Underwent LASIK: Aftermath

For Silicon Hydrogel lenses try Coopervision Biofinity, a monthly lens that we have have had amazing success with at the Optometry office where I work.

@amol that is great that you have had such wonderful success congratulation. Please be aware though that if you are seeing 20/16 then you are now probably very slightly far sighted and it may cause you to go into readers a tiny bit early but I wouldn't worry too much.. readers are a fact of life for nearly everyone at some point. I'm a bit far sighted and have always had better than 20/20 most of my life... and I am already in readers as I cannot read comfortably unless I hold things at arms length without them :'( very annoying but I guess it's just an age thing :p

Coopervison Biofinity are indeed gr8 lenses, but i doubt we get that here in india.

Both Acuvue Oasys as well as B&L Pure Vision are widely available( at least in cochin)

Silicone Hydrogels are the way to go in Contacts market

mebaali said:
Coopervison Biofinity are indeed gr8 lenses, but i doubt we get that here in india.

Both Acuvue Oasys as well as B&L Pure Vision are widely available( at least in cochin)

Silicone Hydrogels are the way to go in Contacts market

Yes they are :) it is a shame that you guys cannot get some of the other brands we get here... I assume then that Ciba lenses are out too.

killerduck said:
dude ... are you a doctor ?

Who's the doctor ?

@ Pixelpusher.

Correct. Your eyes can only focus either on a distance or up close only till you are 40ish. The lens becomes less flexible as you age :(

I guess its a tradeoff for a farsighted vision :p

I am hoping I won't have to worry about reading glasses for the next 20 years.

Amol said:
I had slight myopia and astigmatism in both eyes. -1.00/-0.75 LE and -0.75/-1.00 RE.

Lol, those were my readings at age 8, minus the astigmatism of course. By the time i was out of my teens both stabilsed at -4, dropped to -3.5 few years later.

If i need to lose the aquarium vision i just slip some contacts in :)

Sometimes i go out with no glasses at all, i can even cross roads with a slight squint. I'm used to it, i cant read at distance but otherwise i'm fine with it.

So i'm amazed with just -1 you felt compelled to go for Lasik.

Amol said:
Its scarier than painful.

That's my main reason for staying away from it. I'm in front of a screen for more hours than not. I would hate to hear that i could not continue to do so at a later date due to some operation :(

Otherwise thx for the report, would be very helpul to ppl more brave than myself. I owe you some reps, so here's how we get around this no-reps-in-general-talk-section...

...just rep when i see your post in an eligible section :eek:hyeah:

amol the surgery zyoptix is latest or what..becoz in 2007 i mailed 2 reputed hospitals in mumbai ..and one of them told we have zyoptix..but we do on latest wavefront technique something.....if possible ill share both of their mails here....

Btw its good u paid just 18k...here this ppl charge anything ard 40-45k...my frnd did it for 30k recently...

But i m worried like is some lens put inside your eye.,..if u do it cheap its of low quality like that

^Zyoptix is just a machine. Its one of the best out there, and with highly satisfactory reviews over the period of time. Zyoptix also have had a series of machines. The one I got done under was Zyoptix 100.

All machines use the same method of creating a corneal flap and reshaping the cornea with a cold excimer laser beam, i.e. LASIK - read up the name on google.They are only getting more and more precise and safer over the period of time.

Regular LASIK doesn't take into consideration the size of your pupil, it sculpts the area around it. Regular LASIK is suitable if your pupil doesn't dilate much during the night, otherwise problems of halos and glaring occurs.

Wavefront, aspheric and customized LASIK is for people who face higher dilation of the pupil during low light condition, and hence the machine programs the laser to sculpt a very specific area around the pupil. This is the way to go if you don't want to experience glaring and halos at night.

Tissue saving method is for people with low corneal thickness or with very high myopia i.e. greater than -10 diopters, since higher the diopter, the deeper the laser ablation occurs.

Since I had low myopia, I had very little corneal thickness loss ( and I already have a thicker than normal cornea). My pupils also do not dilate much in the night, so I didn't have to go for customized lasik.

i got LASIK done in December and since then its been great since then... in night driving it gets bit difficult but rest of the time no issues are faced... playing games on PC also has no strain or irritation.. so one can safely say back to normal :D

Nice, even I am looking to get it done.

The only prob is I have -3 in each eye and 1 cylindrical in each eye.

Can anyone say is it possible for me to get LASIK

@Ultimabasher, You can go for LASIK and your powers are quite normal ones for LASIK standards.

Provided your power is stable for the past 3 years, then you should consult your Ophthalmologist for an LASIK opinion.

^i have -3.5R and -.375L. Right eye has been stable for past 3 years but in left eye there has been a change of -.25 few months back( i.e i had i -3.5 earlier). Guess i'll have to wait for another 3 years to make sure its stable. I started off with -4 on both eyes 11 years ago.

Lucky you Amol :p

If someone does not want to go for LASIK - what are the other options to make sure that the number does not go up or better still - even decreases!

im 23.. my power is not stable yet.. i have very high cylinder, almost -5 on both eyes and spherical around -4 on both. i dont think the current technology is suited for me. i hope by the time my power gets stable, they have something available to treat my eyes.

@VB86, yes you are right current LASER techniques are not very good for higher cylindrical corrections.In India you won't be getting a very high cylindrical (toric) Contacts from branded companies like J&J or B&L but still you can try slightly under corrected powered lenses from these brands.

If possible visit your nearest optician and ask for a free trial of Acuvue Advance Toric(currently the best cylnidrical designed contacts) or B&L's SL 66 Toric contacts. If you are happy with the vision then go for it.

@Saiyan, from your writing i get that your powers are more or less stable(difference of 0.25 is negligible) I do think you are good candidate for LASIK(ur age and power factor).If possible visit Sankara Nethralaya and get an Ophthal's Opinion.

@Kneo, currently there are many other options available for people who don't want to put knife on their corneas. You can try Silicone Hydrogels or Daily Disposable Contacts for the highest possible comfort, clarity and safety. There are studies conducted by Singapore National Eye Center states that usage of thicker contacts(like silicone hydorgel) greatly reduces the progression of Myopia(at least the rate of change is decreasing) in people aged between 12 to 24.

All the best guys

^^ earlier i was using b&l monthly soft toric lenses when my cylinder was lower. now i use yearly prescription soft lenses from singapore.

Back