The Definitive N900 Thread

Well I'll react like an Apple fanboi - its just a rare occurance being sensationalised by the media :D

UPDATE:

OMG , KDE uber developer gets an N900 : aseigo: n900, thoughts

Look what's going to happen now:

Thankfully, this isn't a "normal" device, relative to other devices out there on the market. The N900 is an open software platform. I can work on it and replace the bits I don't like. I can fix things and improve things to my heart's content (and time budget).

This is why I see not just some light but full-on rainbows-in-technicolor-glory at the end of the tunnel. When Qt hits this device in all its glory, there will be a very powerful stack of software that works very well on these kinds of devices that we are very familiar with and already have a ton of software built on top of. At Tokamak 4 we will have a few N900s, all of which will be sporting Plasma interfaces before we leave I'm sure, along with 4 smartphone-ish devices from Intel to give similarly loving to.

Right now, as I type these words, I am imagining this device with a beautiful Plasma powered interface. Qt applications galore, a sensible melding between apps and widgets and a more unified UI experience that not only blends with but works seamlessly with my laptop and netbook with all of that wonderful, wonderful hardware pulsing and beating beneath it, driven by what looks like a rather nice kernel and userland.

The N900 (and other such devices) are ours to make in our own image. They can be, and as a result will indeed become, more than they have been originally designed to be. This is what happens when a shared commons is allowed to blossom with Free innovation and Free market concepts.

Oh yessss!

Well, another feather :

Is the N900 the most hacker-friendly phone ever created? All sources are pointing to "yes." Just two short months ago, we saw one determined code monkey turn his N900 into a PS3 controller; today, we're looking at someone who did the exact opposite. If you've memorized the Debian source code and aren't afraid to dabble in the wild and murky world of N900 modding, you too can one day use a spare SIXAXIS controller in order to dictate gameplay on your Nokia handset. All the instructions you need are there in the source link, and for everyone else just looking to have a watch from the sidelines, hop on past the break and mash play.

PlayStation 3 controller used for N900 gaming (video) -- Engadget

So out of mild curiosity, if anyone is using the phone in India...what network plans are you using? And hows internet connectivity like?

@Sabby

I posted that already mate. Check one page back. Thanks for reminding us again anyway. This device is a beast! And I cannot wait for Maemo6 and the next gen N9XX device. :)

@letmein

People are using this device with MTNL 3G and they have only good things to say about the connectivity. That maybe due to the few subscribers of 3G services in India and hence the clean pipes for data transfer. With the limited infrastructure in our country for 3G, if the number of users go up, then the quality of service will go down fast.

vishalrao said:
Good set of fixes and updates, especially the opengl es 1.1 thing looks like...

Yes pretty much. But the most important fix for me is the WLAN fix which is supposed to stop the connection from dropping. I am hoping that it is sorted out.

Still no resolution on the Bluetooth and wifi combo issue. :(
Maybe we'll see the PR 1.2 fix heading our way shortly.

Have an iPhone 3GS, N900 and the Nokia 5800 right now and i wind up reach for the N900 when i want to do anything useful :).
If only they'd release Maemo6 and MeeGo for the N900.....:eek:hyeah:

Yeah, it is indeed. But the resolution should have been higher and the wasted space could be used for bigger screen. Btw, have you seen the Moto Quench ? I've almost decided it to be my 1st smart phone before n9xx :p

Guys, here is another good news

MeeGo repository going public later this month, coming to Nokia N900

Valtteri Halla -- Nokia employee and one-half of MeeGo's Technical Steering Group -- has blogged up a storm this week about the first baby steps that'll get the platform off the ground from its Moblin and Maemo roots, and from the sounds of things, we'll be able to get our first glimpse at it on production hardware before the month's out. Currently, the plan is to open up MeeGo's code repository to all comers "by the end of this month," targeting both Atom boards and the N900. Now, we certainly wouldn't say that MeeGo's decision to use the N900 as an early target device is indicative of an official upgrade down the line -- but this is particularly interesting in light of the fact that we've never gotten a commitment out of Nokia to bump its latest MID to Maemo 6. And besides, considering that the average N900 customer is a bit of a hacker in his or her own right, let's be honest: a code repository that supports the phone is just about as good as an official gold build anyhow.

From the original post made by Valhalla @ Towards Day One | MeeGo

N900 is a natural tool for

Submitted by valhalla on 3 March, 2010 - 23:45.

N900 is a natural tool for Nokia to drive MeeGo support for our designs and for the ARM CPU architecture in general. We want to have baseline HW that is powerful, easily available for anyone and form-factor stuff so that one HW works for most platform and application development needs.

That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use. Let's see,

Valtteri

It will not be a product release worthy port. Just hack friendly.

Back