UMI X2 | 5" 1080p | 1.2 GHz quad | 2 GB RAM | 4.2 Jelly Bean | Rs. 14,000

Was the Facebook page etc verified?

How do we know that this wasent just a well planned scam from the start?

Create a page, add some details... Create bank account in UMI's name... Pretty easy...

I hope people make noise on FB etc about this. Looks to be a well planned scam by the company because they know people would buy any chinese crap which has words like jelly bean and 1080p in it and price is under 20k without looking at the brand.

The only difference between UMI and MMX is that MMX actually sells the chinese crap while UMI just talks about it.

I don't understand why people place order for new unknown company

I was tempted but didn't placed an order .... logical you know

Because there are many people who want to have things first in their hands to show off or make a statement. They are the ones who do not wait for reviews or anything, they just want to device by hook or by crook. Also many have aspirations to buy devices like S4 and Note 2 etc but the sky high price is a turn off. But then one fine day a company comes up with an imaginary device with almost same specs of a high end for less than half the price, people just jump.
In fact some people have paid entire money (not just booking amount) possibly thinking they will get phone faster than the ones who paid booking amount.
Seems the company is like some chit fund fly by night operator.

Because there are many people who want to have things first in their hands to show off or make a statement. They are the ones who do not wait for reviews or anything, they just want to device by hook or by crook. Also many have aspirations to buy devices like S4 and Note 2 etc but the sky high price is a turn off. But then one fine day a company comes up with an imaginary device with almost same specs of a high end for less than half the price, people just jump.
In fact some people have paid entire money (not just booking amount) possibly thinking they will get phone faster than the ones who paid booking amount.
Seems the company is like some chit fund fly by night operator.
had it been a low rated company like karbonn , micromax , spice or say max , onida etc... only then we can justify our decision to place order (i would rate 1~10%) but if any XYZ comes and say i am selling phone for 20k with specs better than S4 or equivalent then how can any one justify

I think its a case of fraud like famous survey companies cases all over india .. i just hope people get there money back
UMI have listed same service center name where MMX and HTC honor warranty in lucknow ... even zopo have listed Z A mobile in there list

http://umimobile.in/Service-Center-Locations-pid-21786.html
http://www.zopomobiles.in/Zopo-Service-Centers-pid-21881.html

I say do not spend more than 6.5 k to 8.5 k on mediatek crap . If you are tempted to spend more go for Samsung Sony Nokia . At least you get spares for them two years later . My in warranty Micromax a110 was with them for 20 days for in call speaker fault . Where as my S3 was returned whole board replaced in 1 day .

To be precise, X2 does not have same specs of S4. Chipset cost can make a lot of differnce. So comparing both would be foolishness.

Also UMI is not the only co coming with 2GB ram, MTK quad core chipset and FHD screen. So it would be wrong to say that they cant deliver such product.

2nd thing is, highly overpriced samsung and apple products does not necessarily make it other cos decently priced competitive product garbage or impossibility.

Some 3rd person claiming to represent UMI in India, that too on Facebook alone with no physical presence and people transferring funds with no background verification does not make UMI fraud. Their only mistake probably i think is, not posting disclaimer of no association with any party or co, if at all that the case. If someone took money to deliver product and failed then criminal case can be registered with economics wing etc. It was stupidity of people in the first place who transferred funds with knowing just bank account details and not even a proper e-com site extra.

I dont intend to take side of UMI in any case as they kept people in dark about actual launch for lot of time. But i neither ridicule them for launching a competitive product.

Only interest in chinese mobiles is becoz of decent pricing and dual sim feature. If samsung came up with such phones people would have preferred it anytime. Rather samsung has become nokia when it used to ask ridiculous premium just for the brand name when N95, N97, E72 etc was launched. Apple lives in their own world in pricing so i wont talk about it.

Well, brands like Gionee have established a better ground.

And companies like Oppo and ZTE making an official entry spells trouble for these cheap b******

ZTE already made an announcement, it has tied up with a pune company and their phones will be available from October 2013.

But i suspect prices won't be that competitive.

@Harpy.eagle

You do know the likes of Samsung, Apple etc also charge for their brand and possibly customer service. Because people "believe" the product of a certain brand is of good quality (ignore the specs and quadcore FHD stuff) and hence the brands command the pricing and people pay.
With MMX like companies, they provide good product (on paper) at very competitive prices but then what about the quality of products and after sales service ? Do you count that as well ?
I would buy MMX without a blink if their product is of good quality and i am assured of top notch customer service if something goes bad and faster turnaround times.

Why do you think we have very less complaints (at least on forums) about samsung/apple in terms of customer service ? That's because either their products are of very good quality and they go bad less and/or their turn around time of repairs is very less so as to not warrant ranting here about them.

Remember that when you are buying a product you are also paying for the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kuch Kuch logon ka to pure 14000 hazaar ho divala ho gaya hai.

Yes, I read that but I was firm in march while pre-booking itself that I'm not going to pay any more money without the handset, was waiting for COD or ebay, but now when they started asking the remaining amount, I don't understand how can people pay their hard-earned money (as they claim, if it is hard-earned, yes I also read your post for the reasons) after seeing all these false promises :) anyhow I don't think the money is going to be refunded as they claim and UMI International has no responsibility towards it :)
The beauty is that some of them has booked 2 mobiles and paid 28000 :D

@rakrules, dont know about others, but IMO both samsung and apple charge way more than the product and their service deserve.

Grand, duos and other mid range or low end products its obvious that samsung is selling old tech at higher price by milking galaxy brand and fooling people, marketing.

Its only becoz of competition from chinese products they are lowering price again and again for grand.

Also, if u remember samsung too had feature rich junk products for cheap prices 4-5 yrs ago. They learned lesson and improved on their own too. They have technical backing to do that. And same can happen with chinese OEMs too. Many yrs back similar was the case with chinese mobiles too having tv reception and 3-4 sim support.

I think UMI and Jiayu are well known brands in china and jiayu G3 was very good mobile too. So it would be worthwhile to know (i wont buy, recommend before checking reviews, user feedback too).

I am just saying using standardized parts like processor, displays chinese cos can deliver competitive products with lower margins at cheaper rates. Lets see how they do it with qualcomm, nvidia chipsets and price it better than proven brands.

If people want to rob in the name of service support, it can happen with any brand. Even for European co like Skoda.

Problem is indian cos like MMX etc are least bothered to earn reputation too so are not concerned how people are getting service for their products. They are just traders, importing some products and selling it in india. They are least likely to have any technical background too about the products.

There is another company doing a similar thing - Zopo.
I had contacted their CC and asked them when will they deliver a phone if I order today - reply was after 25 days.
I guess this is a similar business model by many Chinese companies.

Back