Weird problem. Computer slows down when I start downloading

Nikhil

Skilled
I use utorrent and right now, I am downloading some files to M:\. I have a lot of music, also stored on M drive.

When I am playing music through foobar2000, it plays fine until I resume the downloads from utorrent. At this point, the computer slows down, mouse stops responding and there are some sort of screeches and whines from the speakers.

And if I am playing some videos, there is a lot of stuttering, etc...

I reinstalled the Creative Audio drivers and even downloaded the latest version from the net and installed those too....

But this problem doesnt go away. What could be the problem ?

I also get a sort of popup error message near the clock saying "Windows could not save file, blah blah blah".

And the torrents stop downloading after sometime with the message "I/O error" or something like that.

I am not sure about this...but i think somethin related to the HDD..that M drive of your resides on which hdd ??

it may even be due to a software/windows problem..

not sure about this..though i have faced something similar..but dot exactly remember what i did to solve this..

i think in my case it was related to the faulty power connector ...givin power to the hard disk

Check if utorrent is 'checking' the disrupted download. usually happens when i've a HUGE file in queue and utorrent is improperly shut down and when it restarts it takes its own time to check the file integrity.

TheMask said:
Check if utorrent is 'checking' the disrupted download. usually happens when i've a HUGE file in queue and utorrent is improperly shut down and when it restarts it takes its own time to check the file integrity.
It does.... but after the checking it stops the download with some sort of error message like "I/O error".

KingKrool said:
OK, people really need to tell us exactly which OS they are using for us to be able to help them.

errr.... Windows XP. Sorry :p

And I spoke to Chaos and he was of the opinion that my hard disk is dying. And I think he is right. While I was taking backup of the songs/videos on the hdd, my comp used to slow down while I was navigating through M drive.

THe higher the number of files(songs) higher wiil be the seek time as the file tables get larger...
Backup Your files and format the WHOLE hdd...And repartition,Try a different scheme of sizes..
If ur lucky, it might not be ur hdd but some partioning problem...
Any case backup wud be essential..So might as well try this..

Also Its stupid, But did u try check disk from the drive properties menu??

Jsut start partition magic from hirens boot cd, does it show any error on starting ???(click no for ANY sort of editing by partition manager)

Again, In any case you are better off backing up important data before doing ANYTHING(even check disk)...
Just hit me:- Did u scan for bad sectors??

Party Monger said:
THe higher the number of files(songs) higher wiil be the seek time as the file tables get larger...
Backup Your files and format the WHOLE hdd...And repartition,Try a different scheme of sizes..
If ur lucky, it might not be ur hdd but some partioning problem...
Any case backup wud be essential..So might as well try this..

Also Its stupid, But did u try check disk from the drive properties menu??

Jsut start partition magic from hirens boot cd, does it show any error on starting ???(click no for ANY sort of editing by partition manager)

Again, In any case you are better off backing up important data before doing ANYTHING(even check disk)...
Just hit me:- Did u scan for bad sectors??

Thanks.... will do all that when I have time :p

And how do I scan for bad sectors ? Scandisk ?

^In vista, Drive properties--Tools---Error checking---Check the bad sector box...
Similar for xp..
Seriously, If u treasure ur music as much as i do,,,BACK IT UP!!! Else :argue: and then :death: :dead:
:rofl:

Party Monger said:
^In vista, Drive properties--Tools---Error checking---Check the bad sector box...
Similar for xp..
Seriously, If u treasure ur music as much as i do,,,BACK IT UP!!! Else :argue: and then :death: :dead:
:rofl:
hehehe..... I do treasure it. That is why I did back it up. Right now, I have disconnected the hard drive that was giving me problems and the comp seems fine.

how big is your music collection? I think I have spare space on my hdd for more music :p backup i.e., :eek:hyeah:

Nikhil said:
I use utorrent and right now, I am downloading some files to M:\. I have a lot of music, also stored on M drive.

When I am playing music through foobar2000, it plays fine until I resume the downloads from utorrent. At this point, the computer slows down, mouse stops responding and there are some sort of screeches and whines from the speakers.

I reinstalled the Creative Audio drivers and even downloaded the latest version from the net and installed those too....

I also get a sort of popup error message near the clock saying "Windows could not save file, blah blah blah".

And the torrents stop downloading after sometime with the message "I/O error" or something like that.

i got the massage "error: cant open file..." or file in use...or some thing when i try to play the same that i m downloading....from inside utorrent\files tab......so better use a different folder for downloading and storeing music....after downloading has finished move it ur folder ofg choice and play and then tell us wha happened..

Nikhil said:

i got the massage "error: cant open file..." or file in use...or some thing when i try to play the same that i m downloading....from inside utorrent\files tab......so better use a different folder for downloading and storeing music....after downloading has finished move it ur folder of choice and play and then tell us what happened..

well even i got the I/O error once...what i did was as follows:

1) Copy all the files from the current torrent folder into another folder.

2) Atleast one file should say CRC Error.

3) Delete that file with CRC error.

4) Restart the torrent only losing one file! but right click on the torrent and select "advanced>set download location" and select the new folder into which u had moved the files...it shud recheck for integrity and work fine...

hopefully this helps...it did for me...:)

Edit: btw which file system..??? fat or ntfs ???

there is one more suggestion - check on the memory usage. what is the on board memory status. are your programs using a lot of the system resources? this will also result in this kind of slowdown.

Guys, it has nothing to do with utorrent.

It is downloading the SAME torrents perfectly to another hdd.

I also mentioned that the same problem occured when I was navigating through the hdd.

yes.... when I am navigating only on that one HDD, my comp slows, mouse
freezes, etc....

Right now, I am downloading to the other 250 GB HDD and it is fine.

Nikhil said:
yes.... when I am navigating only on that one HDD, my comp slows, mouse
freezes, etc....

Right now, I am downloading to the other 250 GB HDD and it is fine.

SATA port or cable problem i guess :)

had happened to me once & i just changed the cable & the problem went away

but since your motherboard is sooooooo old it could be the SATA port too

Back