Top-10 Android Apps Thread

rajat565

Disciple
Jan 31, 2010
not in any particular order

tune in radio

world newspaper

wordmate and advance english dictionary (offline dictionary)

unblock me

skyfire

quicksettings

score mobile fc

nse mobile and stock india

real calculator

astro

barcode scannner

air control lite

awesome drop

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
madnav said:
if you like power control plus then you will love Widgetsoid. similar app.
Thanks man. Yeah, its really good. I dumped Power Control Plus :p

Thanks to aka911 for the cubed suggestion, but i dnt like the concept of a cube, instead i like the standard music player view. I wonder if something like coverflow would come to Android.

Guys, there is a problem with Android lock. After some time the screen is locked and i have to press the power button to get it back. I have tried No lock and Lock Enabler but they work randomly. Are there any better suggestions?

madnav

Skilled
Jun 15, 2008
Navi Mumbai
clown_abhi said:

Thanks to aka911 for the cubed suggestion, but i dnt like the concept of a cube, instead i like the standard music player view. I wonder if something like coverflow would come to Android.

Guys, there is a problem with Android lock. After some time the screen is locked and i have to press the power button to get it back. I have tried No lock and Lock Enabler but they work randomly. Are there any better suggestions?
widget locker.

it allows to to set different look (senseUI, iphone etc)

also has an 'easy unlock' option which will let you revive from sleep using any hardware key. press any key to bring device to lock screen from sleep :)

kooldude1411

Disciple
Aug 31, 2007
rajat565 said:
not in any particular order

tune in radio

world newspaper

wordmate and advance english dictionary (offline dictionary)

unblock me

skyfire

quicksettings

score mobile fc

nse mobile and stock india

real calculator

astro

barcode scannner

air control lite

awesome drop

Can you give me the link for "nse mobile and stock india" ? Is it free or paid ?

paraman

Adept
Oct 11, 2005
I am looking for a SMS app which displays messages in the old 'folder' format i.e. inbox, drafts, sentbox etc. I dont want the 'conversation' view. So far I have only found SMS Composer. Anyone know of any other similar app?

maddy_in65

Adept
Jul 8, 2008
Pune
I have some 720p Mp4 videos, I am not able to find good player for these. I have tried Rock player and some other players from market. They are not able to play these videos. Rockplayer can play video but it get freeze after few seconds. Default video player has very good video quality but with no sound.:(
Please suggest good Mp4 player

Siddhesh222

Disciple
Oct 8, 2009
@maddy that also depends if your phone has the capability to play them....which phone do you have? from what I've heard and used, Rockplayer seems to be the best option for most videos.

aka911

Skilled
Mar 15, 2005
New Delhi
clown_abhi said:

In "cube music player" press menu button and there is an option called "display mode", If you select "wall" or "morph", it just looks like cover flow...

madnav

Skilled
Jun 15, 2008
Navi Mumbai
raksrules said:
Please suggest some nice games for the android
gameloft games if you want to play titles from pc/ps/xbox.

will work well on blade except for LetsGolf2 HD for which i couldn't find a compatible version.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
So i think it is time to revive this thread and list down apps that people here are using. Suggest your picks and let us know its features.

My apps:

1. Appbrain - To download apps, alternate to market.

2. Applanet - download it to see it :p

3. Barcode scanner - helps a lot when i find some good app on net and can immediately download using the QR code given there.

4. Astro File manager - Name says it all. Can also open zip files which is good.

5. SMS Composer - I dont like threaded SMS view so this one gives me the familiar Inbox, sent etc view. I just love it.

6. Go Launcher EX - I find this launcher better than Launcher pro and specifically because of facility to make folders in app drawer and also have horizontal scrolling rather than vertical

7. Root explorer - To delete system apps which came along with ROM.

8. Shoot Me - To take screenshots. But for some reason the SC it takes come upside down when seen in gallery :S Any better app which does not require shaking and all. Just some button press and screenshot is taken ?

