VOIP providers

Hello,
First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if I am wrong, please move the post.

Ok. Now I have a T-Mobile G1 ( with Airtel prepaid ), and since I have a US trip coming up, I have been trying out all sorts of VoIP apps.

Truphone worked, but costs are a little high. Tubaloo hasn't worked for me yet.
Now there are SIP apps like SIPAgent and SIPDroid. I see that I need to signup at some SIP provider to get them working.

Can you recommend any SIP provider that is cost effective when calling from the US to India ?

Well, I am not asking about calls from India to US but the reverse. :) . In that case, with Skype, it costs

$0.106 USD/min. on Pay As You Go, or $0.0498 USD/min. average with their India 300 plan.

Compare that to SIP providers like Rynga.com who charge only $0.016 / min. to call to India.

I was asking about such providers.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

^ I used Rynga for the past 6 months. Pretty good for what they charge you. Euro0.009 to India and free to US (used free US calls a lot :)) Some caveats though - read somewhere the rate keeps changing without notice but never experienced that, the voice quality is not at par with Skype and there are occasional distortions. But definitely worth the ~60paise per min you pay them. Their PC software is really good, and support SIP - so calling from mobile is also easy.

varkey said:
How about Globe7? Their rates are also low. Has anyone tried it? How's their voice quality etc.

Its good/bad not consistent basically. Sometimes there is too much delay to make any conversation and sometimes it as clear as local call. Rate is very cheap though.

Rynga seems to be part of betamax group, smartvoip will be cheaper than Rynga :p

I use stanacard.

Their default rates are a little messed up (that gets fixed by referrals though), but they are by far the most easy to use + reliable option I've found.'

PS - Just noticed that you want a SIP provider. Stanacard is NOT a SIP provider. You could use this if you get yourself a phone for local usage within the US.

Just the topic I was going to start. I am in the same dillema and have been considering Smart voip, rates look pretty good. Can anyone confirm call quality.

Also if I call from anywhere in the world will the rates be the same ?

Back