XDA too. I went to their service center, morons dint had any estimation for back cover and asked me deposit my cell. I was like :eek:, depositing cell for just a back battery cover. Contacted their Customer care via mail and got reply as their backend team will inspect and that team is in Pune and not in Mumbai. Are you serious ?

@axeman 10 years is real long one. People do not keep equipment they have purchased for that long.

You sure about that?
There is a fridge in my uncle's house which is around 19 years old. It works without a hitch.

We had a fridge which worked without any problems for 20 years. It was a wedding gift to my parents. We gave it away last year. Only during the last 2 years, there were a few problems because my mother was trying to get rid of the ice in the freezer in a very creative manner and she ended up damaging the Ammonia gas pipes. A local repair man serviced it and it ran well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
There is a fridge in my uncle's house which is around 19 years old. It works without a hitch.

We had a fridge which worked without any problems for 20 years. It was a wedding gift to my parents. We gave it away last year. Only during the last 2 years, there were a few problems because my mother was trying to get rid of the ice in the freezer in a very creative manner and she ended up damaging the Ammonia gas pipes. A local repair man serviced it and it ran well.

What makes are those fridges?

Rahul

Skilled
Jun 11, 2005
Chennai
We too had a Kelvinator fridge which ran hitch-free for nearly 20 years. After that we gave it away and someone else kept running it.

Even we have a Kelvinator, more than 20 years old, was still working fine but had to replace because it was very small. I am not sure but i think it still works. IIRC gas was refilled few times.

Even have EC tv, which is still working :eek:, never ever repaired of anything. It was bought in 82', older than me lol. till 6 months back it was still being used in one of the rooms. then we decided to retire it because i don't think it will ever go bad lol.

OinkBoink

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
We too had a Kelvinator fridge which ran hitch-free for nearly 20 years. After that we gave it away and someone else kept running it.
Same here. Had a Kelvinator fridge which ran for 10+ years. Sold it after that.[DOUBLEPOST=1370625209][/DOUBLEPOST]Love my Altec Lansing ATP3 sound system. Bought it in 2004. Still works like a charm. *fingers crossed*

Being.smart

Adept
Dec 19, 2011
Google
www.google.com
yeah Kelvinator fridge works like a tank, mine 160L model worked sexily for 18 year +++ without any flaw or repai.

Just recently bought new LG side-by-side door to get instant ice, and sent the Kelvinator to my farmhouse :)

Just wish, the LG also do its work flawlessly in coming years :):)