User Guides The gaming laptop guide

The gaming laptop guide

Don't be fooled by the title. This is not an article which gives info only on high end gaming laptops. It is an article meant to guide users, right from the ones aiming for entry-level/casual gaming on their laptops all the way upto heavy gamers, all levels of gaming included.

It is meant to create awareness about the various specifications and factors you should consider while buying a laptop if you are going to play games on the laptop, the importance of each, and how not to get fooled by cunning salesmen.

In the end, i will also cover some finer details like what to look for apart from the spec-sheet. I will include the latest components (like processors, GPUs etc...) in the comparison, and also components which are one generation old, since they are still present in some laptops on sale(like first generation Core 'i' processors, previous generation GPUs).

Firstly, it is important to understand that a laptop will not perform to the same level as a similar budget desktop PC in games. And, it is nearly impossible to change the processor or GPU(which are the 2 most important components in gaming), once you have purchased a laptop. So before buying, make sure that you want a laptop, and not a desktop, because you cannot afford to change your decision once the purchase is done. Also make sure that you do a good amount of research before making the purchase (reading this article will be a step towards this), and purchase a laptop perfectly suited to your needs and providing the best in your budget.

Finally, also note that a particular laptop GPU does not perform anywhere near as well as a desktop GPU having the same model no.

So let us start looking at what you should look for in a gaming laptop, what affects gaming performance and what does not.

1) GPU (graphics)

The graphics processing unit (GPU) is the most important component when you are playing games on your laptop.

This is generally referred to as 'Graphics card' or 'Video card'. (The general term GPU or just 'graphics' for short, is more appropriate as it can be used to dedicated as well as integrated type)

Generally, it is very hard to find a laptop with a good GPU but a poor CPU or lesser RAM. If the GPU is good, in most cases, the CPU and RAM are automatically good too.

There are two main types of graphics:

1.Dedicated

2.Integrated

Dedicated GPUs are made by NVIDIA and ATI(now AMD). They have their own dedicated graphics memory.

Integrated graphics are made primarily by Intel and ATI(AMD), and they do not have memory dedicated to the GPU. Instead, they use some of the laptop's RAM as 'shared memory'.

Dedicated GPUs are in general, much more powerful than integrated GPUs. They are obviously more expensive too, and hence are not used in very cheap laptops.

The equation between GPU and gaming performance is pretty simple. Better GPU = Better gaming performance. There is no exception to this rule, unless the GPU's clock speed has been altered (Underclocked or overclocked).

While playing games in laptops, the GPU is generally the 'bottleneck' (the component which prevents the full utilisation of other components due to its own weakness), except at extremely low settings (if the GPU is strong and CPU is weak), but this case can be safely ignored. Forget i even mentioned it.

(I mentioned it just because techies should not say i havent mentioned this case :) ).

Consider two cases:

1. Intel Core i3-370m + 3 GB RAM + mid-high end GPU

2. Intel Core i7-920m + 8 GB RAM + mid-low end GPU.

Game running at max possible settings.

Which laptop will have better gaming performance?

The answer is simple: 1.

This shows how important the GPU is to gaming.

Now let us make a list of GPUs in India for comparison, which will be useful for practical purposes to buyers:

GPUs in each section are listed in increasing order of performance.

1. Entry-level/low end GPUs

Intel Graphics media accelerator(GMA)(all versions)

ATI radeon HD 4200 ~ 4250

ATI radeon HD 6310

Intel HD Graphics(first gen Core 'i' series)

Intel HD 2000

Intel HD 3000

ATI mobility radeon 5470, 6370

(All except last are integrated)

These GPUs can run older, less demanding games such as NFS most wanted, CS 1.6 easily at max setting.

They can run moderately demanding games such as FIFA 11, Left 4 Dead etc... at medium setting.

The first few cannot run demanding games such as Crysis, Metro 2033 while the later few can just run at low setting.

2. Low-Mid range GPUs

ATI mobility radeon 6470

ATI mobility radeon 6490

NVIDIA GT 520M

ATI HD 550v

NVIDIA GT 420M

These GPUs can run older and moderately demanding games at max setting.