9. tTorrent - To occasionally download torrents on mobile. Free version, speed capped to 250 kBps

10. Sygic Maps and Ndrive for Navigational GPS - Have installed, yet to try

11. Google maps - Needs no introduction.

12. Daily expense manager - To list down daily ka kharcha

13. Set CPU - To modify CPU speed as per pre set conditions.

14. Tapatalk - To access forums on the go

15. Better Keyboard 8 with chiclet skin - For the familiar T9/keypad styled keyboard.

16. 3G Watch Dog - To keep track of data usage.

Widgets

1. Fancy Widget - For clock and weather

2. Extended controls - For one touch controls docking on home screen

Deathbearer

Adept
Mar 18, 2005
1)QQplayer / VitalPlayer

2)PowerAmp

3)Swiftkey

4)Go SMS

5)Ring Scheduler

6)Groupy

7)Fancy Widgets

8)Applanet

9)Bluetooth File Transfer

10)Waze

frankmehta

Adept
Nov 21, 2005
Mumbai, India
frankmehta® publishes his list of the best FREE MUST HAVE Android Applications

Hi there guys!!! I have been thinking of making a thread like this since a long time, but didn't have the inclination to do it every single time.

A little bit of a background. I have a Samsung Galaxy S. It is, for me (and it's other owners) the FINEST piece of gadgetry I have owned this year.
For the first six months, I ran the phone vanilla. Now, I have it running Darky's ROM v9.3 Final (01/03/11) which is actually a SUPER optimized version of Froyo, but without the other bullshit.

That makes it the FIRST thing that you must have, if you own a Galaxy S.
For others, worry not, go to XDA developers and you will get your daily fix of Hacks and ROMS.

Getting to the list of softwares, they are published in a random order (not in any order of preference), and are ALL installed on my phone. The reason why I mention this is, Android phones are known to become slightly laggy when a lot of stuff is running, and battery life also takes a hit if lots of apps are running the background.
I make this list because ALL THE APPS running together on my Galaxy S have very little bearing on the battery and the phone DOESN'T sap itself out of too much battery or is NEVER laggy.

So here goes
Mind you, most apps here can be installed on ALL ANDROID PHONES. So it's not a SGS (Samsung Galaxy S) specific list unless mentioned.

1. Darky's ROM (for SGS) with VOODOO lagfix (SGS again)

2. Angry Birds:
The eternal favourite, a legend, and IMMENSE timepass. available in two flavours, original and seasons. Get both. Very good graphics and amazing gameplay.

3. Talking Tom Cat Free:
Once again, very good implementation of available resources. Good, innovative software for hours of fun.

4. PubMed Mobile:
The mobile version of Pubmed. A boon for finding research articles if you are a Dentist or a Doctor.

5. Facebook for Android:
New version finally allows tagging of pictures and is quite intuitive to use. Access speeds could be a little faster.

6. Opera Mini Web Browser:
The evergreen browser if you want unparalleled speeds while browsing the internet. It compresses pages so high resolution images and flash is not displayed. It is for those situations where a page is really heavy to load in the stock Android browser. Any page opens very quickly in Opera Mini.

7. Kindle:
This is for the book lovers. Quite a good interface and lots of readability options. Easy access to the store to buy books and quick download/install of books.

8. Shazam:
Fantastic software that 'hears' a song playing around you and goes to it's database and gets you the name and other details of the song. Very handy. Has an option to view that music video on youtube or else buy the song directly from Amazon. Used to be free, but now 5 tages allowed per month. Luckily, I managed to get the unlimited version because I downloaded a day before it became paid.

9. Speedtest.net:
The best way to check ISP speeds: EDGE, 3G or WiFi.

10. Task Manager:
NOW, this is one the BEST softwares in Android. It has the option of leaving a widget on the home page and clicking on this widget frees up lots of RAM by closing useless applications. Make sure you get the one from RYTHM SOFTWARE.

11. m-Indicator (mumbai):
For the people of Mumbai to get immediate access to train timetables, taxi, rickshaw fares and railway PNR information. The works. Quite useful when you gotta catch a train and don't know when to plan to leave for the station.

12. ByteTornado Downloader:
THis is like your usual download accelerator. It actually works. Besides, the Android browser does not allow you to download files that DONT open in the phone. Bytetornado allows it. Just paste the link, and it downloads the files.

