The mystery of making a perfect roti/chapati

The next thing is its immediate storage. You always cover your cooked rotis with a cotton cloth to keep them soft and moist, because if your rotis are left exposed to air when they are thin, they will dry out no matter how perfect they are.
+100 to this. We learned this the hard way. Either consume immediately or store it covered with a cloth to retain the moisture.

Last edited:
To Summarize

Ultimate guide for cooking (near) perfect Chapatis for Men

Process
  • Use heavier cast iron tawa
  • Flame the Tawa on full gas for 2 mins and then keep the flame low as pans wont cool down so easily.
  • Make sure tawa is sufficiently hot but not super hot. sprinkle tiny bit of flour on hot tawa and check how quickly it turns brown. within 3~5 seconds is a good indicator.
  • Place rolled chapati on tawa and cook only one side up to 80~90% done. don't move the chapati. it'll start to unstick on its own.
  • Turn it over. chapati will start to puff up in a short time and then it's up to you how much you want to play with it. turn over if required.
  • Ensure you cook the chapatis at the center only from both sides each side for not more than a minute.

Environmental Factors
  • Thicker the pan better it is, helps is distributing the heat evenly.
  • Do not flip the chapatis too often, 2 is the ideal no of time.
  • Quality will also depends on how firm is the dough.

Disclaimer
  • Do not try to match the speed and accuracy of the process and end product with that of ladies in the house. :rolleyes:
  • Your hunger may act as a roadblock

@TheNawab Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant so i stay away from anything which has milk products in it. I usually use sunflower oil or rice bran oil and about 2 spoons per cup. I still get hard rotis. Maybe I overcook it. I think rotis cook properly when they get dark brown spots on them. How soon does thin flat bread cook? 1 -2 minutes?
Generally done in a minute on high heat. Roti is considered cooked when its texture changes from doughy to a semi-dry fabric-like texture. You are probably overcooking them.

Any recommendations for cast iron tawa? Lot of the iron tawas are just mass manufactured from cast iron rolled sheets instead of hand casting - like old times where you get those thiick sponge type holes in iron pan. Indus Valley, Solimo etc all use the machine pressed sheets which are just less than a mm thick. I have Indus Valley kadai and small tadka pan products. These thin iron products glow red like lava on induction stove on higher temps and power and destroy the induction glass.

I am searching for real thick tawa about 2-4mm thick.

Any recommendations for cast iron tawa? Lot of the iron tawas are just mass manufactured from cast iron rolled sheets instead of hand casting - like old times where you get those thiick sponge type holes in iron pan. Indus Valley, Solimo etc all use the machine pressed sheets which are just less than a mm thick. I have Indus Valley kadai and small tadka pan products. These thin iron products glow red like lava on induction stove on higher temps and power and destroy the induction glass.

I am searching for real thick tawa about 2-4mm thick.

Lodge Manufacturing Cast Iron Skillet might be good for you. Have never used it personally, but I have heard only good things about it from other Indian chefs in my workplace.

Lodge Round Griddle 10.5 Inhes Diam 1/2"Deep (L90G3) - Cast Iron, Black: https://amzn.eu/d/2iuEkyj

Everyone has a different expectation about a perfect chapati / phulka / roti.
The question / topic is wrong unless supplemented by a photo showing what is meant by perfect.

My 2 cents, I make chapatis daily at home to help my mother (mostly dinner).

1. Turn ON the pan(tawa) on high flame and let it be hot, place hand over the pan (don't touch it) until you feel the heat
2. Place your rolled chapati on the pan and let it cook on high or medium doesn't matter but enough so that some parts are bubbling
3. Flip the chapati and let it cook from other side, same thing let it bubble
4. Remove the Pan, make sure the stove is on High flame and place chapati directly on the Gas stove with a Roti tong and it will puff up then flip it and do same on other side
5. Your chapati is ready.

Note: You will not get this right in first time, it is same as rolling a round chapati. It takes time took me like 2 weeks to learn to roll the chapati and takes time to cook it perfectly as well so be patient :)

Back