The Sports Thread (Cricket, Football, Hockey, F1, Tennis, Archery, Wrestling, Golf, Kabaddi, Swimming, Sprinting, Chess and everything else)

rootyme

Jaadoo
Adept
This is the TechEnclave thread for sports and sports related discussions. Reflective of India's core values of diversity and inclusiveness, this thread is to be a true amalgamation of every single sports in existence on this planet. Feel free to share your childhood/past/present experience with various sports, sports related activities, and your visions/aspirations.

Olympics, Cricket World Cup, IPL, Australian open, MotoGP - You name it. As long as it is a form of sports, it belongs here.

Like a match? Share it here. A great game in the cards? Share it here. An important twist in a match? Share it here. Visited a stadium to witness a sport in person? Share the experience with pics! Heartbroken/elated with the outcome of a game? Share it here. Is it raining sixes and you wish to cheer up your team? Share.it.here. Iconic moments from the sports' history? Share it. Interesting stats? Share it.

Visited some new location? Tried sth like Bungee Jumping? That's also a form of sports. Share that experience here. Pics are welcome, too.

Go out for jogging every morning? Or do you run or walk? That's also sports! Share it! Were/Are you a legend in your club? Share it!

Had a dream last night of becoming the next Sachin Viswanathan Chhetri? Share it. ;)

Recommendation: Share a list of your favourite sports in your first post!

Thread rules:
No hate. No abuse. No politics.

Football, badminton, skating , swimming I learnt them all and played them well too. Since covid climbing stairs is the only sport I do, I've become such a lazy bum in the last few years.
To Do List Nothing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Great thread! I will definitely be contributing regularly on this one. :)

My Favorite sports would be Cricket & Tennis. I follow both sports as much as I can. In Tennis I follow the full tours for both ATP and WTA and not just the Grand Slams. Even if I miss a few Tennis matches due to time zone differences or if I'm traveling trans Atlantic I make it a point to watch the highlights later and chime in regularly on Tennis forums on the web.

Currently I'm a little saddened about the way the Big 3 in Tennis are about to slowly ride into the sunset. Well, Federer rode off a couple of years ago but of late Nadal and Djokovic are also showing signs of gradual decline. In Nadal's case now the decline is more prominent. His serves, ground game, movement are a shadow of how it all used to be in his peak. His recent losses in Madrid and particularly in Rome to Hurkacz have seriously made me question if at all he will be able to even get to the SF in Roland Garros later this month. Many are even questioning if at all he will take part now at RG but I'm pretty sure he will as this appearance of his will be his final one. On the positive side I will cherish watching the King of Clay one last time duking it out on his most successful surface.

Djokovic's recent freak accidental injury to his head (maybe even a concussion) and also his inability to win in R1 of the Italian Open in Rome has left me wondering how deep into the RG tournament he'll be able to go. With no Sinner and Alcaraz mostly at the RG maybe Nole will make it to the Finals and even win the entire thing but this is the first time in a long time where he hasn't won a single title from the start of the year which is concerning. He also seems less passionate now in his matches but he has already achieved so much that I find it hard to see what else there is for him to actually get anymore as far as records are concerned.

Nobody beats Father Time but since I grew up watching the Big 3 (and at one time the Big 4) play at their peak it definitely feels heartbreaking to see them gradually come to the end of their sporting careers.

In Tennis I follow the full tours for both ATP and WTA and not just the Grand Slams. Even if I miss a few Tennis matches due to time zone differences or if I'm traveling trans Atlantic I make it a point to watch the highlights later and chime in regularly on Tennis forums on the web.
Opinion on Indian players such as Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupati?

What IPL team do you support guys? Is RCB qualifying for the playoffs?

Played football, cricket, badminton, volleyball, basketball, swimming, table tennis and waterpolo. Was a national level player in the 2 of the sports mentioned. Now, recovering from an injury. ETA to get back to playing regularly: 1 year :(
Is it true that waterpolo is the toughest sport in terms of cardiovascular endurance?

Hoping RCB can topple over CSK and get into the play-offs!

I'm delighted that my hometeam KKR have already qualified and sitting pretty on top of the table :)

Raw deadlifted 4 plates yesterday, (that's 180 kg). I was working up to this weight from the last few months. Big milestone done. Felt good.
May I ask what strength program you follow and for how long have you been working out?

At deadlift alone I'm stuck at 140kg 1rm (albeit not the best form). I reached this PR from following 5/3/1 Upper lower split for 4 days a week for the past year and a half. Personally I am somewhat happy with my program but it is very slow incremental progress.

This summer break though I'm following a much better diet and with no University I should be able to hit the gym more constantly this month so I'm hoping for a boost in reps or improvement in form.

My bench press is stuck at 90kg for 2 reps, can't push through the 3rd rep which would then allow me to move onto hitting a 95kg 1rm. I've implemented pause 1 rep sets of 85kg to help with the push from the bottom. And I actually seem to have figured out how to properly place my back on the bench now lol

Squats have been confusing for me, prior to taking a big gap, I either wrongly noted down 105kg as 115kg squat for 3 reps or I've gotten weaker within a month (probably the latter). Hoping to hit 120kg squat soon enough. OHP has been stuck at 60kg for 2 reps, such an odd exercise with my strength fluctuating at random.

I believe with my better heavier protein based diet and the fact I'll actually be able to go more consistently, I can see the numbers soar through soon.
My bodyweight at the moment is 80kg and my height is 6ft. I honestly think it's just been my shitty diet and inconsistent training this past year that has slowed down my progress. Started in 2022 and been roughly 2 years, although missed a few months in between due to life.

Also lovely to see Arsenal fans cry!

