PC Peripherals Viewsonic VX2025WM Vs Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
1. Viewsonic VX2025WM
2. Dell Ultra Sharp 2007WFP

Which would be the better choice of the two considering that Dell is a good 5-6k costlier than the Viewsonic (In India). Is the extra price worth it? Also the Dell Panel is a 16ms one while the Viewsonic is 8/16 ms. Main use would be gaming and watching movies.

I have gone through reviews on widescreengamingforums, but they always find some faults with every LCD they review:( . so I need opinions from TE members using these monitors.:hap2:

I originally thought that I would get the Panel from US, but our trips have been postponed :( and hence looking forward to getting an LCD here in India.

Also, would it be wise to spend 25-30k and go for a 20" Wide Screen or should I settle for a good 19" for about say 15-16k. Budget is not a major problem as I am ready to spend upto 30k, but I believe in making good investments and so which would be wiser a 19" or a 20".

If I decide to settle for a 19", which would be the best model to go for Gaming and movies?

To be honest, paying almost double for ONE inch more is useless if you ask me....

Save up some more and go for the Dell 2407 24" widescreen..... it is around 40K.

DOnt upgrade your monitor just yet.

But if you do not want to wait, then go for the Samsung 940 BW..... 19" widescreen...around 16K

Nikhil said:
To be honest, paying almost double for ONE inch more is useless if you ask me....

higher resolutions ? afaik 19" have the same native resolution as a 17" 1280* 1024

bottle said:
higher resolutions ? afaik 19" have the same native resolution as a 17" 1280* 1024

not the widescreens right ??

Anyway point noted :)

And if he buys a 20", he wont be able to play most new games at the native resolution coz of his GPU... correct me if I am wrong. You have a similar GPU and a 20" monitor......

I had bought the viewsonic 20.1" Wide Screen model 3 months back.
for gaming and watching DVD movies it is superb.
you will not regret buying it. if budget is not an issue i would recommend it.

you might want to check this site out.

Face à Face : appareils photo numérique, imprimantes - Les Numeriques

both the dell & vs are similar. only diff being that on angles dell is a little better.

but i would suggest to go for viewsonic as its cheaper than dell. also the prob with dell is that with 2007 u need the newer version as it was mentioned in the thread i had made. older version tend to give probs. & you can buy dell only online so you cant check for the version b4 u buy. the dell has some good features but if you have no use for them i dont think spending the extra cash is worth it. i am using vx2025 & very satisfied with it. its a great lcd for games & movies.

also what nikhil is saying is completely wrong. every inch does matter. dont think of it as you are spending so much more for 1 inch. the fact is that the dell 20 & vs 20 are both better in color reproduction & many other aspects compared to the 19". when a 17 crt cost 7k a 19crt was costing around 14k. that doesnt stop people from buying a 19 cause its double the price for just 2 more inches. thats not the way u decide to buy a lcd. you can play games on the native res with a decent card. rave is playing currently on his vx with a 6600.

also as you said b4 lcd or crt is not something you purchase again & again. so may as well get a 20 unless ofcourse your budget is a little low.

whatever u decide to buy in the end. dell or vs. you will be more than happy with either 1.

stormblast said:
you might want to check this site out.

both the dell & vs are similar. only diff being that on angles dell is a little better.

but i would suggest to go for viewsonic as its cheaper than dell. also the prob with dell is that with 2007 u need the newer version as it was mentioned in the thread i had made. older version tend to give probs. & you can buy dell only online so you cant check for the version b4 u buy. the dell has some good features but if you have no use for them i dont think spending the extra cash is worth it. i am using vx2025 & very satisfied with it. its a great lcd for games & movies.

also what nikhil is saying is completely wrong. every inch does matter. dont think of it as you are spending so much more for 1 inch. the fact is that the dell 20 & vs 20 are both better in color reproduction & many other aspects compared to the 19". when a 17 crt cost 7k a 19crt was costing around 14k. that doesnt stop people from buying a 19 cause its double the price for just 2 more inches. thats not the way u decide to buy a lcd. you can play games on the native res with a decent card. rave is playing currently on his vx with a 6600.

also as you said b4 lcd or crt is not something you purchase again & again. so may as well get a 20 unless ofcourse your budget is a little low.

whatever u decide to buy in the end. dell or vs. you will be more than happy with either 1.

he had said dell ultrasharp 2007WFP not NEC multisync 20WGX :p

here is the comparision between dell ultrasharp 2007WFP & Viewsonic VX2025WM:
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=106&p1=1042&ma2=41&mo2=102&p2=1025&ph=3

:) :) Face à Face : appareils photo numérique, imprimantes - Les Numeriques

n the same site this is a comparision between the viewsonic widescreen and non widescreen. The image in the non widescreen(930b) seems to be much better(It actually seems brighter)...So why is everybody hell bent on the ws.

Also see thsi comparision between the samsung 214t and the vs..u can see the background details on the wall which u can't even see on the vs

stormblast said:
also what nikhil is saying is completely wrong. every inch does matter. dont think of it as you are spending so much more for 1 inch. the fact is that the dell 20 & vs 20 are both better in color reproduction & many other aspects compared to the 19". when a 17 crt cost 7k a 19crt was costing around 14k. that doesnt stop people from buying a 19 cause its double the price for just 2 more inches. thats not the way u decide to buy a lcd.

hmm.... I didnt see it this way..... I thought colour reproduction and response times will be same...

stormblast said:
you can play games on the native res with a decent card. rave is playing currently on his vx with a 6600.

