PC Peripherals two power supplies suggestion

BHULLAR BOYS

Disciple
hi guys i am going to use 2 power supplies for my system ....i know how to start psu without mobo .....i am going to give 1 psu to processor /mobo and hard drive and other for gpu and dvd drive ...my question is that is this safe to do ....as 1 psu on when 1 switched on my ups (gpu,dvd drive) and 1 psu on on pressing cabby power button (procss,mobo,other) ....is this safe for gpu that it will powered up on switching upc button on whereas whole system on on pressing cabby power button ?????

tell me everything about its advantage and disadvantages ????

and anybody done this please reply his experience.....

thanks

if you at all want to use dual PSU... do not hot wire it,

there are adapters in market to use two psus.. they will help you start both psus at the same instance.

you may end up blowing gpu if either of the psu's fail.

try to avoid using dual psu.

a single higher capacity single rail psu will be a better option.

bro i am going to use switch for other psu (gpu,dvd drive) to switch on it ...is this safe that i will switch on my other psu (gpu,dvd drive) after power on my whole system ???

Not advisable IMO. Waste of expenditure and space inside your enclosure. Get a single PSU with a higher capacity and better efficiency - the costs should be comparatively lower and works far efficiently than 2 low-end power supplies.

IIRC, there was a 24pin connector cable which could let you couple both the power supplies' respective 24pin ATX connectors and would enable you to power on both the power supplies at once, when you power on the system.

Your method seems a bit flawed IMO - not sure if powering on the rest of the components before the motherboard has any problems though.

can anybody reply with the link frm where i get 24pin connector cable which could let couple both the power supplies and would power on both the power supplies at once

bro i am using two psu one is 450w with 19a on 12v rail and other is 400w with 17a on 12v rail

my system config :

amd phenom ii 945 3.0ghz

m4a78-em mobo

4gb ddr2 corsair xms2 rams

hd 3870 x2 gpu

500gb and 160gb wd caviar

sony dvd drive

4 80nm fans in cabby

my 450w psu is able to handle my this rig with 8800gt but now i am want to use hd 3870 x2 ....is this psu handle the gpu ?????

my 450w psu is able to handle my this rig with 8800gt but now i am want to use hd 3870 x2 ....is this psu handle the gpu ?????

i am going to use switch for other psu (gpu,dvd drive) to switch on it ...is this safe that i will switch on my other psu (gpu,dvd drive) after power on my whole system ???

^What is your present PSU?

I wouldn't trust that switch method. Did you try ebay or the local computer outlets for the 24pin connector cable which we were referring to before?

Okay. Since you really want to do this. You would need a cable of this sort, which will enable you to jump-start the 2nd PSU simultaneously. The appendage will go to the ATX 20+4 pin of the secondary PSU so it also starts. It will basically mimic the hot-wire method of PSU start.
dualpsuatxconnector.jpg

Here is a detailed article which explains how dual PSUs can be deployed. As a nice schematic, on the lines of what you are thinking.

Desecrator said:
I got that. I'm insisting on the make of the 450W PSU you are using!

Yes, it does take around 12-13 posts to squeeze out the OPs system configuration. Why do people not update signatures...sigh. Seems like an interrogation...!

Back