OC & Modding Things not to do (if you think you are an overclocker)!

Harshal

Skilled
Firstly, I know you guys want to know why am I writing this?
I usually steer away from public platforms especially when it comes to guides or knowledge articles. I am just plain lazy to join in and contribute, sorry!
But I think this is needed now especially when some of you (young Indian overclockers) are ready to take that next step and think it's all easy.
Now don't get me wrong- it is easy if you do it the right way.
I may not be an authority on this topic but then again I speak with personal record of '0' (ZERO) dead boards when I am overclocking with DICE or LN2.
As I did mention on my not so happening FB note, having fun is the main motive and not just blindly chasing after some record. So here are some things you need to know and not do OR be prepared to be at best scratching your head looking at a dead/fried motherboard or processor.
1. This is the most common one- to think that like them (top overclockers), you will be ok and nothing will go wrong.
Well, WRONG!!
Especially if you have a history of not being patient/careful enough to a job that always requires a very sincere effort from your side. Please do not get too comfortable for your own sake. Always prepare for every session with all the required precautions.

2. Not reading enough and not learning the basics of insulating techniques used by other more famous overclockers than you.
Just aping them blindly without full knowledge of the right techniques/procedures will ensure you may have a dead board very soon. There may be few/many guides/articles on overclocking, insulation techniques, etc. But there is no substitute to putting in the effort to go through the myriads of threads/posts related to individual overclocking endeavors where finer things may be discussed. Their success/failure has so much more to teach than we would like to discover on our own.
About insulating- Vaseline (applied properly and not just dabbed on), artists eraser / moldable eraser and, in addition to either of those, lots of paper napkins are your best friends when doing sub-zero overclocking.
e.g. An unaware user might kill a super high-end board, mostly due to negligence, carelessness and/or incompetence- something that only he will know. Whatever the circumstances OR the urgency to get a run done, this is not what is expected of an “overclocker”, for which there can be no excuses and it is only the “overclocker”, who is to be blamed for his gross negligence.

3. Running unnecessarily high Voltages- the ultimate solution to all your OCing limits
You may like overvolting as a quick fix but that is so not true.
At times, it does fix things for us. But from what I have observed, it ruins things quicker than fixing it even when you are sub-zero. I usually prefer to go step by step, starting with low volts depending on processor (quad/hexa core OR dual-core). But that's just me…
Honestly I have seen enough of high volts and even crazier speeds as I have been lucky to bench with my good friends from the far east region. But what is important for you to know is that those sessions never resulted in any dead processor(s) or dead RAM(s) or dead board(s).
Again this is something you learn as you go on testing processor(s). But still, like the point above you have to keep an eye out for what’s safe voltage for a particular chip and what speeds are considered "good" with what voltages.
A very funny example to this may be -
Someone using 1.8X volts to clock a certain speed under DICE/LN2.
I was overclocking a month and half later and still managed to OC higher with fairly lesser volts (1.62v) using same spec processor (with -102* C CB) and a GIGABYTE H55-UD3H board ;)
Hope you get what I mean here. Running high volts to impress others and achieving average or below average clocks will easily get you to be noticed by the critic in me. So beware :p
4. Not cleaning up/drying the hardware after the sub-zero session
Any frost/ice formed during the sub zero session needs to be removed carefully. In addition to the excessive insulation (wet tissues/paper napkins, moldable eraser around CPU socket area). The board, especially PWM area and CPU socket area, needs to be dried well even if you may have coated it with a plastic spray. This is to ensure no moisture is left behind and you are safe for you next session provided if you've not killed the board yet! :p
5, Not being realistic about goals to be achieved and personal achievements
Lets face it, everyone likes to be famous instantaneously. So do not do overclocking for the wrong reasons (just to get famous) but do it to keep educating yourself and others but to also keep pushing personal boundaries. A time will come when you wont have to shout from rooftops to proclaim your achievements, if you are really good. One more thing, just being able to boot up at certain frequency OR being able to hit certain frequency in windows is of no value unless it is stable enough to complete one of the already established benchmarks. Hitting high clocks is good but doesn't equate to having benched at that speed.
So my young pupils, please take note!!
6. Making up reasons/excuses for not competing
Personally I think, you should be ready to grab every opportunity to compete that comes your way. Do not be dissuaded by the thought that others may have better hardware and hence better results OR
the fear of being ridiculed for not being among the top performers. Every competition that you come across is a great opportunity to improve yourself. So you should participate wholeheartedly without worrying about the outcome. The prizes awarded at competition should only be your secondary motivation; your primary motivation should always be being better and more competitive than you are presently.
Example - recently conducted GOOC 2010 India Qualifiers. Many probable participants stayed away thinking/assuming the few who competed with LN2 cooling will comfortably win. While some others stayed away for the fear of being ridiculed OR for the fear of losing face in front of others due to non-performance. There is no bigger loser than the one who wants to be an competitive/professional overclocker but even fails to compete when the opportunity presents itself.
I am repeating myself again. But....
RESPECT can not be DEMANDED with one or two good overclocks. It can only be Earned/Gained by being truthful about ones own capabilities and RESPECTING every fellow overclocker around you - junior or senior!
Thank you for reading! :cool2:

