Car & Bike Which bike for starters ?

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Well I have no bike and haven't used much. But I need one for going to library, training institutes and all , along with some long drives maybe. Obviously daily commuting as well.

Now the issue is I am damn confused between two of them. My budget is around ~75k for the bike. Considering this my first bike I don't wanna screw up in making selection. So I have chosen two.

1. Yamaha Fazer
2. Bajaj Avenger.

Looks and performance and mileage :p All is the priority. Ohh not to mention the comfort as well. Since I will be travelling quite a distance it is must.

I am confused on both of them. I know both cater to different set of audience so its pretty difficult to judget on that basis. But still which one to choose ?

Regards

I have the avvy, absolutely no problems with it, riding comfort, road presence, performance, no complaints.

Mileage! poof! the best I'm getting is 35 and I don't rev too much or drive over 70.

Its a little tricky to get adjusted to initially, especially in traffic, and mainly because of the bike being much longer than other bikes. Taking U turns is sometimes a hassle.

But, riding it, thats pure pleasure :D The chicks dig it, because of the pillion back rest. I believe the 220 cc variant is out now.

see if its your first powered Two Wheeler get a Activa etc. They have good mileage etc too and are much better than lower level bikes etc.

Once you has got your control over some years set on an Activa you can graduate to a Bike.

just a suggestion

^^I still own an activa. I am new to gear two wheeler, I want a bike as of now. Activa is not good for long travel.

Very good at riding activa :D Have used many auto shift two wheelers from 6th onwards so thats not an issue.

Check with Honda Dazzler. Good build quality, Good Milage. I am getting around 55-60 Kmpl.
First few days it was very hard for me to find out if the engine running or not ;) no sound from the moter at all...

I am not looking any other options. That just confuse you more. Plus I didn't liked dazzler. Few guys in my society own it and I don't like the looks.

I am going to choose in between those two only. So please suggest among the two mentioned :)

Edit : Will buy the bike in the first week of 11.

I would vouch for the Fazer. Looks great, it suits your requirement of long rides (its a tourer after all) and its definitely a lot lot better to drive in cities and traffic than the Avenger. My friend's Fazer returns on average around 40-45 KMPL (65-70% City + 30-35% Open roads).

With a bit of judicious riding you can hit the 50KMPL mark.

Since it's a first bike and short distances make atleast 50% of your usage, the Avenger is a big no no.

Since roads and traffic of the city are quite civilized, I would recommend a Fazer over a sub-powered starter bike. But, like any bike, you will need to get hang of the disc brake in front as it can be dangerous when pulled in panic. The fazer has a advantage of short-wheelbase and fat rear tyre which prevents the bike to oversteer and would rather tend to understeer.

Pressing the front disc while into a curve/turn is more dangerous on Fazer than average bikes, but at the same time, pressing the rear brakes on Fazer is much safer than an average 150cc bike.

In short: Endure panic-braking, gearshifts on turns, and Fazer would be your best choice. :hap2:

+1 for Fezer. Personally i dont like bajaj. The build quality is very bad.
Bajaj Pulser with Stell silencer gets Worn-out in 2-3 yeras...

Also check out Suzuki GS150R and Apache RTR160. IMO if you buying it mostly for city rides then getting Avenger is not recommended.

Well I have to travel around ~40km to college. Add to the extra commuting I need to do for Library and some institutes minus commuting in the city.

So will Fazer fit the bill for such distance ? Or Avenger ?

Avenger is one of my fav bikes though i hate to say it will give u hell lot of reasons to complain within a year or two. To start with, comfort is the only thing u can look forward to and no it doesn extend to the pillion rider seat. In fact its got the worst pillion rider seat though the backrest is a boon. Also u ll face mechanical issues starting the end of the first year (depends on how u treat ur ride but nevertheless its just a heavy bike not a wellbuilt one). Also the braking can be a bit tedious considering the weight of the bike and the low quality zapper on the rear. That said the front ones are good enuf. i have used this bike for more than a year on extensively long rides and as much as i love it wouldn reccomend it unless u can be a a real polite rider. no comments on fazer since i haven ridden it much. I would suggest u to add a couple of more options too to ur list especially Karizma or a 2nd hand bullet (for the likes of cruzer bikes).

Back