The Windows Phone 7 thread

oops, really? OK :) the API must have been added in WP 7.5, i thought it would come in 7.8...

- - - Updated - - -

And I need to check out skype then! Sadly WP7 devices don't have front facing cams, none of them do, right?

Many WP7 phones have front facing camera.

Why is the thread title still showing the version? Are you mods and/or admins too arrogant and/or lazy to fix? Or some other pertinent reason? :D

Have there been any WP8 phones announced in the 10-15k range? Need to buy a phone - don't know if I should wait or get a Lumia 710.

City lens is actually working pretty well on my 710 :), that with the offline navigation and entire country map downloading makes my 710 an awesome non network dependent navigation device. I just wish it had a better GPS. A 10-15k WP8 lumia with a good GPS (GLONASS) and battery would be a killer device. I would assume 920= ultra top end, 820 = high end and 720 and 620 when announced mid-low end devices in the nokia lineup.

I am on Lumia 710 right now. Will WP 7.8 be using Zune to transfer media? I hope there is no more Zune to transfer media and transfer media in Mass Storage mode.
BTW, when is WP 7.8 expected for Lumia 710 and 800?
#sarang

^The focus has a lovely screen. Lumia has awesome navigation apps (from nokia, although as per my understanding these apps can be jacked into the focus if you are that enthusiastic), and the clearblack display, while not as crisp as the SAMOLED, is very easy to read even in direct sunlight.

I'm just worried about how long the hardware will be of any use to me since it was released in late 2010, while the Lumia in late 2011. Don't want to have an outdated and slow phone after a year and a half.

^Define outdated. Are your mobile phone needs honestly going to change so drastically over the next three years? The wp7.5 is smooth and fast on the lumia/focus and will continue to be so (considering that only one major update is left). The update will bring bluetooth file transfer but not mass storage. If you can live with that and the phone satisfies your requirements, then go ahead, The 710/focus will serve you well for the near future. However it makes almost no sense to go for a new wp7.5 phone so close to the release of wp8 phones. I am sure there will be competent wp8 low-mid range phones announced soon.

@Ambar You should go with Samsung Focus. The reasons are plenty:
1. Expandable Storage, I have installed Samsung 16Gb Class 6 in mine in addition to 8Gb inbuilt.
2. 4" Super AMOLED Screen, its beautiful.
3. Excellent DEV Support. I have all the Nokia Apps including Drive, Maps, Music, City Lens etc.
4. Homebrew Apps. It makes a massive difference. Apps such as Dynamic Background, Quick Launch and deploying other xap's its fun.
5. Very Good camera and music player performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Thanks for the advice. Just got a Focus yesterday 2nd hand :D very happy with the device.

Though when I tried flashing WP7.8 from xda today, the phone just kept restarting at the SAMSUNG logo. Weird. Will try some other ROM.

Back