The Fitness Thread !

Is swimming equivalent to gymming?
Or a more simpler analogy:
Is walking equivalent of running?

Believe me I can post arguments both for and against this. :D
It all boils down what you want to get out of any such activities.

This is a great read too, but more on the technical side of things. Starting Strength is more like a personal coach in the form of a book.
Agreed, however with a slight difference :)
I would use Starting Strength SOLELY as a way to do correct movements and the physics behind.
But then the even Wendler 5/3/1 and Greyskull (derived from SS) do the same (without the biophysics). However, the SS is absolutely the best in this department.

The reason why I brought up Beyond Brawn is because for more normal human beings with no bent of athletics (ever in the lives) - even programs given in SS/5-3-1 etc can become too much. Remember SS by Mark Ripp who owns a gym where lots of college athletes come. Wendler is a powerlifter. To give you an analogy in bodybuilding: one cannot become Arnold by doing what Arnold did. In fact one can never become an Arnold.

That's when a person is supposed to use the brain and check how well he is responding to the stimulus called weight training, how much rest does he require, how less important may be the proteins (lets say even after gulping 500g proteins you are not getting any stronger and only putting on fat etc) (http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/post-workout-protein-dare/) ... and so on.

If one doesn't has the patience to read through the Beyond Brawn he must MUST read this:
http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/finding-an-effective-workout/
http://maggiewang.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/the-elimination-experiment-workout.pdf

Last edited:
@ssslayer : The links posted by you were very informative. Thanks for that. Also how do you practice eat stop eat ? 2 times a week or on your own basis ?

I have started to minimize my time at gym by cutting out my rests and working harder at completing exercises. Running on inclines is helping me a lot and it is definitely building my stamina. As of now I am following cardio + body weight daily. It takes about 1 hour 10 minutes for me to complete my exercises.

I have also started eat stop eat. The food logging is thing of a past now, not because I am lazy but I now know approximate calories intake as my meals do not vary too much.

@ssslayer Mark Rippetoe has also written a book called Practical Programming for Strength Training which deals with what you're describing in detail.
Yes he has written an excellent book Practical Programming. In fact it is a must read for anyone into the Iron game.
However, (perhaps I didn't read thru properly), the programming was still somewhat in the lines of Mon - do X, Wed - do Y, Fri - do Z (or X again).
Even the intermediate stuff. I didn't read the advanced programming.

However, in my experience, fixing days, sets, reps etc does not make much sense - because everyone is so bloody different from another. Rippetoe's assumption is that all are humans, thus all have similar response to stimulus. Only that once progression slows, you need to change programs.
Also Stuart McRobert's approach is more for someone who is following the volume training crap (= majority of the junta).
Readers of Ripp would already be intelligent enough to know what they want and how to go about it.

Would you believe that I go to gym only two days a week. Bodypart frequency is only one per week. I came to this after experimenting the way Brad Pilon outlines in the link given above (http://maggiewang.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/the-elimination-experiment-workout.pdf)
And I feel much better than when I was doing the SS program (even though I was not doing squats everyday). With no change in performance.
I of course feel much much better than what I felt doing Arnold's workout or any other volume crap thrown to everyone and known to all gym "trainers".

Also I made certain tweaks on the go.
Why? Because I saw and felt the difference. Unfortunately I am not aware if SS and/or PP talk about this.
Compound upper body exercises are 3 sets 3-5 reps. (Doing higher reps just make my outer extremity, like triceps when doing bench press or biceps when doing pullups, tired.)
Compound lower body is 2 sets 10-15 reps. (Doing lower reps really kill and doesn't allow recovery till the next workout day, doing more sets makes me lazy the whole next day)

Also perhaps what I say next would piss most ppl off but this is the truth:
Whatever physical and strength growth you really could achieve you would've achieved in the first 2-3 years. Whether you were doing starting strength, Blood & guts, Arnold program or 5/3/1. Changing the program will not change your strength or physique.
Unfortunately this is because of the genetic angle.

