CPU/Mobo Weird voltage issue with my Intel E8400

Sourav

Adept
Guys,

Something very weird is happening with my CPU core voltage. I usually keep my CPU at 3.6Ghz, and it doesn't need any extra voltage. It has always done 3.6 Ghz at the stock voltage which is 1.200 Volts. This morning i spotted something weird. The CPU core voltage which usually stays at 1.2 Volts, as per Everest, was showing 1.3 volts :huh:.

So i installed fresh copies of CPU-Z and HWMonitor and checked with them individually. And both of them seemed to be telling the same thing. That the CPU was running at 1.3 Volts.

So i rebooted. Went into the BIOS and checked. The voltage selection was set to manual as always. FSB was set to 400, Multiplier was set to 9. Just the way I usually keep it. No changes whatsoever.

Unable to understand what was going on, I went into the PC Health section that displays all the temps and voltages in BIOS. Over there the voltage was being displayed as more than 1.2 Volts, as well. It was fluctuating between 1.24 and 1.28.

So I reset the BIOS to the default settings, thinking maybe it had something to do with it. I rebooted and went into the BIOS , and the same thing kept happening again and again. I even checked on the CPU features page to see if the EIST/Virtualization/C1E functions were disabled. They all were disabled, just like the way I keep them.

Having no clue as to why this was happening, I shut off my system for a while, and rebooted again. But it was still the same. I took some screenshots of this issue.

Any ideas why this is happening? Help please :ashamed:

Another weird thing i just noticed. Take a look at my +12V readout by Everest :O :O . I checked in BIOS as well, and it's reporting the same there as well :cry:

It's reporting a value of 0.31 Volts!!! :O WTH is happening :cry: Help please people :( :cry:

^ lol that is old software version not support your motherboard :p

make sure update the new software version latest one and download it

cause the software has debug does not working loading properly

^^ Thanks for the reply Arun :)

But it's not old software that I am using at the moment. Everest is version 5.02. BIOS is 18, the last updated BIOS released for this motherboard. I have been using this BIOS for over a year now, never faced any issues till date. :huh:

Anyone else has any thoughts about this?

Guys? Any help please? Does anyone have any ideas on this? It's becoming very scary. This morning the voltage readout has come to around 1.4 Volts :(.

relax

in your bios Voltage configuration option, there will be a setting for CPU over voltage ...so check its value.

It cannot be disabled and has Auto or min +0.0200v value.

So check this value for sure.

Bt never keep it to Auto esp if you have oced.

So even though if you kept to 1.2v it may increase as per load on CPU in case while gaming or performing resource eating jobs.

For eg: i have set this value to (+0.75) and my cpu core voltage to 1.32v, and on idle its stable to it bt when i do bit gaming or work on cs3 etc. the core shoots to 1.4v bcoz my +over volt core value is set to +0.75v.

and so this is normal.

The load increase, thus voltage rises and so the temps too.

^^Appreciate your response dude. But, there's no such setting as "CPU over voltage" in the BIOS for my motherboard. Besides, like i have said in my first post, I have never messed with the voltage settings as this CPU does 3.6 Ghz at the stock voltage.

Is it a problem with the sensors? Any clue guys?

Sourav said:
^^Appreciate your response dude. But, there's no such setting as "CPU over voltage" in the BIOS for my motherboard. Besides, like i have said in my first post, I have never messed with the voltage settings as this CPU does 3.6 Ghz at the stock voltage.

Is it a problem with the sensors? Any clue guys?

no there has to be that setting somewhere...hunt it

which mobo u using?

^ he is using abit ip-35 e (p35 board)

@ Sourav

the cpu reduce life cycle of data short spam due to long life time while the volt will automatic go up due to life sperm where i hear at overclocking form at some website i don't remember where i Google 1 year ago ;)

^^ Yes Arun, you are absolutely correct. Trouble is, I don't know for sure if the CPU is being overvolted or not. I mean, the BIOS reports the +12V rail as 0.3V :O :O. Fluctuations in the CPU core voltage is visible in the BIOS as well as windows. It may be a sensor issue, but as far as I can see, there's no sure shot way of finding out the culprit behind this issue.

This is really creeping me out slowly. I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard asap. Any suggestions for a decent, stable, vfm P45 based motherboard? Say within 5-6k? Don't want to blow too much as of now on it...

^ don't buy p45 same as p35 chipest not worth and improve just 3- 5 %:p

i recommend it is better to update p55 board with i5 45 mm :) with lga 1155 or i7 x58 :D

^^ Thanks for the suggestion Arun :) Although, I am not considering getting an entirely new setup just because sensors on the motherboard have gone crazy :p. Not flush with cash at the moment :ashamed: So, worst case scenario, a new P45 motherboard it will be.

^ i have asus 680 board in SLI where i have oc 3.3 ghz on stock vcore 1.125 :eek:hyeah:

let me trade p35 + little cash :) i will be back to india Chennai on September 26 ;)

or get gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P or UD3 or biotstar p45 or msi p45 if u budget is 5-7k

Back