Car & Bike Upgrade old Zen

rite

Skilled
Hi

Is it possible to attach a power steering wheel to a decade old Zen?

Besides, I want to add leather seating and a JBL audio system.

What would be the pricing like for each?

It may have been done earlier but I don't know of anyone who has done so. I think you might find someone at Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home who might have done the same. You can register and ask.

They are more experienced with this kind of thing but beware, the site is one of the worst I've come across with newbies not being allowed to post without moderation, the site being so disorganized and many members having too much money but little decency along with poor quality moderators.

On the other hand, the zen can do without power steering quite well if you keep the tires at the proper pressure :D . Low tire pressure makes steering difficult is what I've observed.

My two bits - I have a zen I am upgrading right now -

- The steering is among the best I have seen in a small car (my dad has a brand new estilo and I can see the difference). Its light, responsive and easy to handle: have it checked out by a mechanic before you change.

- Sony Xplode 270 - 3900 + 850 per speaker

- Sony Xplode 470 - 5200

- Pioneer 2050 - 3900

- Pioneer 3050 - 5400

The prices at an authorized Maruti dealer are almost twice this (although its for newer models, the functionality is the same). Am not really an audiophile and would like to save up money for a new car, so am not really going the whole hog on this.

Leather seat covers I had thought of, but had it before and in this heat it really sucks - becomes sticky and unmanageable.

I've heard the Zen uses an EPS (Electric Power Steering). Those are supposedly much more expensive to retrofit compared to the usual hydraulic ones. As much as 30~40K. Another issue is that since the Zen has been phased out for sometime, there may be that automatic 'scarcity' and high prices that go along with hard-to-find parts.

ReekingArchvile said:
Dunno which Joker at Maruti came up with this idea to phase out the Old Zen..Estillo is such a retarded Car

Haha.... absolutely.

The old Zen was a hoot to drive and was the favourite of modders.

unfortunately, i guess it didnt make business sense. it was the only model being made which didnt have any parts overlap with any of the other models. the 800 and the alto shared platforms. the alto Vxi and the wagon R shared engines, the swift and the esteem share engines, and now the WR and the Estilo ( I'll never get around to calling that abomination a zen :|) share platforms...

btw papa checked and said that this zen can't have a stereo system installed. It is a 10+ yrs old model. Can that be true?

rite said:
btw papa checked and said that this zen can't have a stereo system installed. It is a 10+ yrs old model. Can that be true?

Mine is a 1999 zen - they came out with a new model zen in 2001, as far as I recall. If mine can have one, so can yours I guess

Estillo is useless. Old zen is the best.. Dont know what made them stop it.

Buddy forget fitting Power St in old zen.. it will be too costly & wont work out.

For CD system. Take a Pioneer model with USB support or AUX in.. costs around 5k+

Speakers go for JBL, costs around 3k.. Best one, U dont even need Subwoofer.

Hope it helps.

Back