TataSky to start 4k HD service beginning of next year

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: m.moneycontrol.com/news/business/tatasky-to-start-4k-beamingnext-year_1119620.html

Direct-to-home operator TataSky Friday said it would start beaming the 4K ultra HD feed in the first quarter of next year.
It will showcase 4K feed today by beaming the first quarter-final match between Germany and France in the ongoing FIFA world cup on Sony Six HD in association with Multi Screen Media Private Ltd.
The 4K standard is four times the current HD Mega pixels and has far greater clarity and offers more vivid colours on screen for viewers.
"We would start 4K contents commercially in the first quarter of the next year. We are working on it," Tata Sky Chief commercial officer Vikram Mehra told PTI.
He did not share the details of the DTH operator's investment in the project.
"We are investing in the technology of the future. We are trying to leapfrog the Indian viewers," Mehra said.
TataSky, a JV between Tata group and media giant Star had entered into an agreement with French firm Technicolor to supply 4K set top Boxes in May this year.

Box pricing not mentioned in the news source, but vivek krishnan said in the other thread, the box prices could be around 20k. :eek:

Only difference in SD and HD programming is you get to see the horrible makeup more clearly on people's zoomed up faces. We can probably count the freckles or pimples on people's faces with 4k.

Tata sky already struggling with number of HD channels already wherein other players have more.. Doubtful about them being the first one to give 4k.

To capture the market they should concentrate on maximum HD channels first, after all how often we Indians buy new TV? Forget 4k, more than 50% don't even have full HD at home.

Wait it out. Still no point in investing in 4k TV and dish. They are quite expensive. And I am not sure how many channels will be broadcast in 4k. I guess they will launch some demo channel and run the same content for a long time. They can instead look to broadcast more channels in HD. Wonder how many have actually bought 4k TVs

Makes noticeable difference at 55", also they are better of giving 1080P signal compared to the crappy 1080i that they are currently airing. 720P is much better than 1080i.

Makes noticeable difference at 55", also they are better of giving 1080P signal compared to the crappy 1080i that they are currently airing. 720P is much better than 1080i.

+1 to it, there's no channel broadcasting in 1080p, and they are targetting 4k,

Actually, many HD channels are broadcast in 1080i@50fps like Discovery, NGC, Sony Six, Star HD 1/2.

Broadcasting in progressive would take double bandwidth of interlaced signal I guess. So its possible that the 4k signal would be interlaced too.

was present at the screening of the 4k transmission.

4k makes sense if your 4ktv is atleast 65 inches and above. and your room size even bigger.

@40 to 46 inches of tvs, the HD transmission is more than decent. this coming from my present experience of videocon d2h HD transmission.

Back