They can run demanding games at medium setting.

3. Mid-range GPUs

NVIDIA GT 525M

ATI mobility radeon 5650, 6550

NVIDIA GT 435M ~ ATI mobility radeon 6630

ATI mobility radeon 5730, 6570

NVIDIA GT 540M

These GPUs can run older and moderately demanding games at maxed out setting.

They can run demanding games at mid-high setting smoothly and at high end(not ultra) settings with a bit of lag.(considering resolution to be 1366 x 768).

4.Mid-high end GPUs

NVIDIA GT 550M

ATI mobility radeon 6750

These GPUs can run older and moderately demanding games at maxed out setting.

They can run demanding games slightly better than mid-range GPUs at high settings, but still not very smoothly.(considering resolution to be 1366 x 768).

5. High-end GPUs

NVIDIA GT 445M

ATI mobility radeon 6770

NVIDIA GT 555M

Thes GPUs can run older and moderately demanding at maxed out settings.

Demanding games run at high settings smoothly but not at ultra(maxed out) setting. (considering resolution to be 1366 x 768).

6. Enthusiast GPUs

ATI mobility radeon 5870

NVIDIA GTX 460M

ATI mobility radeon 6970

NVIDIA GTX 580M
They can run all games at maxed out settings, with a few exceptions such as Metro 2033 at ultra settings.

(~ = very similar performance, Two GPUs separated by comma indicates that one of them is simply a renamed version of the other)

As you can observe, the second digit in the model number can give you a rough idea of how capable a GPU is. Like Model no. x4xx of ATI is an entry level GPU, x6x of NVIDIA is an enthusiast GPU etc...

Now one last important thing about GPUs.

It is advisable to go through this list to locate and judge the GPU in the laptop, but in case you find that the model no. of the GPU in a laptop is not mentioned in the ad or in the shop, make sure that you ask or find out the model no. of the GPU before making the purchase.

In many (actually most) cases, it just says '1 GB graphics'

or '1 GB premium graphics' or '1 GB ATI/NVIDIA graphic card'.

Do not fall for this trick. If the shop advertises it as 1 GB graphics, it may even be an intergrated graphics or the weakest dedicated one. Make sure you find out the model no. and look up the chart before buying. Finally, if you have the above chart before you and the model no. of the GPU, do not need to find out or bother if the GPU has 1 GB or 2 GB or even 3 GB of video memory, or if the memory is GDDR3 or GDDR5. Just forget these confusing factors and make your decision based on the chart above.

Note: Sony underclocks GPUs in some of its laptops for stability purposes.

2) CPU (processor)

CPU is second to GPU in importance in gaming laptops.

Any i3, i5 or i7 CPU (whethere first or second-generation), will be strong enough not to be a bottleneck for laptop GPUs. Apart from a few lower-end, now phased out CPUs such as i3-330M, i3-350M (These may knock off a few FPS), your game will not be affected much by which CPU you have.

3) RAM

Even low-mid end laptops come with 3 GB RAM or more nowadays.

Most games can run well even with 2 GB RAM, and more than 4 GB RAM is not necessary. So, RAM is not an issue since the 3 or 4 GB of RAM the laptop can easily handle all games. The upgrade from 3 to 4 GB might give a very slight performance boost while upgrade from 4 GB to even 8 GB will hardly boost gaming performance.

4) Screen

If you want your laptop to act as a desktop replacement, a screen size of 17″ or higher is ideal, but if you are going to carry your laptop around often, a 15-16″ inch laptop generally is easier to carry and generally weighs lesser. Even 14" laptops come with decent GPUs nowadays.

The standard native resolution for a regular sized laptop is

1366 x 768. But, screen quality is not the same in all laptops.

For example, the Dell XPS 15 has a better quality screen than a Lenovo Ideapad Y560, though the dimensions and resolutions of the two screens are the same. This factor is not something you will realise by looking at the spec-sheet of the laptop, but by practically looking at the product or asking for opinions in the forum or go through reviews.