People who are genetically predisposed to great strength can reach 500 lb deadlifts even on Serge nubert's program. And people genetically predisposed to looking like Arnold will start looking so even on 5/3/1 program.

For the others, searching for a program is a sign that you are not progressing either with weights or with physique, and in both cases first undertake housekeeping job of removing the crap and trying to find your own program/routine/groove.

@blkrb0t: my post was not directed towards you in particular or Ripp, but then I didn't want to create another post :p

@ssslayer : The links posted by you were very informative. Thanks for that. Also how do you practice eat stop eat ? 2 times a week or on your own basis ?

I have started to minimize my time at gym by cutting out my rests and working harder at completing exercises. Running on inclines is helping me a lot and it is definitely building my stamina. As of now I am following cardio + body weight daily. It takes about 1 hour 10 minutes for me to complete my exercises.

I have also started eat stop eat. The food logging is thing of a past now, not because I am lazy but I now know approximate calories intake as my meals do not vary too much.
I am not doing ESE, but mine is more on the lines of the Warrior diet thing.
I chose the Warrior diet because I find it difficult to stop once I begin eating (perhaps that is the reason why I touched 88 kg :p )
So it is much easier for me to gobble down food every night till brim (it takes me 30-45 min of continuous eating).

Its a personal thing, some people are not physically comfortable with eating so much at one go - ESE is much better in such cases.

You right about logging/tracking - though I was not doing it previously too, but I used to make a mental note.
Now I simply don't care.

#####

Also to everyone on this thread.
If you really want to set realistic goals and expectations: Check out the pre 1945 era ( = presteroids. At that time bodybuilding and strength training went hand in hand).
Those guys were genetic freaks and that's why we can search their pix and feats today. You will never become even 50% of them.

Last edited:
SS and SL are complicated programs (for beginners) You need a power rack with safeties to be able to do the program. As of now you may begin with calisthenics.
Use ingenuity to find ways to do pullups/parallel bar dips/reverse crunches in your house/park/wherever possible nearby.
Umm I guess we are on crossroads here due to some misinterpretation (Which is my fault).

By strength I mean just the body weight exercises like the ones I mentioned in my earlier posts such as push ups, squats, lunges etc. I don't wish to go gun ho at the weights and try to build muscle when I have flab to burn.

I have been doing a thorough reading and the following is my conclusion :

Cardio is beginning of the fat loss regime which is accentuated with the strength training. Why ??
Because strength training helps to develop muscles which burn calories way faster than the fat. Also for a newbie the basic strength training helps him/her to develop muscles which are again used to train harder during cardio. For eg :
We need to focus on glutes,calves etc through strength training so that they can support the knees during running and hence there is comparatively less impact.

@Others : Please correct me if I am wrong.

P.S : Can you please throw some light on SS and SL programs ?

For beginners Starting Strength is the best. Programs which work on majority of the people are most effective. SS and SL fall in these beginner programs IF done correctly. But as they say in life and in the fitness world : Don't stop doing what works for you and tweak/ change what doesn't or stops working.
Yes he has written an excellent book Practical Programming. In fact it is a must read for anyone into the Iron game.
However, (perhaps I didn't read thru properly), the programming was still somewhat in the lines of Mon - do X, Wed - do Y, Fri - do Z (or X again).
Even the intermediate stuff. I didn't read the advanced programming.

However, in my experience, fixing days, sets, reps etc does not make much sense - because everyone is so bloody different from another. Rippetoe's assumption is that all are humans, thus all have similar response to stimulus. Only that once progression slows, you need to change programs.
Also Stuart McRobert's approach is more for someone who is following the volume training crap (= majority of the junta).
Readers of Ripp would already be intelligent enough to know what they want and how to go about it.

Would you believe that I go to gym only two days a week. Bodypart frequency is only one per week. I came to this after experimenting the way Brad Pilon outlines in the link given above (http://maggiewang.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/the-elimination-experiment-workout.pdf)
And I feel much better than when I was doing the SS program (even though I was not doing squats everyday). With no change in performance.
I of course feel much much better than what I felt doing Arnold's workout or any other volume crap thrown to everyone and known to all gym "trainers".

