Ubuntu 7.10- Cannot enable the Desktop effect

gamepagol said:
guys help me. can i run Ubuntu 7.10 on my system... i was tried 7.04 32bit previously but no network established and can't load desktop effects... my system r as Q6600, DG33BU, 8800GTS 512, 250GB SATA....

I'm sorry pal, you can't..please upgrade your PC :bleh:

of course you can...

Hello gamepagol

I suggest that you should start a new thread as this thread is specifically dealing with G965 troubles. In that way you shall get more responses specific to your system. :)

And DarkStar and Pixel,

Tell me please what should I do? Should I revert back to Beryl?

Sorry things are getting pretty confusing for me. :(

src2206 said:
Hello gamepagol

I suggest that you should start a new thread as this thread is specifically dealing with G965 troubles. In that way you shall get more responses specific to your system. :)

And DarkStar and Pixel,

Tell me please what should I do? Should I revert back to Beryl?

Sorry things are getting pretty confusing for me. :(

They are getting confusing for me to :)

Did you actually get 3D Desktop working at any point ?

It seems like the issue was with the borders and buttons as I remember

I am too using G965 and compiz fusion , what i do is run the skip check command then right click on the terminal bar and move it to workspace 3 so it doesnt disturb me :hap2:

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
They are getting confusing for me to :)

Did you actually get 3D Desktop working at any point ?

It seems like the issue was with the borders and buttons as I remember

Yup, I got it working..but Partly in two ways

1. Using the command in the Terminal Window to disable Driver Check

2. Using Fusion Icon.

But in neither of the cases the performance was satisfactory. In the second case, the windows appeared without any buttons or borders...:(

Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I can use Compiz, :clap: :hap2: :eek:hyeah: :D but I have no idea how really it happened. :huh:

So here are the chain of events that took place:

I updated my Ubuntu installation completely including all the necessary and recommended updates.

Following Ubuntu community guide used Emerald theme manager to download all the GPL'd themes.

I reinstalled Fusion Icon. (Do not get mad at me Dark Star, but this thing really worked :) )

And as I clicked on the Fusion Icon, Voila!!! it is working!

Honestly, I have no idea why and how things fell in place.

Thanks very much for your help and I hope this post will help others with same issues as mine.

See the Screen shots 1 and 2 for Compiz in action. Its really great.

=====

Now here is a little problem that I need you guys to help me with.

I can not download the non GPL'd themes yet. I am getting an error like the third screen shot. Please note that I have already run the Shell recommended in ETM to fetch non GPL'd themes.

Help me guys...please :(

I think that it is broken, you need to fetch theme package either by downloading in apt, or using synaptic. See my post earlier in this thread. :)

Back