Car & Bike Tyres for Maruti WagonR LXi (2007 model) ? [Attn: Nikhil :P]

Mohit

Skilled
I was considering getting the tyres of my WagonR (July 2007 model, LXi) changed. Please advice which would be a good set and good value for money. My car has only done around 23,000 kms till now but these tyres are so prone to getting punctured :mad:

I am thinking of going tubeless and want something tough as I have to commute around 60kms daily and on isloated roads where even getting a puncture fixed is a problem.

I was also considering getting these tires filled with Nitrogen. Saw this at a pump here and was wondering if it would be beneficial.

Please suggest/advise accordingly. Thanks :)

if you have got plenty of money then you can go for tubeless tyres,else get a pair of radial tyres.

let's leave nitrogen filled tyres to Nissan GTR's.

normal air molecules are unstable at higher speeds that's why they opted for Nitrogen.

What is the price of tubeless tyres? And what is the difference between tubes and radials? Radials come with tubes?

And you mean to say that Nitrogen is not recommended for any other tyres? I was actually wondering if it would be a wise thing to opt for as the ad I saw for it mentioned better fuel efficiency, better handling, puncture resistance and the ability to drive upto 10 kms in case of a puncture and the need to have the air pressure checked only once in 3 months.

I am not sure how much of it is right though :S

If you are using the stock tyres, the current size must be 145/70 R13. The best and ideal upsized tyre size would be 155/65 R13 and the recommended and tested are Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres.

Since you are upgrading, its better to upgrade to tubeless tyres. The difference between tubeless and tubed tyres are not much and tubeless will not burn your pockets.

You can skip nitrogen for now as there will be negligible difference in performance in a Wagon R.

You can skip nitrogen for now as there will be negligible difference in performance in a Wagon R.

There is no performance difference whatsoever.

Nitrogen is only there cause it does not expand as much as normal Air and only help[s in maybe preventing tyre bursts. Which in a tubeless tyre of good condition is not so common.

Shakensoul said:
If you are using the stock tyres, the current size must be 145/70 R13. The best and ideal upsized tyre size would be 155/65 R13 and the recommended and tested are Michelin XM1+ tubeless tyres.

Since you are upgrading, its better to upgrade to tubeless tyres. The difference between tubeless and tubed tyres are not much and tubeless will not burn your pockets.

Thanks for the suggestion. Some queries:

1. Will those upsized tyres cause any decrease in fuel efficiency? I do not want any compromise on the fuel efficiency actually.

2. What is the cost of those Michelin XM1+ tyres?

3. Isn't nitrogen okay if I am just doing it to avoid the occasional pressure checks and maintaining fuel efficiency?

I would like to mention again that I am only worried about messing my fuel efficiency if I upsize them. Also what is the price of those Michelins?

@el33t

Thanks for the link.

^^ Impact on fuel efficiency would be nil to negligible......

So, don't bother about that.

As for the price, it differs from place to place..... But Michelins should be ~ 300 rupees/tyre more than the equivalent MRFs or Bridgestones.

And I really see no point in opting for Nitrogen...... Come on.... it is a Wagon R..... not a Honda Integra Type R......!!! Lol :p

Are they not charging u for the Nitrogen?? If it is free, go for it.....!!!

Shakensoul said:

I am not able to see the 155/65 R13 listed on their website.

Michelin Energy XM1 Plus

:S
nehaladsul said:
^^ Impact on fuel efficiency would be nil to negligible......

So, don't bother about that.

As for the price, it differs from place to place..... But Michelins should be ~ 300 rupees/tyre more than the equivalent MRFs or Bridgestones.

And I really see no point in opting for Nitrogen...... Come on.... it is a Wagon R..... not a Honda Integra Type R......!!! Lol :p

Are they not charging u for the Nitrogen?? If it is free, go for it.....!!!

He is charging Rs 75 per tyre for the Nitrogen. And as mentioned before, I am just thinking of Nitrogen to have a constant air pressure in my tyres for around 2-3 months and hence maintain the fuel efficiency. Not at all for performance :)

el33t said:
75 Rs per tyre are you sure!!! ... max 100 bucks all 4 tyres i.e 25 per tyre

contact the dealers in your area

Michelin India - Find Your Authorised Michelin Dealer

I got the the upsize tyre for my Swift for Rs. 3750 per tyre @ milan subway in mumbai. I changed the tyres in June.

For your Wagon it will be less offcourse

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and here is the tyre finder :D

findTyre - www.michelin.in

I got a quote just now for the Michelin Energy XM1+ from my dealer. The R13 155/65 is for Rs.2950/- per tyre and right now they have a scheme going on for people who are buying four or more tyres. They are giving a Samsung Guru mobile free in this scheme.

This is the rate that I got in Raipur. I think I will manage better rates in Gurgaon. Lets see.

For the Nitrogen, I didn't have an idea it was that cheap. That Gurgaon dealer is looting people it seems.

^el33t

Which trye you upgraded to? I am getting my swift LXI delivered in next two weeks. Thinking of upgrading as soon as i get the delivery.

Yes call a few other dealers to get an idea of the rates. Your FE will neither increase nor decrease if you upsize to the correct tyres. Also check the year of manufacturing of the tyres before you purchase just to ensure that the dealer does not try to push old stock.

maxme said:
^el33t

Which trye you upgraded to? I am getting my swift LXI delivered in next two weeks. Thinking of upgrading as soon as i get the delivery.
Congrats and welcome to the Swift club :)

I have the Swift D.. i was actually interested in going for Yokos ES100... but then i listen to my mind and got the Michelins XM1+ energy => 185/70R14

i drove the stocks MRF tyres for 8K KMs after which i upsized. I got 1K bucks for each MRF tyre which is 3750-1000 = 2750/Michelin tire ;)

Mohit said:
This is the rate that I got in Raipur. I think I will manage better rates in Gurgaon. Lets see.

For the Nitrogen, I didn't have an idea it was that cheap. That Gurgaon dealer is looting people it seems.
Gurgaon has become the Singapore of India. Hence the prices. Everything is expensive due to increasing stylish population who dont mind spending a lot exrta for comfort. :eek:hyeah:

Shakensoul said:
Yes call a few other dealers to get an idea of the rates. Your FE will neither increase nor decrease if you upsize to the correct tyres. Also check the year of manufacturing of the tyres before you purchase just to ensure that the dealer does not try to push old stock.
Will keep this in mind.

matoind said:
Gurgaon has become the Singapore of India. Hence the prices. Everything is expensive due to increasing stylish population who dont mind spending a lot exrta for comfort. :eek:hyeah:
Exactly. People call it Singapore and Manhattan but it is one shit hole of a city with the no power and the worst traffic and roads and no public transport even for commuting within the city. This is definitely one of the most expensive cities to live in. Everything is so damn overpriced always :mad:

Hahaha.. same in Pune.. specially in the satellite towns where there are so many IT companies and people from other states.. everything is overcharged.. be it maid, daily car washing, vegetables... and same in shanghai of india..errr i mean Mumbai... its cheap :p

anyways coming back to the topic... yes atleast the nitrogen is 25/tire :eek:hyeah:

Also as shakensoul has mentioned check the 4 digit DOT code on the tire for the manufacturing date.

Another query. I was just wondering what happens when a car with Nitrogen filled in its tyres gets punctured and there is no Nitrogen pump on the road. Is it fine then to fill normal air in that tyre and continue or what?

:S

Back