5) Battery

If you are playing high-end games on a laptop, you cannot expect a very good battery life. An hour and a half to a couple of hours of gaming is the usual battery life expected from a 6-cell battery. You can upgrade to a 9-cell battery if you want to game for more time on battery(without having to carry the AC adapter around). But, this may increase the weight of the laptop as much as charger itself, so keep this in mind. But it will be more useful if it is simply not possible to connect to a power source at that time.

6) Keyboard, Touchpad, Speakers

Keyboard, touchpad and speaker quality vary from one manufacturer to another, and their quality depends more on the manufacturer and laptop series. Some manufacturers provide numpad in keyboard, while some do not. Speaker quality is good in some models like Dell XPS, while it is not that good in some others. The best way to judge how good these components are in a particular laptop is either to go through reviews, asking in forums or having a hands-on experience with the laptop.

7) Some other minor factors

Factors such as weight, build quality do not affect gaming experience, but affect the portability, look and feel of the laptop. An Acer 5742G with a sandy-bridge i5 and a 540M may give identical performance to a Dell XPS 15 with same specs, but costs around 37k, while the Dell costs around 53k. This is because of better build quality, screen quality, touchpad quality, speaker quality etc...

While none of these may affect performance, it may improve user experience while using the laptop. Brand value, while having no effect on performance or looks, does effect how a user feels while showing off/carrying the laptop among friends.

General brand value(out of 5)(Higher value = More envious friends :p)

Note: This is only my personal opinion, and your opinion may differ regarding this.

1. HCL

2. Toshiba, Acer

3. HP, Dell, MSI

4. Asus, Sony

5. Apple, Alienware

(May differ from person to person)

If you plan to connect your laptop to a HDTV for gaming at full HD resolution (1920x1080) , the performance will not be as good. You may have to pick a lower setting, especially for demanding games.

Read all the above points and choose wisely.

This is like a self-study material for buyers and other users, and if you feel you need more details for comparison or other specific questions, post in the laptop buying section.

Constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you :) .

Nice post! I've always wondered which one of the two, GPU or CPU was the limiting factor for gaming. Even so, all laptops that come with a high end graphics card inevitably show up with an i7.

Great guide.. only problem in India is that in the 60k range there is only the HP and Dell to compete and 1 offers vastly better GPU while the other offers vastly better screen... Why can't we combine both and get some serious awesomness/!?

Nice guide. :) But the 'NVIDIA GT 550M' is not really high end. It has the same no. of shaders or cores(96) as the GT525M and GT540M. Its just clocked ~70MHz more than the GT540M

Thanks for the correction. I updated the post. Had to add another category to fit in two GPUs which had to be removed from the 'High-end' category. The main problem is that the GPUs in mid-high and high end categories have small increments in performance from one GPU to another so it is hard to decide where to fit them in.

shubhangam said:
Great guide.. only problem in India is that in the 60k range there is only the HP and Dell to compete and 1 offers vastly better GPU while the other offers vastly better screen... Why can't we combine both and get some serious awesomness/!?

Very true. The HP dv6 having a Radeon 6770 simply crushes the 540M in the XPS 15 in gaming performance, but the Dell has a better screen and better speakers.

The HP even offers an i7 processor in that particular model (dv6-6017TX). The Dell and HP are both priced at around 52-53k. In fact, the XPS 15, at a higher price offers only an i5 processor. But it offers the OS disc.

So, the user has to decide his priorities before buying, whether he prefers better performance or overall better quality.

Nice article. I do hope you come out with part 2, if you do, please consider the following -

- Please include 3D and comparisons between GPUs e.g 3GB Nvidia 555M and 1GB Nvidia 560M etc etc.

- RAM/CPU considerations while purchasing 3D notebooks.

- Naked eye v Glass"ed " 3D etc.

- Hopefully more Llano notebooks.

quixand said:
Nice article. I do hope you come out with part 2, if you do, please consider the following -

- Please include 3D and comparisons between GPUs e.g 3GB Nvidia 555M and 1GB Nvidia 560M etc etc.

- RAM/CPU considerations while purchasing 3D notebooks.

- Naked eye v Glass"ed " 3D etc.

- Hopefully more Llano notebooks.

