Very Amateurish Networking Component Question

katuhalkat

Disciple
I have a wimax connection where I have an antennae where a wire connects to a laptop charger type thingy and a white Ethernet cable comes out. I just plug it in my computer and internet just works. No configuring the modem.
I have a WiFi only ipad. how can i get my internet connection on WiFi. I know it sounds stupid and probably very basic, but this is my first wired internet connection in eons. What would i need ? Network Interface Card, Switch, Access Point, Data Card (probably not, since that is what i have been using or things that looked like these anyways) or routers (i think these are it?) []Network Components: Networking Devices, Hardware: Netgear, Belkin, D-Link: Flipkart.com

TLDR: need box like thing that takes my Ethernet wire in one of its holes and spits out another Ethernet wire to connect to my computer. But in between gives out wi-fi signals so my wi-fi capable ipad could catch it.

The laptop charger thingy is a Power over Ethernet adapter.It provides the power required for the antenna(actually this is an access point) to work.
For you to get internet via wifi you need to buy a wireless router(any good one should cost you upwards of 1.5k from fipkart)
Connect the cable which you connect to your computer into the router and get a separate cable from the router to the pc.
Now you will have both wifi and wired internet

You need to buy a simple WiFi router. Plug the WiMax modem cable in the WAN port on the router. Plug in your computer to any of the LAN ports if the router.
Configure WiFi as per your liking. Viola, you are WiFi'ed !!

P.S.: Depending on your provider Google around for provider specific instructions on how to dial a connection from the router (settings, possibility et all) Also search around for guides on how to do this. Some ISP's are little bit finicky and picky abt this stuff, so research before buying a WiFi router.

thanks for the advice folks, it helped a lot. So I know for sure what I need is a wi fi router (without modem as bsnl wimax does not work with modem+wifi models). Anywhere I can goto for recommendations for wifi routers for Indians. Also what things should i look out for ? For eg. does it matter if wiless speed is 150 or 300 Mbps when I m using 512 kpbs connection. If the range is 10 metres will the connection work in the room directly below me ? (not sure if the wi fi range is measured, is it on the same level only or up and down distance is also included)

googled around not much by way of information but did pick a few tit bits. i guess it isn't too hard top set up (here is to hoping.

Any recommendations for a noob friendly wifi routers will also be appreciated. From here . i m guessing all these are available in Nehru Place, Delhi.

You need to buy a simple WiFi router. Plug the WiMax modem cable in the WAN port on the router. Plug in your computer to any of the LAN ports if the router.
Configure WiFi as per your liking. Viola, you are WiFi'ed !!

P.S.: Depending on your provider Google around for provider specific instructions on how to dial a connection from the router (settings, possibility et all) Also search around for guides on how to do this. Some ISP's are little bit finicky and picky abt this stuff, so research before buying a WiFi router.

If you are using an WiFi AP then you have to connect to wan port but if you have a wifi router you need to disable dhcp on the WiMAX modem and configure the router

If you are using an WiFi AP then you have to connect to wan port but if you have a wifi router you need to disable dhcp on the WiMAX modem and configure the router

What will be the simplest method ? As you can see i m a complete noob at this networking thing ? From your statement it looks like wifi Access point will be simpler ?

So I go for a access point it will also give out a Ethernet connection for a wired internet to my desktop as well as giving out wi fi signals for my wifi only ipad ? Also dunno if its relevent but my laptop thingy has 2 holes (DATA has white Ethernet wire connecting to my desktop and PoE hole that has black wire that connects to my antennae installed on my roof. It also has a electrical connection going into the electric socket)

Back