Storage Solutions Suggest me a HDD drive for loading OS

thenvk

Adept
I am upgrading my rig. Now need a drive which concentrates on performance.
Already has a WD green EADS 1 TB drive. How good is the green drive to load OS.
I am currently looking at WD 1TB black.This will be used for Loading multiple OS

One most imp criteria is drive should be reliable. Can spend up to 6k.

thenvk said:
I am upgrading my rig. Now need a drive which concentrates on performance.

I am currently looking at WD 1TB black.This will be used for Loading multiple OS

One most imp criteria is drive should be reliable. Can spend up to 6k.

Get a Raptor. afaik the 150 gigger veloci is for 8k odd and 74gigger is 7k odd.

from Amarbir

thenvk said:

The Caviar Green is preferred as a dump drive for mass storage than as an OS drive since the speeds are on the lower side. The performance might take a hit esp. on areas such as loading the OS, games, data transfer and the likes.

The Caviar Black OTOH performs as good as a Seagate 7200.12 drive with faster read/write rates and the 32mb cache. Not to mention the better reliability offered by WD drives although this could vary from experiences. This's a viable option as an OS drive + backup.

Velociraptor as OD drive, or build a raid 5 array and use a slice of that (ofc ur h/w should support). At a minimum, raid 1 for OS drive.

Thanks all, for all the quick inputs. Right now,I have only 6k budget and also need some space.

How good is the WD black 1TB?

sysboot.jpg

sato1986 said:
i thought the velociraptor is VERY UNRELIABLE, am i wrong?

You certainly are! IIRC you did say the same thing on someone else's thread when he asked for suggestions concerning a hard drive.

Could you point us to the source which reffered to the unreliability factor of the velociraptors?

thenvk said:
Eazy...
Did u post any thing? I cant see it

The Cavair SE 16 (640GB)(the 1st drive posted in the visual by Easy) is the WD6400 AAKS.

Get 2 of these in AID 0 if you want pure performance. If you are from mumbai, you can get one for Rs. 3400 from Prime ABGB.

Beats the old raptors hands down.

Back