Weird Issue in Windows 8 Enterprise 9200 MSDN

jinvidia

Adept
Respectable members, i am desperately in need of some help !!!.

Have windows 7 ultimate in the first partition and the above version of windows installed in the last partition consisting of a lot of movies and video songs. Recently i installed VLC media player and when attempted to play a media file it gave out some error like its not able to open the file / the file is not existing.Even tried media player classic home cinema. It says file not found !!!..

So i moved the file to a different partition and it played them flawlessly.

I think windows 8 (atleast the Enterprise version) has some ownership restrictions which doenst allow me to play some files which are located in the o/s partition . In one particular folder i have 5 video songs and only 1 video song played when the folder was in the windows 8 partition. So when i copied these files to another partition they played well....

Seems to me weird because i dont know how that one file played well. Same with some other media files. I even tried some "take ownership" software (like rizonesoft) and that didnt help. Is there any applicaton which can perfectly release a folder from its access restrictions. Please give me a solution...

thanx in advance

IIRC, Win 8 had made some modifications to the filesystem structures, and these might not be backward compatible with Win7.

The best interoperability bet would be make one partition as FAT32.

Note that Windows arbitrarily limits FAT32 partitions to 32GB, but you can use any Linux Live CD to format partitions >32GB to FAT32.

Another more important issue is that FAT32 doesn't allow an individual file > 4GB; this is an inherent limitation of FAT32 and cannot be overcome.

My question isnt answered yet. I want to know why windows 8 refuses to play video files if they are placed in the O/s partition. The same files are playable from windows 7 but not from windows 8 unless i move them to a different partition....

Hope i am clear now....

ANy ideas

My question isnt answered yet. I want to know why windows 8 refuses to play video files if they are placed in the O/s partition. The same files are playable from windows 7 but not from windows 8 unless i move them to a different partition....

Hope i am clear now....

ANy ideas
It is one of the things I have observed with my windows 8 (Release Preview), if you install it over a partition which was created by previous versions of windows, it runs into problems with permissions for accessing files in that partition.
One thing I can suggest is to take ownership of the said folder and try it once more, if it doesn't work then you can try what is suggested by Gryph0n

It is one of the things I have observed with my windows 8 (Release Preview), if you install it over a partition which was created by previous versions of windows, it runs into problems with permissions for accessing files in that partition.
One thing I can suggest is to take ownership of the said folder and try it once more, if it doesn't work then you can try what is suggested by Gryph0n

ok now i got it. so you mean because i created the.partition through windows 7, this issue occurs. ok so if i use seagate disk manager to create a partition will it be ok ?

ok now i got it. so you mean because i created the.partition through windows 7, this issue occurs. ok so if i use seagate disk manager to create a partition will it be ok ?

tbh, I am not sure will it work or not :(
This problem is there with other partitions (created by previous OSs) when you try to access the files or delete the files in that partition, Win 8 requires to approve the deletion as administrator :annoyed:

tbh, I am not sure will it work or not :(
This problem is there with other partitions (created by previous OSs) when you try to access the files or delete the files in that partition, Win 8 requires to approve the deletion as administrator :annoyed:

but this issue is only with certain videos and not all videos. i hav 5 video songs in the same directory and one plays fine. i even checked the security settings and it is same for every file.. strange

Back