13. Ringdroid:
The ultimate in ringtone creation. You can cut mp3 files and create ringtones for your phone. Very easy to use and fast in processing.

14. AdFree Android:
FABULOUS app. Removes all the in-app ads Google is infamous for. Works 90% of the time in removing them, hence saving screen space and bandwidth.

15. Compass:
Make use of the inbuilt magnetometer in your phone, or allow compass to get co-ordinates from GPS. This is a slick software. Very good interface. Lots of customizability.

16. Zedge:
Fun app to get MILLIONS of free photos and ringtones. You can preview tones before downloading them.

17. PicSay:
Photo editor. Android lacks one. This does the job.

18. Unit Converter: Convertpad:
Does exactly that. Converts a LOT of stuff. Even currency. Downloads the latest Forex rates every time.

19. TubeMate Youtube Downloader:
Download Youtube videos directly to your phone. UNIQUE FEATURE: Ever wanted to get ONLY the audio part of the video??? This one allows you to download the audio stream of the youtube video at the highest quality that it has been uploaded in. Very handy when you want a song and can't find it.

20. NDTV:
Slick application to keep abreast of news. Surprising to have ONLY one Indian channel actively supporting Android.

21. ESPN Cricinfo:
Lovely application for the world cup. Scores on the fly with PUSH notifications about wickets, drinks breaks and other stuff. Very nice!! Just force closes sometimes on the SGS

22. Ultra Voice Changer:
REcord your voice and play it back in the FUNNIEST and SCARIEST manner possible. Save it, upload, mms, email, facebook it.

23. Space Physics Lite:
Very clever application. Like iPhysics, but more innovative.

24. Annoying Sounds:
The one-stop solution to all SUPER irritating sounds invented by Man.

25. Fruit Ninja:
Fun game. Good graphics. LOUD sound effects.

26. TRAP:
Nice game. Basic graphics, but can keep you occupied for hours.

27. Thinkfree Office:
Loads ALL office formats. Even PDF. VERY useful. You can also edit office files and save them.

28. Aldiko E Book reader:
Lovely interface, good reading options. Better than Kindly IMHO (only in terms of UI, Kindle store kicks it's arse in terms of content)
Honourable Mentions:
Paper Toss, NFS Lite, SGS Info (for SGS only), SGS tools (for SGS only), Google Maps,Youtube application,

WILL ADD MORE AS I COME ACROSS THEM. As of now, these make my phone a FUN thing to have and can keep you occupied and be SUPER useful and resourceful at any given point of time.

PS: I love ANDROID.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
I was expecting this thread merge :)

Btw updated list (only additions) from my side.. (free and paid both)

1. (EvenBetter)NumberPad Keyboard

Ditched Swiftkey Keyboard for this.

2. GPS Status - To geta faster GPS fix because of this.

3. Drop Box - Awesome way of files storage and sync

4. Alarmdroid - For morning alarms. Using this since it has functionality to just flip the phone to snooze the alarm.

5. Camera Fun Pro - Timepass app having a plethora of lens

6. Documents to Go - view and edit MS Office docs. Never used, kept it just incase it comes handy sometimes.

7. Business Calendar Beta - Has a cool widget that shows my forthcoming tasks / reminders on homescreen. Syncs with google calendar

8. Screen filter - To lower brightness of screen, put a sort of layer over the screen to make phone usable in night time under no light.

9. NFS Shift - Timepass game

10. Multicon - To place 4 apps shortcut (instead of single) in a 1x1 widget on homescreen. Currently i have 16 app shortcuts on my home screen in a 1 row x 4 column widget (where initially only 4 shortcuts were possible)

ranjan2001

Adept
Apr 27, 2007
New Delhi
just bought samsung l9003 slcd phone & need a sms/call block apps which is the best,

i find so many apps with mixd review so dont know which one to try.

I specifically need to block spam marketing sms which don't show any numbers

should have the following ability.

allow sms from ONLY contact list (will the bank be able to send sms?)

block all sms from unknown number

allow sms from my whitelist only

any more ability of the apps is welcome

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^ Suggest you not to have an app using which you can receive SMS only from white list as this means potentially no other message however important it may be wont reach you. And yes even bank SMSes may not reach which is something you dont wont.