At deadlift alone I'm stuck at 140kg 1rm (albeit not the best form).
I'd drop the weight and maintain form always unless you want to injure your back. Keeping form will help supporting muscle groups adapt.
Personally I am somewhat happy with my program but it is very slow incremental progress.
This the mind game part. To stick at it and appreciate every little gain no matter how small.
My bench press is stuck at 90kg for 2 reps, can't push through the 3rd rep which would then allow me to move onto hitting a 95kg 1rm. I've implemented pause 1 rep sets of 85kg to help with the push from the bottom. And I actually seem to have figured out how to properly place my back on the bench now lol
You seem to be following a power lift regime. I used to stick to ten reps of three sets on a split system.

Then another three of leg press. And finally on the incline for front quads

I'd drop the weight and maintain form always unless you want to injure your back. Keeping form will help supporting muscle groups adapt.
Yes, I don't use that as a training max. It was a few months back when I felt good and thought I would see how far I could go. Now I'm back on a training max of 130kg. This upcoming week I'll be trying to hit 125kg 1rm, and an additional 2 reps as an amrap. As long as I don't feel immediate soreness or pain if I finish a set, I don't worry too much about my form not being perfect at a high weight. The soreness of my legs,hips and back are common for me over the next 5 days.
You seem to be following a power lift regime. I used to stick to ten reps of three sets on a split system.
I followed a PPL routine for the first 6 months (complete newbie). That was fine when I had a lot of free time but I switched to an Upper lower split which was basically a 5/3/1 powerlift regime as you said with accessory lifts for the rest of the body (depending on the day) and for aesthetic reasons. And yes I do care a bit about the numbers I pull and would like it to be a big nice number while still maintaning a decent bodyweight and look (Hence why I haven't' just ended up bloating over to 100kg bodyweight)

For OHP, I have switched to doing less weight and more reps, recently stopped trying to hit 60kg for 3 reps (I plateaued for too long) and now I'm doing more 5-10 reps (55kg for 5reps recently and 50 for 10) and that should show improvement soon enough for my max.

I also just do the classic 3 sets of 10 reps like how you did, mainly if I fail my last set which was supposed to be a new max or new rep pr. I reduce the weight for example on benchpress from 90 to 70/60kg and do incline bench press, starting at 12 reps to ending it to around 6/8 or close to failure.

Is it true that waterpolo is the toughest sport in terms of cardiovascular endurance?
Yep, since it is a combination of swimming, wrestling and handball. Once I managed to burn 2000 calories in one hour while playing under the afternoon sun. Fun times

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying.

May I ask what strength program you follow and for how long have you been working out?
Working out since 2008, but wasn't serious or regular. I have been consistent since 2015 except for a few years around covid. I got into strength training around 2018 (more like got addicted to lifting heavy)
I don't always keep to conventional strength programs. I keep changing it a lot. Though, I, was doing 3x3 working sets for DLs till I stalled at 170. I was there for a couple of months. Gave up after failing 180 for several attempts. Then I focused on volume (around 140-160) for a couple of months. Then this month, I felt like I could do 180 and was indeed able to do it twice.
A few things I imagine that helped like, loaded (50kg+) hyperextensions, heavy leg presses, high volume with better form and deloading. 180 isn't new for me. I did hit it in 2019 too. But, it was done with a better form this time.

At deadlift alone I'm stuck at 140kg 1rm (albeit not the best form). I reached this PR from following 5/3/1 Upper lower split for 4 days a week for the past year and a half. Personally I am somewhat happy with my program but it is very slow incremental progress.
Dude that's wonderful. 140 gives you bragging rights, period. It takes time. It took me longer to go from 3 plates to 4 plates than what it took me to go from 1 plate to 3 plates. I have changed my form, technique many times. In my observation, many people are indeed strong to lift 140kg (315) but they lack in the form. The deadlift is a highly technical exercise. I'll say, it's more an art form than just sheer strength. The number of variables to execute a perfect deadlift is big.

Impressive. You are almost there, benching 2 plates. Thanks to my golfer's elbow, I sadly, can't bench with bar these days.

Squats have been confusing for me, prior to taking a big gap, I either wrongly noted down 105kg as 115kg squat for 3 reps or I've gotten weaker within a month (probably the latter). Hoping to hit 120kg squat soon enough.
Nice. Have you tried low bar squat? I'm sure you can already do 120kg.

OHP has been stuck at 60kg for 2 reps, such an odd exercise with my strength fluctuating at random.
You got a full package, mate. OHP numbers will fluctuate if one under-trains or under-engages the core. If the core isn't wobbly, I'd increase my volume.

I believe with my better heavier protein based diet and the fact I'll actually be able to go more consistently, I can see the numbers soar through soon.
My bodyweight at the moment is 80kg and my height is 6ft. I honestly think it's just been my shitty diet and inconsistent training this past year that has slowed down my progress. Started in 2022 and been roughly 2 years, although missed a few months in between due to life.
Yup, you already know your stuff. Good diet and persistence are the key. I would make sure that "diet eating healthy" and "lifting" are upgrades to a normal lifestyle. Do them in such a manner that they should never feel like chores. If one starts enjoying them like alcohol, which I do, getting fit and stronger become mere side effects.

Hoping RCB can topple over CSK and get into the play-offs!
Wow what a game this was. Yash Dayal.. Gotta feel for him. Imagine getting hit for a 110 meter SIX and then conceding only two more in the final over. RCB really put on their A game. Lockie's first over was epic but man did he have nightmarish next two. That catch by Faf, a man aged 39... So many great things about this match!

I had not watched a single game this season before this one. No favourites either. But I want to see RCB lift a trophy. They deserved it in 2011. Virat deserves one.

Last edited:
Back