Ya sure. Since these technologies(like 3D) are not that popular or widely used here now in laptops, i have not mentioned about it. Llano will be added later when it comes out.

I understand that the Brand Value ranking given by you is your own view and not to be confused with a generalized view.

I can see the "may differ from person to person" tag but I guess you should mention that its your own way of looking at it.

kestrel5915 said:
I understand that the Brand Value ranking given by you is your own view and not to be confused with a generalized view.

I can see the "may differ from person to person" tag but I guess you should mention that its your own way of looking at it.

Updated. Anything else?

Even a mid-end desktop like a i5 760 + GTS 450 + 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz has better performance than a Alienware M17x Laptop which costs 147k in India

Javed343 said:
Even a mid-end desktop like a i5 760 + GTS 450 + 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz has better performance than a Alienware M17x Laptop which costs 147k in India

And your point is ?

Even Apple lappys are sold at ridiculous prices, but no one complains. It is more about portability & quality than performance that judges the price.

I bought the VAIO CB15 even though an HP model had much better CPU+GPU at lesser price. That's because HP iss notorious when it comes to service, build-quality & heat dissipation. And I must say that I am happy with my choice.

Javed343 said:

I have mentioned about this in the the start 'Firstly, it is important to understand that a laptop will not perform to the same level as a similar budget desktop PC in games.'

You have a point, but sometimes, it is not possible for someone to buy a desktop because of reasons like, they are living temporarily somewhere, or need to carrying all their work and games in one PC, or keep travelling, or simply own a desktop already.

@ OP

Nice guide,

BTW can you also add a list of major Laptop Brands Pros/cons similar to something which you have done in this thread

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/the-smartphone-manufacturer-guide-194542-3.html

Because Reliability is also an important concern other then components:

For Ex. My Hp Dv6 Mainboard conked out after 1.5 yrs usage and I had to shell almost 17k to get it replaced. It would have been okay as an isolated incident,but then the replacement Mainboard itself conked out after 3 months.Thankfully it was under warranty and got replaced for free.

And similar things also happened to two of my freiends who thankfully were under extended warranty from HP.

It was a fundamental defect from HP where the low end 8400gs would overheat and conk out and the blame should squarely be put on HP/Nvidia as was proved by recent litigation against Nvidia in US.

A similar thing happened to my friend who purchased a MSI Laptop. I dont remember The model no. But it was a flashy Laptop with red accents,Basic 1st gen Core I5 processor and a totally Awesome 1GB ATI 5850 Card. It was a dream machine at 48k.And to top it all It came with 2 years limited warranty.

But unfortunately,The laptop is noisy and more importantly heats up even with basic use like browsing net. Yes,I understand It is a powerful GPU but really MSI heat vent/Fan/cooling system sucks big time.I think They are only Good in Basic segment until they improve/resolve the overheating issue.

Also I know That he can get the mainboard replaced if something goes wrong, But rushing everytime To Nehru place service centre is not exactly everyone's idea of fun.

The net Result is that The MSI "Gamers delight" sits comfortably in the corner of his room,and even when he plays games on it,Its for short bursts like 20 mins?

By comparison I have seen Dell/Toshiba having much better cooling solutions defacto. Infact even Lenevo Thinkpads stay cool but the fans in Thinkpad series are a bit loud for my liking.

Overall after This long post I will suggest to the fellow readers;

1) Hp: Cons: Poor Cooling/Ventilation,Overheating problems, Replacement parts expensive

Pro's: Good choice of components, Expensive but good service Quality

2)MSi: Pro's: Great components at unbelievable price , 2 years warranty digilink

Cons: Poor Ventilation/Noisy Fans, Poor driver support from the manufacturer

Javed343 said:

Actually even if the same GPU is used in both a laptop and a desktop then too their versions are different.

Also laptop is more about portability than anything else.

People also pay 30k to get a dual core device that fits in the pockets.

pauldmps said:
And your point is ?

Even Apple lappys are sold at ridiculous prices, but no one complains. It is more about portability & quality than performance that judges the price.

I bought the VAIO CB15 even though an HP model had much better CPU+GPU at lesser price. That's because HP iss notorious when it comes to service, build-quality & heat dissipation. And I must say that I am happy with my choice.

