Users from India can whiten their skin on their Facebook photos

Infected

Skilled
What the hell is Facebook coming to...??? I couldn't believe when I read the heading....

Great new feature on Facebook for users from India. With a simple application, they can whiten the color of their skin in their profile pictures. In India, a whiter skin is a sign of belonging to a superior class of people.

The application is actually a marketing tool, being part of a promotion campaign of the newest skin whitening product on the Indian market. The promoter of these products, which are dedicated to men, is the popular Bollywood star, Shahid Kapur.

According to a poll created with the help of 12.000 indians, skin color is the main criteria in choosing a partner.

LINK

This is hilarious!!!!

Anyone tried out the app...LOL>..

^^ I think its a tight backhand slap to Indians which probably will be good on the whole.
Its a fact that for many Indians dark skin is not acceptable, even if it means despising the very people they grew up studying with. What more to say than this.

^^ Well we all are attracted to the opposite ain't we.

In Northern Europe (or any Gori country ) they love being Darker, they go for tanning for that reason, or to get some color...So I dont know if it really is racism....But yeah they dont have an app to become redder, or darker....

But this is funny...what is the internet/Facebook coming to...lol...

We are a race of slaves and we will remain so. Everyday, every moronic thing that we do proves the same. It is sad that even here some folks think it is funny when we all should actually be horrified at this thought.

I think we should email it to Aajtak and India news . They will do the job of taking it down and asking for a apology

It is racism no doubts and we shouldnt be taking it

We can atleast ensure that they take this line down

"In India, a whiter skin is a sign of belonging to a superior class of people."

Anyones relative an MP/MLA ?

So much so for Indians calling people from the West 'racist'. I guess you don't need to look west to find Racism. It's right here at home!

This is more hilarious than offensive. Go 2011! Instead of getting progressive we are just finding more ways to go backwards.

Oh bhai log, chill ( I myself was feeling bad though BUT)

take a look at the link least. Its not facebook its Vaseline marketing application. So its just Vaseline marketing their fairness cream on Facebook as well.

It is laughable, I agree. Funny, Also concur. But, I don't feel it's rascism. It is a very truant observation on generelised Indian mentality. Our market would be largest of fairness products. Vaseline, F&L,F&L have selling like anything in our market. Vaseline which is making a killing with sales of it's cream has just come up with a idea to advertze it's product.

Another thing, "superior class of people" remark is from "gev.com" and not from FB.

Infected said:
In India, a whiter skin is a sign of belonging to a superior class of people.
heh

Infected said:
Anyone tried out the app...LOL>..
Am sure there will be lots of use on matrimonial sites.

Metalspree said:
WTF this is racisim :mad:
Yeah, of the indian variety.

Spacescreamer said:
Its a fact that for many Indians dark skin is not acceptable, even if it means despising the very people they grew up studying with. What more to say than this.
Don't know :( When i tried to say something once i got rudely told to STFU and go back to the west.

Once you get hooked on the colour thing, plain white just looks abnormal :eek:hyeah:

I was in health & glow the other day and i asked the attendant whether they had anything to make me look more black.

They said no.

pranavreddy said:
Anyone else see the 'Kaya Skin Clinic' ad at the top of the page which says 'Let your skin talk'? ;)
Is that racist too? :)
Nope, thats just plain marketing.

Depending on the 'you know' that everybody knows

raj_pol said:
We are a race of slaves and we will remain so. Everyday, every moronic thing that we do proves the same. It is sad that even here some folks think it is funny when we all should actually be horrified at this thought.

Dear Mate,
We are not from a race of slaves, its just that we are ignorant of who we are.

This is an old controversy. The app was from Vaseline "Mens" Fairness cream, and was widely criticized. I guess the app was pulled down, but not sure what happened in the end. Even the link says "Posted on July 2010".

On another Note, Since when did Men want to become fair!! Medium Height, Dark and having Salman Khan like body is the way to go!!!!

If people are free to buy fairness creams in the market, I am not sure why there is so much fuss about an app that makes your photo fairer...

Back