International "Overclocker" who didnt have to compete locally and always finished last in all competitions, :p, ofcourse its the participation which matters. (this is not for you Darky, sorry)

I am sure that International overclocker had a lot of issues to overcome just like the local "overclocker" has a lot of difficulties to overcome for each session.

thebanik said:
International "Overclocker" who didnt have to compete locally and always finished last in all competitions, :p, ofcourse its the participation which matters. (this is not for you Darky, sorry)

I am sure that International overclocker had a lot of issues to overcome just like the local "overclocker" has a lot of difficulties to overcome for each session.
You need to upgrade your sources. "Team India" was never an individual and it was never last at any of the PAN Asian or Global competitions. People who have never participated in an International "time bound" live competition, are not expected to know the challenges faced, which cannot be replicated in the cozy confines of ones home with lots of time and other resources at their disposal!

Speaking of issues and difficulties, the "International overclocker" never complained of humidity like some-other who blame their non-performance to humidity/condensation/weather, etc., despite being in an Air-Conditioned (unless he/she is using a desert cooler and calls its an Air-Conditioner) room in DELHI. Now anyone who has passed school, maybe even with great difficulty, will know his geography/weather at least across four metros. Also the International Overclocker was privileged enough (and maybe talented enough too) to be extended an invitation to participate, as was the norm/format then. It seems that you may go on to blame the International Overclocker for being privileged enough and not having to go around begging for the hardware (to bench/overclock).

Posted only to clear misconceptions, nothing personal. Please don't mind! ;)

I am happy to use my pc as it is. Neither can i risk killing my hardware, even by chnace nor that i know how to overclock anyways. But nice info for those who want to try. :)

thebanik said:

These comments are totally uncalled for.

If you have anything to add worthwhile to the thread, please do so but refrain from posting such comments. I think Harshal has been clear with his response?

And Banik, always remember your humble beginnings.

If you were determined enough to prove your wits against the so called 'international overclocker', you should have done it with the score submissions for the GOOC 2010 prelims in TE. Your lame reason that there was a power cut in the 11th hour proves the rest.

Well written. Though i myself will never have the courage to go DICE/LN2 or go extreme, it's nice to see many Indian's rising up to the Overclocking scene, and i am sure these tips will help :)

Desecrator said:
These comments are totally uncalled for.

If you have anything to add worthwhile to the thread, please do so but refrain from posting such comments. I think Harshal has been clear with his response?

And Banik, always remember your humble beginnings.

If you were determined enough to prove your wits against the so called 'international overclocker', you should have done it with the score submissions for the GOOC 2010 prelims in TE. Your lame reason that there was a power cut in the 11th hour proves the rest.
If I wanted to prove anything I would have used LN2 and left it at that. And since you do not know where the remarks of Harshal are coming from and who it is targeted to, I would like you to refrain from meddling as well.

Anyways attending a marriage hence no time to comment further.

@Harshal, so what was your rank out of how many competitors?, bah leave it....

thebanik said:
If I wanted to prove anything I would have used LN2 and left it at that.
thebanik said:
Anyways attending a marriage hence no time to comment further.
:bshit:
But you didn't, and that's the point. Excuses for everything... see what I am getting at people, do take note.... this is exactly what I mentioned in my "Things not to do!".

thebanik said:
@Harshal, so what was your rank out of how many competitors?, bah leave it....
Finally you growing some balls to ask me upfront...
Anyways, "Team India" as I said before, was never last, be it 8 countries or 26 countries participating. ;)
You seem to be of opinion that you are the best... well you missed your point to prove!!
BTW, :huh: what was yours?? Bah leave it, you have not even competed in a real live competition ever...

