CPU/Mobo URGENT : Should I get my processor/mobo repaired or should I get a new kit?

cool_dude

Disciple
Jan 19, 2007
Pune
I have a 7 year old PC. It has an AMD X2 3800+ processor and Asus M2nmx motherboard. Recently, we had a power outage. The UPS gave warning beeps, but nobody paid attention and the PC lost power. After that, it refused to start. When I short the two pins on the mobo, the fan spins for some time and then stops. The PC never boots on. I took the PC to a repair guy and he told me that he would repair the mobo and PSU and replace the processor (he has a similar one with him, of course it's not new.) The total cost that he quoted for this was 3700.

Now, the questions are :

Should I pay him this amount or get a new cpu/mobo combo?
If yes, what is a good combination within the budget of 6K?
Can someone give me contact info of a good PC repair guy in Pune?

Atombhav

Recruit
Oct 5, 2013
1.IMHO, get a new one. It is always safer.
2.For <6k, you wouldn't be getting any of Intel's latest offering(Haswell). Given that here you are literally forced to consider an upgrade, that shouldn't be a problem. Anything that you buy which costs less than 17k (10k for CPU and 6.6k for Mobo) won't be "parts-upgradeable/changeable" in the future. Sockets have changed. Changes every 2 years approximately.
3.Sorry, no idea. :)

predat0r69

Disciple
Feb 2, 2012
Get a new PC. Get Intel G2020 2.9Ghz (Rs 3914 on Flipkart) with Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard (Rs 3098 on Flipkart) For 7k this combo is really good and you get 3 years warranty.

topgear

Adept
Aug 15, 2009
Op will also have to get new ram modules so add that in 6k as well .. the total budget is going to be around ~8.5k for a new one.

cool_dude

Disciple
Jan 19, 2007
Pune
Thanks a lot guys! I took the PC to another PC repair guy and he gave me an estimate of 900 Rs. Let's see if he can repair the PC or not!