Which Bank to choose?

I think most of these banks are the same for a salary account.. there wouldn't be any significant advantages or disadvantages...I have a HDFC account and the only problem I've had with them is the silliness of their rules - to add a new beneficiary in the 3rd party transfer, I need to authenticate a code that they send by SMS and my mobile number isn't active right now so to change that I have to personally go to a bank and sign the form in front of the HDFC guys...PITA stuff if there was any!!

@ithehappy what did BoB do to you ? :p
I couldn't manage to log-in to their internet banking service in past one year. Three times they sent me those papers with user and pass, those utterly weird alien type passwords, must be made by something in Mars and I just never could enter the site. I type what I see, and wrong password.

Yes, BOB's internet banking sucks. I have seen my bro go through terrible times with BOB.
Go with ICICI. I have a salary account there and 0 minimum balance. I have the SBI Auto Sweep savings account too with 5k min. balance.

opening from work - zero balance salary account.
icici is my preference.
kotak isn't bad if you can save cash - you get higher returns.
citi - not so sure, getting a credit card from them is better than opening a savings account ..

@red-devil : Yeah, as long as you don't have to go to the branch itself there's no difference between these banks, true. Excluding, Bank of Baroda, if I can I will bomb that bank.
When you do plan, please call me too :p
I have an education loan with these guys, and they are a pain. Unable to check the loan status, emi paid, just keep getting fraudulent notices saying I need to pay some fine and when I present them with proofs, they say oh! not required.

Adding my 2 paisa. An issue I have with my HDFC bank account is that when my account is credited with some amount, I get an insta-alert only when the amount is more than 5000 rupees. Not sure if this can be solved though.

Adding my 2 paisa. An issue I have with my HDFC bank account is that when my account is credited with some amount, I get an insta-alert only when the amount is more than 5000 rupees. Not sure if this can be solved though.
Well there's a setting in SBI which allows to set a amount, so any credit and debit above that amount will trigger SMS.

I would suggest ICICI. I wont call the bank great but it is good in terms of all the services it provides especially internet banking.
Citi is the best but it is a niche bank.

Yes for citi, it's around 2 lakhs needs to be maintained across all the related accounts - savings/fixed deposit/mutual funds..[DOUBLEPOST=1385125849][/DOUBLEPOST]yes that's what they call it as relationship value..

^^ is this relationship worth that much amount?

I am using citibank for the last 9 years and my relationship manager hasn't been able to answer/solve a single query/issue from my side. Indian guys are so clueless while their US counterparts are far more efficient. For the last 2 years, I am receiving KYC letter each month from citibank :p

Anyways, has anyone got any experience of Punjab National Bank? I want to try a nationalized bank now.

No banking relationship is worth of 2 lac rupees. However I have a Citi a/c for almost a decade now, but I am quite sure that time the balance was 25k, not 50k. Have no idea about PNB personally, but a friend of mine had it, and he was rushing to close the account because their ATMs were horrible! He is kinda dumb, so you might wanna ignore him. But still I believe if it's PSU then only one bank is worth it and it's SBI.

^^ i don't know the official definition. may be they offer a lot of stuff under this scheme but all i remember is that citibank has assigned me a person (Relationship Manager), whom i can call/email any time of the day for any assistance/question/issue pertaining to my accounts. i won't have to call customer care or type anything in their "contact us" form and wait for reply. drafts/cash (extraordinary amount) are just a phone call away, to be delievered to me at my home/office.

my relationship manager is a lady and she calls me up occasionally to provide financial advice. i guess it is interact_with_human kind of service as opposed to the usual interact_with_machine.

Back