Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green SATA HDD Review

With the whole world going green, Western Digital has offered Eco-conscious users an
alternative with the Cavier Green hard drives.

Western Digital claims that this green series of hard drives use lesser power. Also they
are supposed to run cooler. This is done, in my opinion, to remove he excess power usage due to hard drive coolers.

The Packaging:-
There is nothing different from ny other drive on the market. This comes in a silver
conductive bag with a sachet of silicon gel in it, for keeping static electricity and
moisture at bay.

65248_161742433851709_100000478611462_482692_2183358_n.jpg

Now, lets get to business. The part where it matters.
The Benchmarking Tools Used:-
ATTO
PCMark Vantage x64
HD Tune Pro
Everest Disk Benchmark.

Test System Setup
sys specs.png

Hard Disk Specifications
hdd specs771.png

ATTO Benchmark Results
atto benchmark.png

More is Better

HD Tune Benchmark Results
Read Benchmark:-
hd tune benchmark.png

The curve is sloping downward.. this is mainly due to the fact that read speed is fastest at the centre and slow at the ends.

File Benchmark:-
hd tune file benchmark.png

This benchmark is performed by writing and reading files to a disk.
The read speed is quite high at latter ends is quite good. It is normal for the write speed to lag.
Health Info:-
hd tune health.png

Everest Disk Benchmark:-

Read suite:-
everest read benchmark.png

Begin stands for areas closer to the centre,
End stands for ends closer to the ends of the disk
Middle is for anything in-between.

Linear Read
everest linear read benchmark.png

The results are astounding.
Summary and Conclusion
With an average write speed of 70 MB/s this hard disk is pretty neat.
HDD idle temp comparison845.png

Temperatures at Idle is just 36C with an ambient of 30C is really prooving the point of being a ECO and COOL drive.
Pros:-
Price is just Rs.1742 (inclusive of all taxes)
Speed is more than enough for simple storage and acceptable for some gaming.

Cons:-
NONE!

hope you enjoyed this review. and that it was helpful.

desiibond said:
some pics showing HDD's thickness etc would be goo. nice review. and congrats on purchase.
yeah! good idea!
for the time being, lemme say that its big and fills the whole drivebay pretty well.

koolmainak said:
good review mate !!!
thanks! i do proffesional. sorry i dont have a camera though. :(
Faraz said:
Nice review buddy! :)
THANKS dude!
CA50 said:
The WD 500GB blue cost just 1950/-
i tried sooo hard. but i couldn't find a blue or a black one in Kolkata!!!!
chiron said:
Isn't it the other way around?
i dont think so mate, check the everest results.
you know how the tracks are made on the disk right?
its just concentric circles divided by radii.
so for a single track to be read, a track will be read faster at the center(due to lower circumference) and slower at the edges(due to greater circumference). Note that the speed of rotation is a constant 7200RPM.

de.das.dude said:
you know how the tracks are made on the disk right?
its just concentric circles divided by radii.
so for a single track to be read, a track will be read faster at the center(due to lower circumference) and slower at the edges(due to greater circumference). Note that the speed of rotation is a constant 7200RPM.

the speed on the disk at the centre and at the edges is different (law of mechanics)

Eg. the higher speeds in gears have an overall lower circumference since they increase the speed of the wheel at the same rpm. i.e if the rpm is kept constant, the gears increased, the circumference of the gears gets reduced, the speed at the edges increases, the wheels rotate faster.

ggt said:
the speed on the disk at the centre and at the edges is different (law of mechanics)

Eg. the higher speeds in gears have an overall lower circumference since they increase the speed of the wheel at the same rpm. i.e if the rpm is kept constant, the gears increased, the circumference of the gears gets reduced, the speed at the edges increases, the wheels rotate faster.
dude, this is more depended on the angular velocity than the linear velocity.
mechanics and computers are unfortunately different.

Back