The Logitech Z5500 - Making the Walls Crumble!

thanks a lot....and Thanks for the pic for uploading. :)

Anyhow asking this, according to logitech forum these are the older sets, the newer one have Headphone button in the remote and No Power Button.Removing Power button is very inconvenient for the user because

every time a user need to find sub-woofer back switch to off/standby unless he want to disconnect from main AC Cord.

Reason behind removing power button is, In standby mode this set sucks a good amount of power from the main which is below the slandered in EU greener rule...So unless they design a new set they tweak here and there. (I'm hoping from this maybe better long lasting sets)
I'm wondering if anyone in India get the newer set yet or we are stuck in with older models ......:(:(

I want to buy newer model coz maybe it's life is more than older models.

img047079cq.jpg

I think in the newer models they have done away with failing led lights on the volume display console.

Not that i think people minded as the lights were way too bright.Most if i know didint even bother repairing them.

Also research more before diving in straight for the newer ones.

freshseasons1 said:
img047079cq.jpg

I think in the newer models they have done away with failing led lights on the volume display console.

Not that i think people minded as the lights were way too bright.Most if i know didint even bother repairing them.

Also research more before diving in straight for the newer ones.

Yes, if the normal LED back light dead there is no problem,but I heard/read Control pod dead too....that is scary, So I'm hoping if this change by newer model.

Congrats! I've been planning to get a set for myself since last year for my HTPC setup but never got around to having the extra cash. The frickin thing is I'd have to pay 19.5k even though I'm an authorised dealer for Rashi. Guwahati (our nearest hub) loves messing the NE on prices.

dissel said:
I'm wondering if anyone in India get the newer set yet or we are stuck in with older models ......:(:(

I want to buy newer model coz maybe it's life is more than older models.
I just got a Z5500 for someone i know and the remote is the same as this one, with the power button.

The z5500 is a good setup for its price but if you guys find an onkyo s3100 for say 18k, please do not hesitate to take that over a z5500.

corelement said:
The z5500 is a good setup for its price but if you guys find an onkyo s3100 for say 18k, please do not hesitate to take that over a z5500.

Onkyo HT-S3200 cost around 22-25k (I can go this far) in kolkata, Is it worth taking over z5500 ? many member here mentioned that is not as good as making thundering sound like 5500? Please enlighten anyone.

Ahh the old sub discussion

sub = to extend sound into lower frequencies

Logitech sub has a fixed crossover of approx 90-120db / forgotten

onkyo sub has variable crossover from the full fledged AVR that comes with the system

The higher a crossover for a sub is, the more "noise" from the mid range comes to the sub and you 'lose' the primary application of a sub.. to produce low frequencies.

What is low frequencies?

Well some would argue all audio low frequencies below 80hz on any gadget is nonsense as the only thing that can produce blow 80hz is a pipeorgan.

BUT , not going into that discussion. A sub is meant to "extend into" the lower ranges the main speakers are "unable" or "incapable" of so if the subs crossover is high you make the sub "incapable" of producing lower frequencies of say 30-80. It becomes "boomy" by boomy I'm refering to the bathroom signing/thunder boomy, not sound pressure boom. Low frequencies arent meant to be "heard" , its to be felt. The logitech z5500 sub like you said has the tendency to do thunderring boom, this is because theres too much noise from mid frequencies thats spilling over into the sub. This is 'bad' if you've understood what I wrote above.

Specifically @ dissel

If you indeed have a budget and arent into the home theatre bandwagon, you can try a stereo setup which will deliver superior audio quailty in comparison to simply producing 'loud' sound by investing in a pair of cambride audio sirrocoo s70 towers at 17k http://www.avac.kr/front/ac_mdfile/Product_Img/CambridgeAudio/Sirocco/sicccoos70_7.jpg and 5-6k for a stereo amp.

I own these since 2007. They are amazing speakers. The bass is just out of this world. And remember there are little tweaks you can do to get more out of it.

Try to hold the mute button on the control and then turn the volume knob to full, after it goes till the end, it will get into boost mode... where you can pump even louder music.

Also, there are some other tweaks, like you can turn the color of the control pod to violet. Just google and it should help you know more about them.

Btw, how are you connecting them to your PC? optical, coax of component??? The best output I got is from optical. Less noise

@corelement Thanks for ur valuable post ......

here is the rating of Onkyo 3200 sub from manual page.

I want to know RMS power of the sub, Is it 130W, where logitech clearly stated that 188W power in their SUB.

And yes I don't understand much of your words...but looking at your signature and thread I can understand you are the High-End Audio Enthusiastic/Experts. So if please forgive my ignorance....Please remember I'm seeking info not arguing.

1.Are you saying the Logitech doing intentionally make the SUB which is produce much Bass or it is SUB's design defective ? Please enlighten....

2. Z-5500 have 505 watt RMS power and Onkyo 3200 have 600 watt(somewhere I read), I read many article where author said, PC Speaker for your personal use and HT,AVR usage is suitable with family in the living room...

How the above system works 11x12 room ? I know Onkyo is sufficient, but Z-5500 sufficient ?

Hearing distance is 6-7 ft from the front 3 spkr which is 69w center and 62w Right/Left of Z5500...which I think the vital for a 5.1 system.

I don't have any soft feeling/bending towards Logitech...I just want to invest my money properly.

Z5500 have poor connectivity as compared to the Onkyo....but now a days every modern device come with optical or coax...so I'm not worried.

I didn't find any review of 3200 in the net (excapt tech2) nor any vids in youtube only 2 one is from company sponsored demo of connectivity and other from a user who playing "Bass I love you" Track.

but 5500 have thousand from unboxing to dismantle the whole unit.

Back