Also I made certain tweaks on the go.
Why? Because I saw and felt the difference. Unfortunately I am not aware if SS and/or PP talk about this.
Compound upper body exercises are 3 sets 3-5 reps. (Doing higher reps just make my outer extremity, like triceps when doing bench press or biceps when doing pullups, tired.)
Compound lower body is 2 sets 10-15 reps. (Doing lower reps really kill and doesn't allow recovery till the next workout day, doing more sets makes me lazy the whole next day)

Also perhaps what I say next would piss most ppl off but this is the truth:
Whatever physical and strength growth you really could achieve you would've achieved in the first 2-3 years. Whether you were doing starting strength, Blood & guts, Arnold program or 5/3/1. Changing the program will not change your strength or physique.
Unfortunately this is because of the genetic angle.

People who are genetically predisposed to great strength can reach 500 lb deadlifts even on Serge nubert's program. And people genetically predisposed to looking like Arnold will start looking so even on 5/3/1 program.

For the others, searching for a program is a sign that you are not progressing either with weights or with physique, and in both cases first undertake housekeeping job of removing the crap and trying to find your own program/routine/groove.

@blkrb0t: my post was not directed towards you in particular or Ripp, but then I didn't want to create another post :p

I am not doing ESE, but mine is more on the lines of the Warrior diet thing.
I chose the Warrior diet because I find it difficult to stop once I begin eating (perhaps that is the reason why I touched 88 kg :p )
So it is much easier for me to gobble down food every night till brim (it takes me 30-45 min of continuous eating).

Its a personal thing, some people are not physically comfortable with eating so much at one go - ESE is much better in such cases.

You right about logging/tracking - though I was not doing it previously too, but I used to make a mental note.
Now I simply don't care.

#####

Also to everyone on this thread.
If you really want to set realistic goals and expectations: Check out the pre 1945 era ( = presteroids. At that time bodybuilding and strength training went hand in hand).
Those guys were genetic freaks and that's why we can search their pix and feats today. You will never become even 50% of them.

Theoretical reason is because strength increases muscle which in turn burns more fat and thus cardio post workout gets more effective and you focus on doing the harder stuff when you are fresh. Congos on the weight loss.
Reason given is that once you have used your energy during strength training, the body burns fat to generate energy needed for running/cardio. It worked for me and I lost around 15kgs at a steady pace. It might work for you but only you can come up with a routine that works for you. Also losing weight early will be easy and work despite the regime you choose. Only once you hit a plateau will you be able to truly find out what works for you.

by 'double workout routine', do you mean double-split, double-sessions, or a strength-hypertrophy hybrid routine?! i suppose you mean the middle one?

Need a light volume but effective workout.

Looking to re-joing the gym. Current weight ~ 75kg, Height ~ 6ft

Goals - Cut the stomach fat thats growing slow and steady. Gain muscle, stamina and flexibility.

Please suggest something. I don't want to sit and research for another week, just want to get to it. Feel bloated even though the weight doesn't seem to have changed more than half a kg.

by 'double workout routine', do you mean double-split, double-sessions, or a strength-hypertrophy hybrid routine?! i suppose you mean the middle one?

2 sessions per day. Morning and evening.
My aim: Pullups: 75 Pushups: 150 Parallel bar: 100 Apart from regular workouts.
Btw my current max reps is Pullups: 25 Pushups: 60 Parallel bar:20

I want to know any workout that does not adversely impact my regular routine & also achieve this goal.
thanks

Not expecting changes tomorrow but by DEC at least, as I can afford 4 hrs/ day gym . And also Indian diet chart would be helpful.

