Vista's More Secure Than Ubuntu, OSX and XP

Vista more secure than XP, Mac OS, Linux after first 180 days:

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:36
Chicago (IL) – A report released by security blogger Jeff Jones indicates that Microsoft’s Trustworthy Computing efforts are paying off: During the first six month after release, there were less than half the number of vulnerabilities disclosed in its predecessor and substantially less security issues than in other popular operating systems.

TG Daily - Vista more secure than XP, Mac OS, Linux after first 180 days: report

Something for you guys to ponder!! I've been following and testing Vista since the first days... and I've always felt MS doing a lot of work on security... Here's the results of all the pain and trouble we had to go through!!

Dum,, Saw that but did not posted .. U know why ? :mad:

Btw Vista new feature that is security.. is that it won't allow any application to install until and unless it passes the Vista Verification Test.. Sounds cool.

Btw if a software passes the test then it will have full access to the system.. and as a results they can effect the system badly and minor fault would lead to system crash :lol:

The security in Vista comes from a good process they have within MS. Like OpenBSD, it is very intensive, but MS has the advantage of superior internal tools.

Dark Star said:
Btw if a software passes the test then it will have full access to the system.. and as a results they can effect the system badly and minor fault would lead to system crash :lol:

And What if u said sudo to some crap junk... Im sure trovalds would give u some prize??

Err yes, thats true *at this point* in time. Vista is more secure since not enough ppl have had enough time to play with it.

How about a yr from now or longer :)

..any software thats recently new is safe, but its just a temprorary thing.

or better to say, no software is safe, so take the right precautions.

Dark Star said:
Dum,, Saw that but did not posted .. U know why ? :mad:

Btw Vista new feature that is security.. is that it won't allow any application to install until and unless it passes the Vista Verification Test.. Sounds cool.
Dude, Windows > Linux :bleh:

^^Agree!

Let the flame wars begin!
bleh.gif

^disagree. Windows imo is the worst piece of trash on the face of this planet. Looks lousy, feels lousy and the only reason I used it this year was because of my college here. Now that I'm done, I'm switching to Ubuntu until I can afford a new mac.

Vista being the most secure now doesn't say much to me. At the time of it's inception, OS X too was extremely secure since it was brand new. I want to see how Vista does a few years down the line.

Imo, the only thing Windows has going for it is its popularity with the masses. That's not always the best thing though. Bush still has his finger on the button :p

akshitmohan said:
Might I ask what all factors you guys consider while rating an OS ?

• Price
  • Performance
  • Stability
  • Security
  • Upgrades Available.
  • Resources Used.
  • Application Available.
  • No gaming :p
  • Community Support.
  • Customization Available.

Ahh I am forgetting something .. Note: Linux and Mac OS security is same.. As they bopth do not allow user to Log in as Root/Administrator. thus hindering user[newbie] to do massive faults :D

@ashr ... Well said man :hap2: :D

^

*performance

*security

*stability

*hardware & software compatibility

*resources utlization.

*required updates

*software compatibility includes gaming & multimedia application support.

*price

@dark star:..may i know if your pc has ever been installed with vista ? .. :bleh:

^^ No .. I can't btw gng for update soon :p I have other computer with hefty hardware with Vista install Legit I did not use it :p.... [Sis has that :lol:] Vista sucks :p

Of course it isn't, this is just another infomerical isn't it.

One that the pointy heads can easily digest and justify budgets for.

I think its not the question of which OS has less holes. The prime driver in trojan/spyware market is user base. Windows XP got hit because most people use it and added to that MS was a sitting duck with all its IE & OS integration fest.

Even in future, the OS that will have most problems with security would be the most widely used. Hackers are still busy with getting info and controlling millions of XP boxes. Once more and more people start moving to vista, you will have the same issues.

Back