ubergeek

Skilled
i just got my xfx 8800gtxxx alfa dog edition
core clock frequency is-670mhz
shader clock frequency is-1650
memory clock is-975
the cards idling temps are-59C
while the fan is set @ 100% using rivatuner
the cards load temps are-70c if iplay for more than an hour or 2 but shoots upto 80 when i play crysis @ very high settings @1440X900
my question is can i UNDERCLOCK MY CARD that is can i reduce my core or mem,shader clock frequencies so that idling temps and load temps are both reduced if:huh: i want to reduce my clock frequencies which one shud i reduce the core ,mem ,shader clock? please help i just want to my card last longer nad i dont know how to install taftermarket coolers the card is inside a zebby peace cabby wid e6600 and 650i ultra 2hdds and the whole settin is powered by corsair vx450w smps so guys any suggestion thx in advance

dude ur temps are quiet normal , why do u want to underclock then ?

Still if u want to underclock , use Rivatuner or ATi Tool . :)

f u underclock then performance will also go down :p

why get the 8800gt then if u arent gonna use it ;)

get a 8600 :p it ll b definitely cooler :eek:hyeah:

EDIT: oh, n sell me the 8800GT, i ll try to bear those high temps :p

seriously dude..stop bein so tense n njoi..nothings gonna happen to ur card.....

else most foolproof life extension is to never play anything on it :p long life virtually guaranteed :rotfl:

ok guys i think iam bieng a bit too paranoid anyways thanks for ur replies iam just going to enjoy the card and qiut worrying abput the temps sorry gannu for bugging u

no...you're right to worry...and i think underclocking is a good option, when you're idling the card...less heat, less noise, less power consumption. You can always increase the speed when you want to game.
And if your temps are high right now, when it's pretty cool outside, expect them to be atleast 10 degrees higher in summer.
A better cooler would also be a good solution..but that might void your warranty.

iamddevil said:
no...you're right to worry...and i think underclocking is a good option, when you're idling the card...less heat, less noise, less power consumption. You can always increase the speed when you want to game.
And if your temps are high right now, when it's pretty cool outside, expect them to be atleast 10 degrees higher in summer.
A better cooler would also be a good solution..but that might void your warranty.

great..heres another genius :D

dude, u realise that when not running any 3D app, all cards are by default running on much lower speeds automatically? :p

use rivatuner to check and u ll find out :)

not trying to be rude, but thats a basic thing, no card runs @ full when not required :) there are 2 modes of operation, 2D and 3D, 2D is very very low freqs. 3D is only engaged when playing a game and then all freqs goto rated values. thats why idle temps are always lower :)

hope that helps. so the card is already running much slower when not being used :)

Back