CPU/Mobo Weird issue with A8N-E board

Daedelus

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Just yesterday I booted my pc to find that after the post boot screen I get a "Ntoskrnl.dll missing or corrupt" error.
I did a restart and realised that my Keyboard and Mouse were not getting any power. I further checked and found that upon hearing the boot beep sound the <NUM><CAPS><SCROLL>Lock light on my KB went ON and OFF and soo did the Optical laser below my mouse flickered and went OFF. After that both KB and Mouse were unresponsive and had no power. But strangely at the initial boot screen all my HDD's are detected.

After tons of checking the ram, psu wires, hdd wires and a complete reassembly of the system (besides the CPU removal) and a BIOS reset, it still gave me the same issue of KB and Mouse not powering up and the "Ntoskrnl.dll missing or corrupt" error post boot screen.

Now I remember this same thing happened 3-4 weeks back.. but then I swtiched of my pc and a couple of hrs later it worked properly.

What could be the issue ? MB/PSU is fried ?

very positive that it is a harddrive problem , try repairing if you have the original windows cd , or else format and reinstall

What Kippu is saying makes sense. Best you can do a re-install, pull off the back up from the non-formatted partition. And get a new HDD. Reinstall the OS on the fresh HDD.

Specify your problem clearly. You say the kb/mouse doesnt power and then again the .dll error.

I had same mobo 2 yrs back and faced issues with it 3 yrs after buying.

As always its asus again.:mad:

System use to turn ON but no display, have to wait for 2-3 hrs then then it use to work perfectly. Onboard lan went kaput...just use to sent packets n no receive.:S

But rest individual components worked perfectly on my friends pc.

& yes this A8NE** series is known for power issues.:(

Also my secondary intel machine was too an asus delux sli mobo setup

that too crumbled down after 3 yrs with some weird probs.:(

Finally dumped the both and upgraded to my current specs.:hap2:

Also many users have complaint regarding asus mobos that it hardly lasts more than 3yrs.

** never faced any issues with gigabyte,msi & current one biostar mobo.

The issue is that KB and Mouse both dont get power (they just flicker once at the begining of the boot beep sound) and....
Then next after the 2nd boot screen it gives the ntoskrnl.dll missing or corrupt msg. <-- This can be easily fixed. But the mouse n kb dont get power... this seems to be the pressing issue :'(

try switching to usb keyboard and mouse and see if they work. my asus a8n-e is going strong - been running since 2005 - phenomenal machine!!! till aug 2010 it was my primary pc.

i am using a USB mouse and a ps2 keyboard... but the keyboard shows the lights of <NUM><CAPS><SCROLL> on booting and then there is no response from the keyboard... even the optical laser light under the mouse blinks and then shuts off...

all this happens when the initial boot 'beep' is heard...

i think there may be some issue of power flow between the mobo connectors and the k/b & mouse... and maybe due to the power fluctuation ur windows could have gotten corrupted during previous shutdown or boot...

Its probably a HDD issue..have you tried switching hdd / sata /ide cables. Also try booting without the HDD & DVD to chk if k/b responds.

Disconnected all the hdd's/dvd-burner. Kept only basic components of Mouse,KB, monitor cables connected.
But still the mouse n kb dont get detected...its led lights just flicker at the boot beep sound. I tried different usb slots , but still the same issue. The second i connect them, their led's flicker on-off.... thats it. After that its off.

Did you try to get into the BIOS ? That way you can be sure the keyboard is not working if it does not let you get into the BIOS. And try to get a PS/2 adapter and connect the mouse and keyboard through the PS/2 ports. Had this issue a zillion times during my 5 yr stint with the board. As for the DLL issue, it definitely is a HDD or OS issue

The os issue has nothing to do with your mobo.

But try flashing the bios--obtain it via friend and flash.

Also try with another mouse/kb.

If all fails then as i mentioned earlier its the mobo issue.

**dont short anything on your mobo...you may loose even whatever is working ftw.

Try updating with latest BIOS.

Test the system using a Live OS CD, for eg., Ubuntu Live CD, etc. That will ensure whether issue is with OS or with H/W.

Checked my system with another KB and mouse.... still the same issue. My KB and mouse works properly on other systems.
Can't update the BIOS atall....cos both the KB and mouse are not functioning.
So I guess the mobo has gone kaput !
Strangely display works, hdd's get detected, rams get detected with proper memory.
Just looks like the KB n mouse dont get detected.

Just wanna make sure before I change the mobo.

Damn ! waiting for Bulldozer sure is making me go INSANE ! :'(

Prole73 said:
Did you try a Live CD ?
Dont have one.

But the bottom line is that... the KB and mouse GET NO POWER. So there is no point.
Even if I leave my PC on for 5-10 mins they still have NO POWER.
Pressing the <num><caps><scroll>locks have no effect on the 3 leds on the KB (none of them glow also). Likewise the red laser of my optical mouse is also OFF.

Once again i say your mobo has gone kaput. You can try to repair it from any local pc repair centers but even that has 90% zero success. As i said, was in your place and did everything what i could and finally gave up :Comp3:

Back