Transporting SFF pc(11.5l) via air.

mlianam

Recruit
Hello, I wanna transport my pc cabinet(sugo sg13) with the parts inside while travelling via air. Any ways how to do so? It fits in my backpack but Indigo prohibits "CPU" and "Desktop" in cabin luggage. Is it fine if I take my PSU and gpu in my cabin luggage and my mobo and case in the checked-in luggage. Any advices on packing them? Shipping them is not an option. The whole PC weighs 5 kg, taking the PSU, GPU and hard drive should make it weight around 3 kg.

Attachments

• 06e6abc8-26ea-4e74-b8c2-c581706e9699.jpg
    06e6abc8-26ea-4e74-b8c2-c581706e9699.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 66
Can you point the restrictions on the CPU and Desktop ? I would have thought that they would force one to carry desktop in the cabin only given it has a CMOS battery.

The whole PC weighs 5 kg, taking the PSU, GPU and hard drive should make it weight around 3 kg.
Are you using a hard drive in an SFF pc in this day and age?

Anyway, take out the GPU and stuff some paper inside the cabinet to prevent the wires from moving around a lot. Make sure the wires are secured using cable ties. It won't be a problem.

I'm fairly certain that these are written by people who do not distinguish between a cpu meaning a processor and calling the entire chassis with all components inside a "cpu".

I think you'll be met with blank stares if you try to carry on the chassis with the board, gpu, psu, etc, and try to point out that you have taken the processor out of the socket.

Edit: sorry I misread your post, you're planning on taking only the psu and gpu in carry on. I still don't think they'll allow it.

I'm fairly certain that these are written by people who do not distinguish between a cpu meaning a processor and calling the entire chassis with all components inside a "cpu".

I think you'll be met with blank stares if you try to carry on the chassis with the board, gpu, psu, etc, and try to point out that you have taken the processor out of the socket.

Edit: sorry I misread your post, you're planning on taking only the psu and gpu in carry on. I still don't think they'll allow it.
Does the PSU attract more eyes?

Like I said above, people you are likely to encounter as the airport, and the ones who decide if something is not ok for carry on, would likely not have any knowledge of computer components. If they don't allow desktops, why would they allow separated components?

Even if, for the sake of argument, it is technically allowed. Are you willing to spend an hour explaining the nuances of why your separated components should be allowed to someone who doesn't have the training or knowledge to understand the distinction? I would expect them to just play it safe and decline to let you travel with those on cabin baggage. No matter what the rules say, practically speaking if the guy in charge at the airport at that time says no, it's no.

That being said, you could just try your luck and have a plan b in place to put them in checked luggage.

Back