Harshal said:
But you didn't, and that's the point. Excuses for everything... see what I am getting at people, do take note.... this is exactly what I mentioned in my "Things not to do!".
Did I ever say I am the best??? But your post in the OP clearly tries to imply that I am incompetent and you are the best. Btw whats your reason for being 2nd/behind to the LOCAL OVERCLOCKER for almost 1 1/2 years now?? Wanna throw some excuses??

Harshal said:
Anyways, "Team India" as I said before, was never last, be it 8 countries or 26 countries participating. ;)

You seem to be of opinion that you are the best... well you missed your point to prove!!

BTW, :huh: what was yours?? Bah leave it, you have not even competed in a real live competition ever...

Yeah as they say participation is more important. So thumbs up to you for participating and what come 2nd last or in the bottom most percentile of participants in the tourney for 3? tournies straight which ofcourse didnt involve any local selection

BTW just for your information, I was the winner of MSI MOA 2009 from Indian Subcontinent (which includes 7 countries)

Btw nothing personal, and if its personal, you started it. You know I respected you, you could have called me, mailed me and said anything, infact even say it upfront about the references but you chose the indirect way. Pretty sad!!

Harshal said:
Finally you growing some balls to ask me upfront...

Now that you have started it, grow some balls yourself and compete in the MOA 2010?? Or you will throw some excuses around for not competing?

I am new to TE but can clearly see this topic going heywire. That too between Mature guys. Guys, Kindly solved it using PM/calls but not here. It does not suits you, as from what I have observed both of you are respectable OCers in TE, and this brawl type discussion does not suits to that reputation.So please chill and avoid.

Just a request,
Aditya

thebanik said:
BTW just for your information, I was the winner of MSI MOA 2009 from Indian Subcontinent (which includes 7 countries)

Rave claims. There was never any MOA 2009 Indian qualifiers in the first place. There's a big difference between going (MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009) Asian Qualifiers event and participating and "winning" the MOA Indian/Indian subcontinent qualifiers. *Maybe* you "waltz" yourself in the Asian qualifiers but that's not considered as winning.

For once, be an "international overclocker" and not as a billboard for people/companies who "graciously" give the stuff. FYI, the pics that you posted on digit forums? Where you claimed its an "EVGA classified" board. Well look again- those pics? That's a UD9!!!

i7 980X + Gigabyte X58A-UD9 + MSI GTX 480 under LN2 - Digit's Technology Discussion Forum

Heck that is not even you hand. Shatter maybe?

Good lord!! You fried a UD9 >_>".

Say what you want, but for an ln2 overclocker boy you sure do whine a lot. You definitely need to have some cheesecake.

Now that you have started it, grow some balls yourself and compete in the MOA 2010??

Oh so you are "trying" to provoke people to join events? What is that MOA competition, ln2 overclocking event version of WWE OR something :bleh:. Come on man, for once have some class for your sanity and others.

Oh yeah btw, you used Intel Core i7 980X to grab the #1 spot? You grabbed a #1 spot from harshal who was with an abused AMD 965BE media sample? Yeah- cool story, bro :hap2:.

Excellent write up. Thank You.

I have read various guides and they mention that, increase clocks in steps(say by 5mhz), after system crashes/does not boot lower clocks by 10mhz. But, I don't know why it is to be increased in step by step.

What happens if we increase clock by 50mhz?

What if we increase clock by 50mhz(assuming we take care of Vcore) and once system is unstable, reduce clock by 100mhz and then increase clocks by 5mhz? What difference could it make?

pardon my noobness.

Amazing write up as usual Harshal Sir !!

I cant tell you how thankful i am for giving me your time , knowledge and patience :)

it goes without saying that none of this would have been possible for me if you weren't around.. and for that i can never repay you ! :)

All i can say is follow this guide properly folks.. will go a very long way in getting you those records !!

cheers and thank you for the article Harshal sir , and for all the help :)

kind regards :)

toolius said:
Amazing write up as usual Harshal Sir !!
I cant tell you how thankful i am for giving me your time , knowledge and patience :)
it goes without saying that none of this would have been possible for me if you weren't around.. and for that i can never repay you ! :)
All i can say is follow this guide properly folks.. will go a very long way in getting you those records !!
cheers and thank you for the article Harshal sir , and for all the help :)
kind regards :)
You are far too kind, Toolius! :)

P.S. Like I have always maintained with "Dada" Tag, I request you to drop the "Sir" tag!

Nice right up. Thanks to the OP. OC, is always a learning experience, every time the BIOS is pulled up...!

Back