Car & Bike Wagon R - SRS Airbag + ABS - Rs 60,000 extra - Justifiable ?

Singam

Disciple
Was going through Wagon R varients, and the saw the top end version VXI BS IV was having a price tag of Rs 3,80,632 (ex-showroom, mumbai) and same one with ABS + SRS Airbag going for Rs 4,39,046. An extra of 60,000/-

Is it that costly ? And can it be fitted on the base version of the vechile as an after market.

Personally i feel i all cars should have these safety features mandatory as we can rely less and less these days on the fellow drivers.

Price taken from : Here

1. After-market - A Good Joke, you can never do ABS and Airbags properly after-market!

2. You may not be worth the difference, so you can go for the lower one. These are safety aids, and in places, are sold as default in all vehicles. It can be a life saver, you never know. (Think: Slippery Highway in the monsoon/ High speed crash)

P.S. I think you should visit a showroom as the prices seem a bit off the mark...

axeman said:
2. You may not be worth the difference, so you can go for the lower one. These are safety aids, and in places, are sold as default in all vehicles. It can be a life saver, you never know. (Think: Slippery Highway in the monsoon/ High speed crash)

That comment is really hurting. I am an automobile student and was just going through the various models as a part of learning and to know the World of automobiles, not a buyer.

Just wanted to know whether the ABS and SRS can cost this much.

And If u see my earlier post i have already mentioned my views regarding safety aids.

Well I just bought Wagon R Vxi 1.0 sans Airbag and ABS. The reasons for not going for airbag were:

- Airbags in Wagon R are frontal and would not protect the occupants during side, rear, or rollover accidents.

- Cost of repairs is higher incase the Airbags are deployed during crash (Considering everyone survived and car is not fully damaged) :p

Also I heard that Airbags usually trigger only if you have the seat-belts in position/ crash speed is above 80km/h - I may be wrong.

Though I would have loved ABS but alas it came only with Airbags which I think is not worth for a low segment car like Wagon R.

Then again it is my own view/thinking and can be different from others.

A lower segment car does not mean you dont need safety :| And the airbag trigger speed is usually 20-25 kmph, not 80. While the best safety equipment on the car is the driver himself, it is totally worth the 60k to have the extra safety options.

nothin can save roxtin.. :p

on a side note.. 60k extra is justifiable as it involves some technology and safety and it is a small price in front of ur life..

@ OP - you are thinking that 60k is more.

well,i too was planning to buy a new care for about 10 lacs & decided to go for VW Vento but recently a relative of mine has suffered major injuries in car accident.

so,i dumped the plan for Vento as it has only 2 airbags & planning to go with Jetta for better safety.

the difference between the two is like 5 lacs but i don't really care about the money if my loved ones are safe. :D

Singam said:
That comment is really hurting. I am an automobile student and was just going through the various models as a part of learning and to know the World of automobiles, not a buyer.

Just wanted to know whether the ABS and SRS can cost this much.

And If u see my earlier post i have already mentioned my views regarding safety aids.
No offence intended towards the OP at all.. but as u say, u are an automobile engineering student.. shouldn't u know more about the cost and other aspects as compared to the normal car buyer.. ;)

peace..

kauzy said:
No offence intended towards the OP at all.. but as u say, u are an automobile engineering student.. shouldn't u know more about the cost and other aspects as compared to the normal car buyer.. ;)

peace..

Well, just learning now :p , thought someone here may too be into autombiles and share his views.
kauzy said:
nothin can save roxtin.. :p

on a side note.. 60k extra is justifiable as it involves some technology and safety and it is a small price in front of ur life..

:yes:
tifosi said:
A lower segment car does not mean you dont need safety :| And the airbag trigger speed is usually 20-25 kmph, not 80. While the best safety equipment on the car is the driver himself, it is totally worth the 60k to have the extra safety options.

