The Fitness Thread !

I eat them half an hour before every workout early morning. Might buy caffeine tabs for the energy.
I had a thought of preparing my own pre workout by mixing the basic ingredients like caffeine, beta alanine, citrulline etc but then the overall cost becomes similar to a PW lol

Last edited:
could someone from Mumbai please tell where can 'laathi galli' be found, exactly? i have come to know that it's in/near Byculla, but wanted to know about any landmark(s) near it. wish to purchase a pair of good sticks (if could get the rattan-type, then better) to initiate some practice in Arnis/Eskrima.
would go there tomorrow, and report back here.

could someone from Mumbai please tell where can 'laathi galli' be found, exactly? i have come to know that it's in/near Byculla, but wanted to know about any landmark(s) near it. wish to purchase a pair of good sticks (if could get the rattan-type, then better) to initiate some practice in Arnis/Eskrima.
what all martial arts do you know?

Sensei! Allow me to be your student!

I need some help.

I m at present grossly overweight by around 15-17 Kgs. I want to loose 10Kg in next 6 months' time, with most fat from abdominal, hips & thighs. My height is 5' 6".

What exercise and its routine I should follow ?

Also I m not willing to join Gym. Couple of years back I had lost 6-7 Kgs in gym but now I have gained more than that. I m open to spend 2-3k and get any weight tools.

^^You are not willing to join gym because you can't make time for it, or because you just don't want to?

Anyway, you can start with freehand exercises at home, and run in fields nearby (HIIT). Will lose you a lot of weight over time, while building strength at the same time. Don't know what you can buy in just 2-3k; maybe a good skipping rope and a pull-up bar.

^^You are not willing to join gym because you can't make time for it, or because you just don't want to?

Don't know what you can buy in just 2-3k; maybe a good skipping rope and a pull-up bar.

I could not manage time properly during last time I joined gym. Also want to cultivate habit of exercising regularly without being tied with gym.

I quoted 2-3k as in my town dumbbells of 5Kg were available for around 1800, in form of plates.

During my tenure at gym I used to do cardio & weights alternate day. However I still remained noob in names of exercises and their effects for weight lose/strength/stamina.

Dumbells are a waste of precious money. Get a decent barbell instead, plus weighted plates as required. And invest on a power rack (or squat rack) as time goes by. You will appreciate the setup much better.

You can do almost all major exercises, save for squat and bench press with just barbells.

Basically, if you have this combination (barbell+weights+squat rack+bench), then you are set.

Dumbells are a waste of precious money. Get a decent barbell instead, plus weighted plates as required. And invest on a power rack (or squat rack) as time goes by. You will appreciate the setup much better.

You can do almost all major exercises, save for squat and bench press with just barbells.

Basically, if you have this combination (barbell+weights+squat rack+bench), then you are set.

Any directions on particular barbell sets ? It has been great help. Also how effective aerobics are ? Can I do aerobics and weights alternate day ?

Also if possible do point to some site/guide/video showing possible basic exercises I can do.

Santa got me these lol..

162.50 kgs total weight.

7 feet olympic bar

olympic spring collars.

Olmypic Weights 1.jpg

Olmypic Weights 4.jpg

[DOUBLEPOST=1387995354][/DOUBLEPOST]

My home gym is all set now!

Any directions on particular barbell sets ? It has been great help. Also how effective aerobics are ? Can I do aerobics and weights alternate day ?

Also if possible do point to some site/guide/video showing possible basic exercises I can do.
An Olympic bar and weighted plates. That's it. Refer to what @Rockfella has posted above. You can just buy the bar at first and practice technique. As you go along, you can keep buying weights as required. Also, a bench and power rack later on.

Aerobics are fine too. Just don't push your body too hard. If you ask me, I wouldn't recommend working out every day. Just do some mild stretching exercises before and after workouts (10 minutes is enough). Concentrate on building your strength.