I know you can... duh !!!

Just that playing at high resolutions wont give you the same performance. The games may look extremely good but you wont get good performance. That is what I meant

None of the other displays can match the color purity of either the NEC or the Dell.... simply because they use IPS panels. The difference in resolution between a 20.1" and 19" is substantial... 1680x1050 vs 1400x900. If you can get the newer revision of the dell, don't even think twice... just grab it. If not then get the Viewsonic.

raj_pol said:
in the same site this is a comparision between the viewsonic widescreen and non widescreen. The image in the non widescreen(930b) seems to be much better(It actually seems brighter)...So why is everybody hell bent on the ws.

my monitor (930b) pwns all :eek:hyeah: :bleh:

but sadly its no longer available :(

Chaos said:
None of the other displays can match the color purity of either the NEC or the Dell.... simply because they use IPS panels. The difference in resolution between a 20.1" and 19" is substantial... 1680x1050 vs 1400x900. If you can get the newer revision of the dell, don't even think twice... just grab it. If not then get the Viewsonic.

yeah and spending 7k extra for that here is worth it i believe :p

the spending so much extra over 1" or something like that is all crap, its the extra resolution you get and image quality that commands such premium.

Ive seen the Dell 2007WFp recently, much sharper Image than the Viewsonic but that in no way commands a 7k premium. if you do have that much cash to spare, sell the 6800gt and get a better gfx card, not that you need one rite now though coz the 6800 would do just fine...

In how much time will you be goin to the us? If its under six months get it from there, it'll be half the price and you can also get a good gpu to drive it.

the dell ultrasharp makes images more crisp & sharper as it has a coating on it called truelife just like they have on the laptops & on the nec. where as the viewsonic has a matt finish. both have their own advantages n disadv. with ultrasharp with many lights on in a room u can see the light reflection on the screen like in a crt. & in the mattfinish u cant see any reflection at all.

i chose the viewsonic over the dell cause.
1) dell requires a certain firmware / latest version for it not to have probs (2007wfp i.e)
2) i dint need the extra inputs so saved money by getting viewsonic. (if the extra inputs are needed then its dell all the way)
3) i have the window & lights right behind me so they always reflected on my crt so dint want the same thing to happen again.

p.s - i may be wrong about the dell having the truelife coating on the 2007 (but i guess ultrasharp means it has), but if it does then the light thing should be takin into consideration. i am using it on the laptop & on that it isnt a prob as u can move the laptop to suite yourself.

I am inclined towards the Dell Panel as it seems more feature rich and a monitors need not be upgraded often. I had requested for quotation from dell and the total comes to around 29,600/-. I will most probably proceed with this. How ever I still have some concerns about this purchase.

1. These 20" displays have a typical response time of 16ms. so would game play be affected in any manner?

2. The Wide screen versions have native res of 1680x 1050. So would Dell Panel be able to handle resolutions like 1024 x 768 (with black bands on either side of unused area). We have Core Duo based iMacs with Wide sceen LCD at our office. The Automation testing teams set the resolution to 1024 x 768 while running their test scripts and the LCD handles these resolutions quite well. Dell uses a similar panel and it should also be capable of this..right?

3. Would my 6800GT be able to handle this display (for games can I keep using 1024 x 768 res) till I get a DX10 Card.

4. Chaos mentioned about a newer revision of the Dell Display which fixed most of this shortcommings. How can I confirm with the Dell People that I am getting a newer revision?

lord_nemesis said:
4. Chaos mentioned about a newer revision of the Dell Display which fixed most of this shortcommings. How can I confirm with the Dell People that I am getting a newer revision?

ask the rep what revision it is.. should be an a03

lord_nemesis said:
I am inclined towards the Dell Panel as it seems more feature rich and a monitors need not be upgraded often. I had requested for quotation from dell and the total comes to around 29,600/-. I will most probably proceed with this. How ever I still have some concerns about this purchase.
1. These 20" displays have a typical response time of 16ms. so would game play be affected in any manner?
No issues whatsoever :p. Ask anyone who came to the TE gaming meet... they'll have a more unbiased view than me ;)

2. The Wide screen versions have native res of 1680x 1050. So would Dell Panel be able to handle resolutions like 1024 x 768 (with black bands on either side of unused area). We have Core Duo based iMacs with Wide sceen LCD at our office. The Automation testing teams set the resolution to 1024 x 768 while running their test scripts and the LCD handles these resolutions quite well. Dell uses a similar panel and it should also be capable of this..right?
There's an option in the menu to either have black bands on sides or stretch the 1024 display to fill the screen :)
3. Would my 6800GT be able to handle this display (for games can I keep using 1024 x 768 res) till I get a DX10 Card.
For 2D and older games, it'd have no issues. Newer games will choke.

Bottle already answered this ;). Also bargain more... say a friend of urs got it for 27k or something :p. They'll reduce if u bargain :D.

Ok, I talked to the sales representative again.

They are not ready to give any further rebate on the display, but what the sales representave told me is that since I am residing in Mohali, the 10% taxes can be exempted and only the octoroi is levied. so I have to pay 27,500/- instead of 30k the only difference being that when we pay the 10% tax, its shipped directly to the delivery address from and will take 15 days while in the case of tax exemption, It will be shipped to Bangalore first and then from there to Mohali. I am a bit confused about this works though..

I also enquired about the revision, and she told me that it will be the latest revision as they are all shipped from malaysia.

Back