:goodjob:
NAV33N said:
@ OP - you are thinking that 60k is more.

well,i too was planning to buy a new care for about 10 lacs & decided to go for VW Vento but recently a relative of mine has suffered major injuries in car accident.

so,i dumped the plan for Vento as it has only 2 airbags & planning to go with Jetta for better safety.

the difference between the two is like 5 lacs but i don't really care about the money if my loved ones are safe. :D

Like i said in the first post, can rely lesser and lesser these days on the fellow drivers. So its best if u have the best safety features.
Roxtin said:
Well I just bought Wagon R Vxi 1.0 sans Airbag and ABS. The reasons for not going for airbag were:

- Airbags in Wagon R are frontal and would not protect the occupants during side, rear, or rollover accidents.

- Cost of repairs is higher incase the Airbags are deployed during crash (Considering everyone survived and car is not fully damaged) :p

Also I heard that Airbags usually trigger only if you have the seat-belts in position/ crash speed is above 80km/h - I may be wrong.

Though I would have loved ABS but alas it came only with Airbags which I think is not worth for a low segment car like Wagon R.

Then again it is my own view/thinking and can be different from others.

I wish u had spend money on the safety features, even though it is the frontal one.

Most accident cases involve frontal collision and people suffer major injuries/death due to their head getting banged on the windshield/ chest on the steering wheel.

I would like to spend the Vitamin M on the car to keep me safe, than on me after an accident. :doctor:

So i guess, one can't do the ABS and SRS as an after market !

Most of the lolw end hatchbacks and even the sedans do not have side airbags and hence expecting MSIL to put it in wagon R is like expecting a Hummer to give a mileage of 25.I am an designer in the automotive field and can tell you that these cars are made for different class of people but that doesn mean that the lives of these class of people are no less cheaper.

babhishek said:
NO

when you say automobile student , what exactly do you mean?
Studying Automobile Engineering :p

Have to depend more on outside, the syllabus of Mumbai Univ teaches nothing till your 6 th sem on autombiles :(

If I was in the market for Wagon-R (or any car) I would not even think twice before spending that Rs.60,000 extra for the safety features.

Reason: I value my life and my loved one's way too high that 60K on safety features amount to nothing in comparison.

Side Airbags would be a welcome addition though and I would not mind a lac extra for all the safety features (ABS, TCS, ESC, Full Suite of Airbags).

At the bare minimum, Government should mandate that all passenger vehicles sold in the country should have frontal airbags even on the lowest variants.

The ABS system consists of sensors in tyres, and a computer system to control the oil flow of brake oil. you cannot have aftermarket ABS system.

read this article if you have some time.

Car Bibles : The Brake Bible

as for air bags. I am not sure but you can have aftermarket stuff.

my opinion. they are definitely worth it.

RD274 said:
Who cares about side airbags .... at 4.5l I wouldn't mind have a car with frontal airbags atleast.

The person is not even wearing a seatbelt! But a fatal crash nevertheless.

IMO, the choice of Airbags depends on a few factors, like if the car is a sedan (which has a crumple zone in front, rear) and is going to be used only in the city, then Airbags can be excused if the cost is too high.

Whereas, in a car like Wagon-R, the front and side crumple zones are barely any! Moreover, because of the tall seat and near vertical windscreen, the chance of person's head injury is higher. Add to this the small tyres, low-grip stance and lack of ABS, the car shouldn't be allowed to go over 65kmph. Hence, Airbags and more importantly ABS in Wagon-R/Santro type of cars is mandatory! Specially at a minor difference of 60k. These features usually cost 1Lac in most cars.

booo said:
The ABS system consists of sensors in tyres, and a computer system to control the oil flow of brake oil. you cannot have aftermarket ABS system.
read this article if you have some time.
Car Bibles : The Brake Bible

as for air bags. I am not sure but you can have aftermarket stuff.

my opinion. they are definitely worth it.
:goodjob:
Finally answer to the question i Had asked "Can it be done as an aftermarket ??"
NO!

I would definitly go with the versions offering both the airbags and abs :Car2:

Back