For exercises, you can refer: http://www.exrx.net/

Here's an image from the web for reference sake:
AOiA6l1.jpg?1

Notice the bar placed on the rack, the bench in between, and the weights kept on the side.

@Rockfella Do put up an image of your setup too :)

Last edited:
what all martial arts do you know?

Sensei! Allow me to be your student!

:shy:
you could practise with me as a fellow student/practitioner. :D
i can't say and i won't say that i 'know', but have had some fairly decent exposure to Karate (Shotokan, Shito Ryu), JKD, Kuoshu, Keimoudo in the past years.

by the way, was successful (thanks to a very elderly gentleman) in finding 'laathi gali' and procure 2 pairs of sticks (short & longer).

nJtEBql.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here using Resistance Bands? I am using Bodylastics and am finding them to be really good. First of all, I am able to use it without having to worry about it snapping on my face because they feel really sturdy. Secondly, I like the range of motion I am able to achieve with the band. Somehow it feels better than dumbbells. While I think I might not really be able to bulk up using bands, I feel its a good product to use for generally fitness and muscle toning.

Last edited:
:shy:
you could practise with me as a fellow student/practitioner. :D
i can't say and i won't say that i 'know', but have had some fairly decent exposure to Karate (Shotokan, Shito Ryu), JKD, Kuoshu, Keimoudo in the past years.

by the way, was successful (thanks to a very elderly gentleman) in finding 'laathi gali' and procure 2 pairs of sticks (short & longer).

nJtEBql.jpg
How many years have you been practising?

strictly speaking (counting out some intermittent times/intervals of relative inactivity due to academic studies, professional training, injuries), about 11-12 years, with the latter ones seeing concentration of self-practice amalgamated with some learning.

My old contraption when I used to think : Where will i keep a power rack so use this & weights are weights lol.

1.JPG

Started out buying the power rack first.

2.jpg

Then an imported rubber mat which looks like it was made for this purpose as the size was perfect!

3.jpg

Some mods here and there to avoid unwanted metal to metal contact.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.JPG

Painting the re-enforced bench frame made locally by a gym machine builder.

7.jpg

Painting the re-enforced bench frame made locally by a gym machine builder.

8.jpg

Drying ..

9.jpg

High height chin/pull-up bar, spray painted black, used best quality MS pipes.

10.JPG

used same high quality MS pipes to make a DIY dip "station" A separate dip station is 5-25k and takes extra space. This and the bar diy was about 3-4k including everything!

11.JPG

Heavy pillow block bearings for reverse hyper (bought from GB Road New Delhi) Rs. 500 for both.

12.jpeg

Block board ..

13.jpeg

Reverse hyper in the making ..

14.jpeg

15.jpeg

16.jpeg

Reverse hyper ready!

17.jpeg

Inzer forever power lifting belt 10 mm double prong buckle for Rs. 6420/-

18.jpg

Got these 5 days ago. 1.25 kgs X 2, 2.5 kgs X 2, 5 kgs X 2, 7.5 kgs X 2, 10 kgs X 2, 15 kgs x 2, 20 kgs X 4 = 162.50 kgs total weight + 15 kgs of the bar = 177.50 kgs.

19.jpg

All stacked up for the time being .. till I buy a plate stand (next purchase)

20.jpg

Indian 7 feet 50mm Olympic size bar along with good quality spring collars. I wanted to buy a very high quality bar. Elieko power lifting bar although available in India is for One lakh ! so it was ruled out and this is the best one available. Price: Rs. 2400/- (I don't think it can bear heavy dead lifting for long but I had no choice)

PS: Yes we still have old school TVs :p

21.jpg

Complete set-up, pic clicked few minutes ago.

22.jpg

Another angle... on the right is my room so my "gym" is 8 feet away from my bed. I will save time/cost of fuel/avoid bullcrap broscience and a lot of other useless shit that comes with commercial gym memberships :p

23.jpg

Total investment: 80k approx.

Last edited:
Back