Upgrade or not?

Jasku

Skilled
Hey guys,

I am in a dilemma and need your suggestions, getting the upgrade itch, looking at the 2500k+p67+6950 2gb+ 8gb 1600. The requirement will be to game at my monitors native resolution(24'), HD movies and the usual. I am not totally abreast with the latest platforms and timelines for the new ones. I know Sandy Bridge-E just released, and it doesnt make sense for my requirement.

So, my questions:

1) I hear Ivy Bridge will launch by Q1 2012 and is about 60% faster than SB, is it worth waiting for IB?
2) GPU upgrade, when exactly will the next gen of GPUs be launched?

Thanks in advance.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Please guys, I need your suggestions / help!

Wait for ivy bridge. it will also have better inbuilt graphics
I also understand the ATI manufacturers are undergoing changes to shift to 28 nm manufacturing .somebody correct me if i am wrong.wait 6-7 months for the upgrade.

By seeing your rig in ur sig i advice u not to upgrade now rather wait for ivy bridge.
Your rig is solid enough and can handle games very good.

I'm in the same boat as Jasku. However, my PSU is VX450 and I'm not sure what amount of CPU+GPU upgrade will it be able to sustain. I have 3 HDD's + 1 DVD Burner.

What would be the estimate for the upgrade, Jasku mentioned in his first post; 2500k+p67+6950 2gb+ 8gb 1600?

I won't be needing a fancy motherboard, but just a basic one, which would have the basic requirements to run these components.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Jasku.

Ethan_Hunt said:
What would be the estimate for the upgrade, Jasku mentioned in his first post; 2500k+p67+6950 2gb+ 8gb 1600?

Allwyn getting a 2500K is a sheer waste if you do not intend to overclock the processor. And knowing you, I would most certainly not suggest the 2500K at all! :p

Get the 2400 instead and pair it with a H67 based motherboard. That would save you some dough and provides very good performance as well. JM2C.

LOL! Yep, I'm not into OC'ing at all. :p

Would the 2400k bottleneck the 6950 2GB? Which nVidia card would you recommend, as an equivalent alternative? Do bear in mind my PSU.

^Nah the 2400 shouldn't be a bottleneck to the HD6950. The nVidia equivalent should ideally be something between the GTX560 Ti and GTX570. The VX450 can ideally take all those loads but it would be stretching it a bit. How old is the power supply btw?

Why nvidia btw? Physx? CUDA?

Hd6950 2gb would be the perfect choice,it's better than gtx560ti and less costly than gtx570
Ethan_Hunt said:
LOL! Yep, I'm not into OC'ing at all. :p

Would the 2400k bottleneck the 6950 2GB? Which nVidia card would you recommend, as an equivalent alternative? Do bear in mind my PSU.

Gannu said:
^Nah the 2400 shouldn't be a bottleneck to the HD6950. The nVidia equivalent should ideally be something between the GTX560 Ti and GTX570. The VX450 can ideally take all those loads but it would be stretching it a bit. How old is the power supply btw?
PSU is about 3 years old, but handles current load very well. So what kind of damages am I looking for and please list the components.

Gannu said:
Why nvidia btw? Physx? CUDA?
Pretty much everything that Jojo mentioned. Not that I hate AMD, but I would like to switch back to nVidia again.

jojothedragon said:
ATI= Crappy drivers, un-optimized games, crappy frame rates , no native 3D?

Don't know why drivers are always dragged into the fray, haven't had any issues since 11.3, DiRT 3 / Shogun 2 / Bastion / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. just because they don't stamp their logo everywhere doesn't mean that games aren't optimized [I remeber Half Life 2 has a section thanking ATi, not nVidia in credits], have a look at this -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU11 [A 6950 1GB beats the crap out of its competitor GTX 560 Ti], no native 3D but they have EyeFinity [3D is supported since the advent of HD 6*** series but all third-party vendors.

Back