VodafoneIN 3G !! Yuck !!

YashBhatt

Insanely Idiotic
Adept
Hi guys,
Anyone facing issues with signal drops during 3G access on vodafone ??
I had no issues with the 2G spectrum on vodafone,my signal strength would always remain 100% but i recently converted to 3G and since then i get random signal drops

I have 2 smartphones and both of them have the same issue
Motorola Defy and Galaxy Nexus both face this signal drop issue and the most strange part is,i live in an area where vodafone has the maximum coverage

Anyone facing such weird issues ??

I am too facing the sanr issues. I had mistaken it for WP7.5 problem. I had updated the phone to latest FW. But the signal drops have reduced significantly but the problem still persists in office but not at home.

I am from chennai and have been using Vodafone 3G for the last 5months and so far not faced any signal drop issues.. I get 3G speeds around 3-4 Mbps..

I am from Bangalore. I and few friends are facing kinda issues.

@ OP- What's your location?

Im located in Mumbai and this wht im gonna do,finish off my 1GB quote ASAP and switch back to 2G.....lets see if that helps
Because i actually find it weird as for my area and location has good network coverage.....

I ran opensignal and found that 3g uses a tower 2km from my location. One single tower. 2g mode has more than 10 towers in very close proximity. So looks like all the cell sites don't support 3g, only specific ones.

Of course this is related to 3G enabled towers being very less.. They should expand their coverage in due time, I guess they are hesitating because of the low number of people opting for 3G, and the fact that they already paid lots to get the spectrum in auction...

Even the 3g tower that's 2 km from my place gives me 1.5-2.5 mbps. Tried at a friend's house in kopar khairane and got 6mpbs. very happy with vodafone 3g so far.

Even the 3g tower that's 2 km from my place gives me 1.5-2.5 mbps. Tried at a friend's house in kopar khairane and got 6mpbs. very happy with vodafone 3g so far.

I wasn't talking about the 3G speeds mate
I get 5Mbps when i'm at my house but the thing thats bothering me is the mobile signal strength,it drops to 3-4bars when i'm on 3G network

Now,I just went back to 2G and i get 5 bars on my network signal
So its probably an issue with those 3G towers in my area :sleep:

I dont face any issues with their signal and I get very good speeds. The highest that I have got is 18mbps. generally it varies between 5-11mbps.

I live in Koparkhairane and everywhere I go, not just my home, all I get is 1.6Mbps down and 230kbps up max. :(

And yes, my network signal has gone down as well. But my speeds are limited even with full network coverage. What plan are you guys using? I'm on prepaid using 102 bucks for 300mb plan. Maybe Vodafone is throttling on cheaper plans?

I wasn't talking about the 3G speeds mate
I get 5Mbps when i'm at my house but the thing thats bothering me is the mobile signal strength,it drops to 3-4bars when i'm on 3G network

Now,I just went back to 2G and i get 5 bars on my network signal
So its probably an issue with those 3G towers in my area :sleep:

But that was exactly my point, when you switch to 3g it connects only to those towers which have 3g, and they may be far away, hence poor signal. and you may well have dozens of 2g towers right next to your location, with full signal. no use. if you have android, opensignalmaps can show you tower locations. that's how i figured out my 3g tower was 2+km away. hope this clears the confusion.

I live in Koparkhairane and everywhere I go, not just my home, all I get is 1.6Mbps down and 230kbps up max. :(

And yes, my network signal has gone down as well. But my speeds are limited even with full network coverage. What plan are you guys using? I'm on prepaid using 102 bucks for 300mb plan. Maybe Vodafone is throttling on cheaper plans?

My friends house is in sector 4, opposite that weird ICSE school and next to that crappy college which suddenly became big time. sorry, i'm bad with names lol.

i started my vodafone 3g experience a few weeks ago with the 102 300mb plan. finished it in a couple weeks and am now on the 1gb plan. but i got the 6mbps on the 102. i've been using the vodafone edge on roaming earlier and was very happy with that too. btw, this is an alternate sim, not my main number, thats a corporate loop one.

also, to answer your question generally, i read somewhere that most providers give lower speed, like 3mbps on the cheaper plans and higehr speed on premium plans. maybe i got a good speed on the 102 because it was my first vodafone 3g recharge. i'll test again the next time i go there.

btw, when i run speedtest, i select a server very far away so as not to get artifical results, since the mumbai server is vodafone itself and right next door. ~80ms ping

But that was exactly my point, when you switch to 3g it connects only to those towers which have 3g, and they may be far away, hence poor signal. and you may well have dozens of 2g towers right next to your location, with full signal. no use. if you have android, opensignalmaps can show you tower locations. that's how i figured out my 3g tower was 2+km away. hope this clears the confusion.
Opensignal is a nifty site for mobile internet :)

I also noticed there lots of 2G towers where i live but fewer 3G ones .Nearest one is like 2-3 kms away and worst bit is only 1 provider. The others are further away. Suppose best thing is to sign up and test it out.

I'm sceptical what the 3G experience will be in that case. Also need to be higher up in the building to get better reception. Line of sight to the tower would be a bonus.

How has 3G experience been for you to date ? worth it or better to go with a 2G plan. Far better coverage which should allow basic web browsing on the move and cheaper.

With all this wireless business i'm seeing there is the flashy marketing hype and then there is the reality.

3g is fast but still to expensive IMO. i'm not in bombay at the moment and am using a bsnl 2g plan which is 10gb for 245 bucks. pretty crap for browsing but awesome for heavy downloads. but yeah, 3g is mostly crap overall, some providers have good service in certain areas, but i don't think it's quite there yet.

I have an android phone so switching between 2g and 3g is super quick. I keep it on 2g most most of the time and switch to 3g only when required. Saves battery and no dropped calls as well.

There's a rather large difference in pricing between 2g and 3g plans, so that's what we're talking about, not just switching from gsm to wcdma on the handset.

Airtel and vodafone raised 2g plans prices in Karnataka... Now it's 600 mb for 95 INR... compared to 1gb earlier... The recharge guy said, they are trying to promote 3g...:|

^^Yup there was an article on the newspaper on this. But don't you think 600mb is more than enough for a 2G plan? I mean who would have the patience to download large files at that speed. Occasional browsing and whatsapp is just fine for a 2G plan.

Well, as they say necessity ...

At my current location in kerala, bsnl broadband is a joke. 500 bucks for a 512kbps dsl till 4gb, after that it's 256kbps. So i'm using the bsnl 2g plan i mentioned above, 245 bucks for 10gb. I use about two of these in a month, 20-22GB transfer. speeds are not too bad, about 27kB/s download on a 2g signal, and a steady 30kB/s if i connect to a 3g signal (with steady battery drain even when connected via usb). It's nowhere near as good as mtnl broadband i was using in bombay, but it's the best solution i've found so far.

Back