Storage Solutions Weird issue with LG DVD burner

Sourav

Adept
Hi Guys,

This LG DVD burner that I have, " HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N ATA Device", as detected by Everest, has of late developed this weird problem. Whenever i want to burn a blank dvd, it shows up perfectly on the computer. Any blank dvd inserted into the drive, and its detected instantly. No issues at all. I have even burnt many GB's of data onto it, including ISO images as well. :)

Sounds ok, right? Well, here's the problem. Burning is ok. But whenever i want this drive to read some data from some non blank dvd, it simply doesn't read:mad:. I put any dvd with anything burnt on it, and this drive simply wont read the contents. I even resorted to updating the firmware, thinking it might be an issue with that. Even that has failed. It still reads all the blank dvd's, burns data onto them, but simply wont read any dvd that already has some data on it. :mad::mad:. Does not matter if its within Windows or at the BIOS level. This drive simply wont read any dvd's with content. Why is this happening? Any ideas?

I'm currently using Windows 7 beta. I've been trying to install the RC1 but haven't been able to do so due to this irritating issue. Does anyone have any idea on how to go about this thing?

Thanks a lot in advance guys :) Any help will be much appreciated. :):)

I am guessing even the DVDs you've just burnt arent detected. Have a writer just like that. My guess is the lens has gone kaput. Try some lens cleaning kit, in case its just become dirty.

Or go out and get a new drive.

^^ That's true mate. The dvd's that i have burnt are burnt fine. But this drive wont detect them as well. Something weird is going on :|. Any other suggestions people?

Looks like the lens is done for since u said it wont even read at the BIOS level while trying to boot frm the drive. How old is it btw?

^^ Just over a year old mate. You are right I guess. The lens is done for. Eh, I'll probably get a new drive soon. Any suggestions for a good one?

Back