Intel (R) CPU T 2300 @ 1.66 GHz

512 MB RAM

60 GB HDD

some of the requirements for the distro

vlc media player support

office tools

cd burn tool

good applications/packages support

have tried puupy linux a couple of years ago but only tried it to run from USB.

Slax looks great with KDE. So downloading it now.

Will like opinions from other members also so that i can have some 2-4 distros in hand to try and choose best fit one :)

i would suggest rexbang linux if you do not want to install any software.it is a variant of puppy linux with a lot of the soft ware already included.it has chrome 12.libreoffice.vlc.gimp.openbox desktop-conky looks great? i was using puppy linux on an old pc booting off a usb. i wanted something with all major software ready to go .i found rexbang and am happy with it. it also comes with better games than puppy!!!!!

So i downloaded puppy linux and custom slax iso and tried both of them in virtualbox. I was not aware on how to install Slax to HDD. So went ahead with puppy linux and installed it on VirtualBox and later did install on the lappy.

Puppy Linux is superb out of the box and later K-Office and Firefox makes it perfect except for one bad feature, the file manager. The ROX file manager is really bad and also it does not show progress bar while copying/Moving data which is really really annoying :mad:

VLC is also giving trouble by displaying ASCII color art output. Tried the solutions given on Puppy Linux forums but did not work. Some members say that VLC 1.1 is not compiled properly for puppy linux. But those posts are all dated 2009

Also Hotkeys on the Dell laptop are not working :no:. But thats ok for the kind of performance the OS is giving out of box for just 129MB.

Now its ArchLinux and Lubuntu time.

thatsashok said:
So i downloaded puppy linux and custom slax iso and tried both of them in virtualbox. I was not aware on how to install Slax to HDD. So went ahead with puppy linux and installed it on VirtualBox and later did install on the lappy.

Puppy Linux is superb out of the box and later K-Office and Firefox makes it perfect except for one bad feature, the file manager. The ROX file manager is really bad and also it does not show progress bar while copying/Moving data which is really really annoying :mad:

Also Hotkeys on the Dell laptop are not working :no:. But thats ok for the kind of performance the OS is giving out of box for just 129MB.

Now its ArchLinux and Lubuntu time.
Slax forum: Installing SLAX to Hard Drive

Why Linux and not windows?? Any Specific reason, If yes then sorry and if No then you can easily install XP with SP3 and on Linux front you can try Mepis

@OP Why are you trying every distro by installing it in VM?
Instead try by making a USB Boot Disk.
You will save lots of time. And you can try the Pen drive on your friends computer too to see if everything runs properly or not.

paarkhi said:
Why Linux and not windows?? Any Specific reason, If yes then sorry and if No then you can easily install XP with SP3 and on Linux front you can try Mepis

Linux for a change :)
hotshot05 said:
@OP Why are you trying every distro by installing it in VM?

Instead try by making a USB Boot Disk.

You will save lots of time. And you can try the Pen drive on your friends computer too to see if everything runs properly or not.

Simply because I need not boot everytime I want to do try something on linux. I simply like it that way no specific reasons.

Back