My point is that even mid-end desktop parts can easily outnumber high end so called "gaming" laptops in performance. Moral of the story: Laptops aren't for gaming, not yet. And the desktop I mentioned in my post is a fraction of the price of an Alienware M17x

And laptop graphics cards(mobile versions) and desktop graphics cards are obviously different. For eg: GTX 460(desktop) is far much better in performance than the GTX 460M(Mobile Version)

Thanks to all users for replying, reps and likes. :)
@ aka911
I will need to collect a lot of info to add that info to the guide, because those things vary not only from brand to brand, but also differ in various laptop series of the same manufacturer. But, since you say so, i will try my best to gather info. If you want, we can make a shared guide for the same, or have users post their experiences and gather more info on this subject. :)

Thanks a lot for this guide of yours, the clasification of the cards was really helpful, i was about to buy NVIDIA GT 525M believing the salesman that it was a mid-high range card.

I appreciate your effort but i have a few gripes:
rhlravi said:
Consider two cases:1. Intel Core i3-330m (weakest core 'i' series CPU) + 3 GB RAM + good GPU2. Intel Core i7-920m + 8 GB RAM + 10% weaker GPU.Game running at max possible settings.Which laptop will have better gaming performance?The answer is simple: 1.
I disagree. Laptops are generally stuck with a 720p screen, and a quad core CPU makes a huge difference to frame rates at that resolution, specially when many game engines are now being designed with multi-threading in mind. Consider the latest scenario: which is better : i7 2630QM (2 Ghz) w/ GT525M or i5 2410M (2.3 Ghz) w/ GT550M ?
rhlravi said:
Now let us make a list of GPUs in India for comparison, which will be useful for practical purposes to buyers:GPUs in each section are listed in increasing order of performance.1. Entry-level/low end GPUs Intel Graphics media accelerator(GMA)(all versions) ATI radeon HD 4200 ~ 4250 ATI radeon HD 6310 Intel HD Graphics(first gen Core 'i' series) Intel HD 2000 Intel HD 3000 ATI mobility radeon 5470, 6370(All except last are integrated)These GPUs can run older, less demanding games such as NFS most wanted, CS 1.6 easily at max setting.They can run moderately demanding games such as FIFA 11, Left 4 Dead etc... at medium setting.The first few cannot run demanding games such as Crysis, Metro 2033 while the later few can just run at low setting.2. Low-Mid range GPUs ATI mobility radeon 6470 ATI mobility radeon 6490 ~ ATI HD 550v NVIDIA GT 420M NVIDIA GT 525MThese GPUs can run older and moderately demanding games at max setting. They can run demanding games at medium setting.
Are you kidding ? GT420M and GT525M both have 96 CUDA cores, and are *MUCH* faster than 6470/90 w/ 160 SPs . 6470 competes w/ GT520M (48 CUDA cores) IMO while GT525M is equivalent of HD5650/HD6630 and GT540 is equivalent of HD6650.
NVIDIA GT 550M ATI mobility radeon 6750
GT550M is just an overclocked GT525M and 6750 should be noticeably faster given it has GDDR5 RAM.
5. High-end GPUs NVIDIA GT 555M
This particular GPU has 2 very different versions, consider detailing them to avoid confusion.
Make sure you find out the model no. and look up the chart before buying. Finally, if you have the above chart before you and the model no. of the GPU, do not need to find out or bother if the GPU has 1 GB or 2 GB or even 3 GB of video memory, or if the memory is GDDR3 or GDDR5.
Mostly its DDR3 for laptop GPUs, not GDDR3{QUOTE]Note: Sony underclocks GPUs in some of its laptops for stability purposes.[/QUOTE]Actually, this came to light in the HD5650 scenario with previous gen EB series laptops. HD5650 's spec sheet says Core clock as 450-600 Mhz IIRC . Sony chose 450 Mhz, HP chose 550Mhz . You cant complain. Its the ambiguity on part of AMD.In the latest cards, AMD had distinguished lower clocked cards as 6630 to the normal 6650.

Back