I want to know any workout that does not adversely impact my regular routine & also achieve this goal.
thanks

Not expecting changes tomorrow but by DEC at least, as I can afford 4 hrs/ day gym . And also Indian diet chart would be helpful.
One word - OverTraining.

thanks

sorry, can't suggest anything personally, but only what google can tell, as i think i did double-sessions only once a long time ago, for a brief duration. can only recommend to work upto your aimed figure, gradually. you already can do a good many; so it shouldn't be very tough to move further up. i was hoping you had asked for a hybrid-routine, and could've suggested something on that, but on second thought, deemed it better to first get your query clarified from you.

by 'regular routine' do you mean your daily-life routine, or your regular workout routine? and following any workout presently? would advise you to follow the regimen on alternate days, as you would want to have ample rest for recovery before hitting the floor and the bars again with a strenuous routine. a diet-chart can be suggested by other knowledgeable members here; can just tell some quick-tips, like not to shy away from whole foods (whole milk, multi-grains, etc.), and definitely include various kinds of grams, beans, sprouts in your diet, esp. the (soaked) brown chickepea (kala chana) in the morning/evening. i can vouch for the snappy, positive effects/results that it adds to endurance & strength!

P.S. - by planning to follow double-sessions, may we know what are you aiming at, apart from what you wrote? you wish to do split-body routines for hypertrophy/toning your muscles & for aesthetics of it, or for something else, like as a supplementary training for any sport/activity (though i doubt the latter, as you would be spending 2 sessions at the gym itself)? for getting still better at what you wrote, perhaps it would be better to focus on low-volume low/progressive-intensity training with weights, so that you can devote more time and energy for your aimed exercises.

anyway, over to other members. see what they have to suggest.

Last edited:
sorry, can't suggest anything personally, but only what google can tell, as i think i did double-sessions only once a long time ago, for a brief duration. can only recommend to work upto your aimed figure, gradually. you already can do a good many; so it shouldn't be very tough to move further up. i was hoping you had asked for a hybrid-routine, and could've suggested something on that, but on second thought, deemed it better to first get your query clarified from you.

by 'regular routine' do you mean your daily-life routine, or your regular workout routine? and following any workout presently? would advise you to follow the regimen on alternate days, as you would want to have ample rest for recovery before hitting the floor and the bars again with a strenuous routine. a diet-chart can be suggested by other knowledgeable members here; can just tell some quick-tips, like not to shy away from whole foods (whole milk, multi-grains, etc.), and definitely include various kinds of grams, beans, sprouts in your diet, esp. the (soaked) brown chickepea (kala chana) in the morning/evening. i can vouch for the snappy, positive effects/results that it adds to endurance & strength!

P.S. - by planning to follow double-sessions, may we know what are you aiming at, apart from what you wrote? you wish to do split-body routines for hypertrophy/toning your muscles & for aesthetics of it, or for something else, like as a supplementary training for any sport/activity (though i doubt the latter, as you would be spending 2 sessions at the gym itself)? for getting still better at what you wrote, perhaps it would be better to focus on low-volume low/progressive-intensity training with weights, so that you can devote more time and energy for your aimed exercises.

anyway, over to other members. see what they have to suggest.

Overtraining? I think its possible, only issues is diet & rest...and to an extent time.
The thing is I am perparing for exams and have 6 months time, I need something to take my mind of :)
By regular routine I mean daily Workout . Right now I am following 6 days 2 hr workout....My main headache has been diet, (indian specific). Anyone got a diet chart?

thanks

You are trying too hard. This kind of workout can also lead to overtraining . Also your cortisol levels builds up over time and it will hinder fat burn , although that's not your aim. 2 Sessions are done usually by professional bodybuilders who spend entire day only training and then re-fueling their body according to their exact macro numbers . If you aren't following a diet that hits your macro needs , with this kind of routine , soon you will start burning into muscle. I'd suggest you change your goals. Look for overall health goal(cardio/morderate weights) or muscle building goal. I'm not sure how the goal you currently set is going to help you especially with 2 workouts 5 - 6 days a week or maybe are you into calisthenics ? But please change to 1 workout per day and spend the rest of the time getting diet and rest right.

I used to think like that when I first joined the gym. I will workout two times a day, do everything with twice intensity, become moar fittar than evar.

Back